“Hotel Bar - Goldies”

Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Hotel Bar - Goldies”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Lunchtime with my friend – we meet there because it is quiet and convenient for us. However today the whole bar area was like a drop-in centre. One person serving at the bar – drink and food. No chance of us being served as the bar was inundated with people waiting in a queue, so we decided to sit and wait until it quietened down. Within minutes about 12 people arrived, sat down and proceeded to eat McDonalds, sandwiches from EAT, milkshakes and cans of pop. The whole area smelled of takeaway food – none of these people purchased anything from the hotel and neither did they sit with anyone that had. When we gave up and left after about half an hour, we asked to speak to the manager – this was difficult to request from the staff as none of them appeared to understand english. When we did eventually get to ask him when it had become acceptable to bring your own food, he professed to not know what we were talking about but did say that these people were at a conference that hadn’t provided catering and that they should have been eating their brought-in food in their conference room not the hotel bar. Strange that waiters and waitresses had been serving food to nearby tables and hadn’t said anything to them ……

Nice place if you like a college common room atmosphere. Not so nice if you remember you’re in an international hotel bar.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear HellsBells1962

Thank you for your review and whilst we have spoken about your feedback out of the public domain I would like to apologise once again for your experience in the bar.

We did indeed have a large conference taking place at the hotel that day who had made no arrangement for their delegates for lunch. Whilst the hotel provided a number of different options with regards to food, some people decided to buy food offsite and chose to ignore our earlier requests not to consume it in our bar area.

Obviously this is not the normal situation the hotel experiences and I am certain that next time you visit, lunch will be much more relaxed.

Kind regards

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Nice hotel comfortable Nd inviting room, was rather busy and noisy as it was situation next to the German market but I would definitely stay again. Hotel staff were very friendly and extremely friendly. Breakfast was good plenty of choice, only complaint was the extortionate hare forthe hotel car park!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jordan S

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Many thanks for your kind words about the team and breakfast. We do review our car park charges regularly and find we are competitive with other facilities in the city.

Kind regards

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed recently to go to the German market and some of the bars on the night. The car park isn't very big and the underground is poorly designed and small, but we did manage to find a space. The reception area is very nice, the lifts are quick and the corridors clean. The room itself was very big, but felt out dated and needed refurbishment. Although everything worked, the tv was good, the shower had a terrible spray pattern, but was at least warm. The room was also warm, quiet and the bed comfortable, so we got a good nights sleep. Breakfast was quite good, everything was warm and the food was plentiful, but there was a lack of waiting staff, I had to ask for more cutlery, glasses and juice. Overall, not bad, but a few areas to improve on.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Arran S

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the German Market. Since your stay, we have replaced all the shower heads at the hotel which has resolved the problem you highlighted.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon

Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Booked well in advance as it looked excellent value! One night including a free drink, evening meal, disco, bacon butty after midnight, full breakfast and 1pm checkout next day! All for £55 per person. The hotel is in an excellent central location. It has a small car park for £12 for 24 hours. There are other multi storeys nearby but don't know the cost of them. Rooms are clean and tidy and some do not have much of a view. However if you are there for 1 night this should not be an issue. Our stay was excellent to be honest. We were allocated a table with others and had starters and dessert brought to the table and the main course was a buffet. The cuisine is Asian and it was very good. Staff were helpful and friendly. Just before midnight we went into the square for the countdown and fireworks. It was literally a 2 minute stroll to get there. Breakfast was rather busy. Queues for tables, shortage of various hot food items and an apparent lack of staff. Having said that I had a perfectly good breakfast with ample coffee and tea. Again staff were working hard at a very busy time. Hopefully the hotel will address these issues for next year as I would gladly go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room view over the square
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mogatronprime

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the New Year Festivities. All of the city celebrations take place in the square next door to us so our location is ideal! I hope you managed to get a bacon roll after the fireworks!

Thank you for your comments about breakfast, were certainly did experience some peak times on New Years Day morning but I am sure when we see you next year we will have it right for you.

I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us before New Years eve 2014

Bradford w.yorks
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Oh dear what a difference 1 year makes. We stayed at this Hotel last year, and found it to be great, but alas this year was not as good. Although last year, some idiot set the fire alarm off in the early hours of the morning, thank god that did not happen this time.

To start with the check in staff were great no problems there really nice and friendly. The room we were given last year, had a fabulous view of the big wheel, this year we were over looking the back looking down on a yard, with a few cars in it. The carpet in our room 408, was you could only call it thread bare, not what you expect from a 4 star hotel. I could go really into detail of the rest of the room, but when all said and done we were only staying one night. But in contrast to last year, this room was very disappointing.

The location of this hotel is 2nd to none, it is perfect for the Christmas Markets, the shops on new street, and a pleasant walk through the German markets to the Famous Bull Ring at the bottom of the road. There is also an ice skating ring, and the big wheel, and on a night time the Christmas trees and lights really put you in the mood.

In the night I was in a need for a drink of water, due to being diabetic, the water in the taps are not very cold, so you are not sure how long the water had been in the pipes. I went into reception and looked around for a vending machine to buy a bottle of water, but alas no machine. I inquired at reception where I could purchase a bottle, and they told me that I could buy 1 from the bar, and take it to my room. The bottle was a 1 liter bottle of spring water for a cool £3.95, me being a careful Yorkshire man, nearly fell over, but needs must I paid what felt like a Kings ransom.

Break fast the next day, I can appreciate that the Hotel was extremely busy being Christmas, but when we got to the waiting point, there was only 6 people in front of us, and they were waiting for a table for 6. They cleared a table for 6 in a very nice position at the back of the restaurant, but failed to think, there was a disabled lady in a powered wheel chair, and although they have a ramp, down into the restaurant there is no ramp up to the seating area, where they were putting them. They then had to clear another table where the lady could easily access.

The disappointing fact was there was only 3 people clearing tables, and seating the guests, which on a busy morning was grossly under staffed. There were at least 8 tables where guests had finished, but the tables were covered with their dirty pots. Then I looked behind me and the queue for breakfast was nearly past the bar.

When we got seated it's a buffet type breakfast, and there was an excellent choice of breakfast, continental or traditional English, with fruit juices, fresh fruit etc. The waiter's / waitresses serve you either fresh coffee or tea to your table, but the waiter forgot to deliver ours, and we had nearly finished our breakfast, when we chased him up, which he did apologize unconditionally. Finally, what was worrying the breakfast staff were clearly over worked, and they did put their heart and sole into the job. This was clearly too much for a little oriental girl who collapsed whilst carrying a load of plates, and went crashing to the ground. They helped the girl into the Kitchen, and then as if by magic there was five waiters / waitresses.

Overall we did have a great weekend, but in comparison to last year, not as comfortable a stay as last year.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the big wheel, because the room was very nice as well.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear probes

Thank you for your review and my apologies for the slow service at breakfast. We did indeed experience a busy period at breakfast when you stayed and whilst we make every effort to ensure we have adequate staffing on, this did catch us by suprise. Our manning levels have since been reviewed and I am sure you will see by other reviews that we generally get some good feedback regarding our breakfast.

I am pleased to hear that overall you did enjoy your weekend and hope we welcome you back again soon.

Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Just returned after a fabulous week-end staying for a family wedding.Check in super quick!!!. Room warm, spacious all we needed with a lovely view of the market and Birmingham. Staff friendly,helpful and if you need anything extra? tea,coffee,clean towels readily available.Parking available on site,or directly opposite and cheap.For a 4 star hotel,right in the heart of the city the price very competitive.

Room Tip: We were top floor,very quiet and in a club double.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Jan F

Thank you so much for your review and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend and the family wedding.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I had a lovely stay here on a business trip. On arrival check in took less than a minute. They had upgraded me to the Weller Suite without being asked! (Perhaps because I had booked via their own website, which has good deals on it). It was a wonderful space to work and then relax, with free internet at the desk, a separate large living area, huge bedroom and bathroom with big corner bath and powerful shower; fluffy bathrobes, all spotless. Room too hot but I turned down radiators and opened the window in the living room - fresh air without noise in the bedroom. Maybe the suite has been redecorated recently but it was cosy and so welcoming. The breakfast was plentiful with a lot of variety. The best bit was finding that the huge Christmas market is on the doorstep as one comes out of the restaurant! It was such an unexpected treat to walk along the Xmas stalls with a delicious Balti Chicken Tikka wrap - best of British! Birmingham has such friendly locals that I am looking forward to my next trip there and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Just make sure you ask for a refurbished room...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear AK2706

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and made full use of the Christmas Market outside of the Hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Birmingham.

Thanks again