Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
2,019 results
All reviewssymphony hallbroad streetgerman marketfull englishbull ringniabullringarena
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Booked well in advance as it looked excellent value! One night including a free drink, evening meal, disco, bacon butty after midnight, full breakfast and 1pm checkout next day! All for £55 per person. The hotel is in an excellent central location. It has a small car park for £12 for 24 hours. There are other multi storeys nearby but don't know the cost of them. Rooms are clean and tidy and some do not have much of a view. However if you are there for 1 night this should not be an issue. Our stay was excellent to be honest. We were allocated a table with others and had starters and dessert brought to the table and the main course was a buffet. The cuisine is Asian and it was very good. Staff were helpful and friendly. Just before midnight we went into the square for the countdown and fireworks. It was literally a 2 minute stroll to get there. Breakfast was rather busy. Queues for tables, shortage of various hot food items and an apparent lack of staff. Having said that I had a perfectly good breakfast with ample coffee and tea. Again staff were working hard at a very busy time. Hopefully the hotel will address these issues for next year as I would gladly go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room view over the square
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Mogatronprime

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the New Year Festivities. All of the city celebrations take place in the square next door to us so our location is ideal! I hope you managed to get a bacon roll after the fireworks!

Thank you for your comments about breakfast, were certainly did experience some peak times on New Years Day morning but I am sure when we see you next year we will have it right for you.

I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us before New Years eve 2014

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Oh dear what a difference 1 year makes. We stayed at this Hotel last year, and found it to be great, but alas this year was not as good. Although last year, some idiot set the fire alarm off in the early hours of the morning, thank god that did not happen this time.

To start with the check in staff were great no problems there really nice and friendly. The room we were given last year, had a fabulous view of the big wheel, this year we were over looking the back looking down on a yard, with a few cars in it. The carpet in our room 408, was you could only call it thread bare, not what you expect from a 4 star hotel. I could go really into detail of the rest of the room, but when all said and done we were only staying one night. But in contrast to last year, this room was very disappointing.

The location of this hotel is 2nd to none, it is perfect for the Christmas Markets, the shops on new street, and a pleasant walk through the German markets to the Famous Bull Ring at the bottom of the road. There is also an ice skating ring, and the big wheel, and on a night time the Christmas trees and lights really put you in the mood.

In the night I was in a need for a drink of water, due to being diabetic, the water in the taps are not very cold, so you are not sure how long the water had been in the pipes. I went into reception and looked around for a vending machine to buy a bottle of water, but alas no machine. I inquired at reception where I could purchase a bottle, and they told me that I could buy 1 from the bar, and take it to my room. The bottle was a 1 liter bottle of spring water for a cool £3.95, me being a careful Yorkshire man, nearly fell over, but needs must I paid what felt like a Kings ransom.

Break fast the next day, I can appreciate that the Hotel was extremely busy being Christmas, but when we got to the waiting point, there was only 6 people in front of us, and they were waiting for a table for 6. They cleared a table for 6 in a very nice position at the back of the restaurant, but failed to think, there was a disabled lady in a powered wheel chair, and although they have a ramp, down into the restaurant there is no ramp up to the seating area, where they were putting them. They then had to clear another table where the lady could easily access.

The disappointing fact was there was only 3 people clearing tables, and seating the guests, which on a busy morning was grossly under staffed. There were at least 8 tables where guests had finished, but the tables were covered with their dirty pots. Then I looked behind me and the queue for breakfast was nearly past the bar.

When we got seated it's a buffet type breakfast, and there was an excellent choice of breakfast, continental or traditional English, with fruit juices, fresh fruit etc. The waiter's / waitresses serve you either fresh coffee or tea to your table, but the waiter forgot to deliver ours, and we had nearly finished our breakfast, when we chased him up, which he did apologize unconditionally. Finally, what was worrying the breakfast staff were clearly over worked, and they did put their heart and sole into the job. This was clearly too much for a little oriental girl who collapsed whilst carrying a load of plates, and went crashing to the ground. They helped the girl into the Kitchen, and then as if by magic there was five waiters / waitresses.

Overall we did have a great weekend, but in comparison to last year, not as comfortable a stay as last year.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the big wheel, because the room was very nice as well.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear probes

Thank you for your review and my apologies for the slow service at breakfast. We did indeed experience a busy period at breakfast when you stayed and whilst we make every effort to ensure we have adequate staffing on, this did catch us by suprise. Our manning levels have since been reviewed and I am sure you will see by other reviews that we generally get some good feedback regarding our breakfast.

I am pleased to hear that overall you did enjoy your weekend and hope we welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Just returned after a fabulous week-end staying for a family wedding.Check in super quick!!!. Room warm, spacious all we needed with a lovely view of the market and Birmingham. Staff friendly,helpful and if you need anything extra? tea,coffee,clean towels readily available.Parking available on site,or directly opposite and cheap.For a 4 star hotel,right in the heart of the city the price very competitive.

Room Tip: We were top floor,very quiet and in a club double.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Jan F

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend and the family wedding.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had a lovely stay here on a business trip. On arrival check in took less than a minute. They had upgraded me to the Weller Suite without being asked! (Perhaps because I had booked via their own website, which has good deals on it). It was a wonderful space to work and then relax, with free internet at the desk, a separate large living area, huge bedroom and bathroom with big corner bath and powerful shower; fluffy bathrobes, all spotless. Room too hot but I turned down radiators and opened the window in the living room - fresh air without noise in the bedroom. Maybe the suite has been redecorated recently but it was cosy and so welcoming. The breakfast was plentiful with a lot of variety. The best bit was finding that the huge Christmas market is on the doorstep as one comes out of the restaurant! It was such an unexpected treat to walk along the Xmas stalls with a delicious Balti Chicken Tikka wrap - best of British! Birmingham has such friendly locals that I am looking forward to my next trip there and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Just make sure you ask for a refurbished room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear AK2706

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and made full use of the Christmas Market outside of the Hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Birmingham.

Thanks again

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed her 7th Dec for 2 night for Xmas market. Hotel obviously aware that rooms etc are too hot as fans were supplied! Room was clean and functional. Bathroom very dated.we paid full price for our room and expected more. Parking was a nightmare very few spaces but little tip,park over road in multi storey car park it was cheaper than if we had got into hotel car park £17 instead of £24.
Breakfast was good but the set up was ridiculous in a confined space so people waiting for toast while others trying to get hot plates for food. On a positive note the food in the Chinese/Malaysian restaurant was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear poshpawsSalisbury

Many thanks for your review and my apologies if you found parking the car difficult, we do have parking spaces for 70 cars and provide these on a first come first served basis. Indeed there is a multi storey car park a short walk away which can be used if we are full.

Thank you for your kind comments about breakfast and Bugis Street Brasserie and I will discuss with my Food and Beverage Manager how we can improve the flow of people around the buffet.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon