“Always a winner!”

Ranked #99 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Always a winner!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I've used this hotel many many times before. It's good value and it's location is perfect. I booked a room with breakfast included on line via my mobile phone. Easy! Never really had any issues before now and for that reason I'm still rating it highly.

We turned up, got checked in. However, on trying to enter the room we were met by a gentleman who was already occupying the room. So on second attempt in reception we finally got an unoccupied room. In the morning we had a knock at the door with a breakfast order for the previous room. It wasn't even the correct room number. Maybe the numbers weren't clear enough? When we had finished our very nice breakfast in the restaurant we proceeded to check out. We had already paid and were just after the invoice but realising when I got home they had not charged us correctly. Seems I've been charged for the free breakfast or maybe it was for the other room. I will be chasing this over charge .

Otherwise nice hotel, great stay, great food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Charlie C

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your regular stays at the hotel.

My apologies for the confusion during your stay and since, we have changed our processes to ensure that such an occurance can not happen again. Please contact me directly if we have not resolved your additional brakfast charge.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Best regards

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Good points: the room was warm, the bed was comfortable. We stayed in the studio suite which was large and spacious. Although we were right next to the ring-road, we found the room to be very quiet. The reception, on arrival, was spot-on, quick and efficient.

Bad points: The room was very dated. The lounge in the suite is not very welcoming and seems eerily bare. There was a spa pool in the bathroom but we could not get it to work, also the extractor fan did not seem to work. All the electric sockets were for old-fashioned round-pin plugs and there was just one small extension in the bedroom, located on the desk away from the bed. Changing the sockets to standard UK sockets should be a priority for this hotel. This is the first hotel room we have ever had with no lighting for reading in bed. The furniture was old and tired as were the carpets and decorations. Although clean, much of the furniture was worn with scratches to furniture and walls. 'Air conditioning' should be a minimum in any hotel, let alone a 4 star one, but this room was heated by a radiator and cooled by what looked like a stand-alone fan - we never used this, preferring just to turn the radiator off if it got too hot. Coffee and tea-making facilities were the bare minimum we would expect in any room and I would have thought they could have been significantly improved in a suite. There was a 'complimentary' bottle of water in the room but it was warm - although there was a fridge in the room, the water was just left on a desk. Also, the water was in a bottle with a top which was not 'sealed' (a ball and hinge affair like a grolsch bottle) and we could not tell if the water was fresh or not. The cost of the room was not ridiculous for a 4 star hotel suite but was outrageous given the quality of the room. We left comments in our feedback form and also commented to the receptionist on leaving - he did not appear to be particularly interested: one response was that no one had ever reported the lack of bedside reading lamps before which we thought was not really relevant to us.

Room Tip: Don't pay for a suite
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

My company booked me into this place during a conference, and so I'm lucky that I wasn't having to pay it myself. That said, I was still amazed that they paid 520 GBP for 2 nights. I got into the elevator and was told "ooh 2nd floor, you're in a posh room", I got the room and frankly thought I'd gone into a 1980s bed and breakfast.

The room was stuffy, with a broken portable air-con unit. The window right onto the A38 was poorly double glazed though, which provided some airflow, and of course some traffic noise.

The bathroom was old and tatty, with amateurish sealing around all the units, it reminded me of a student bathroom.

The TV was useless, unable to pick up half of the domestic channels (reminding me of my old On Digital box).

The staff did, as others have commented, seem very pleasant and the location is of course brilliant. The shame is that the bedrooms are just cheap and dreadful.

If people are getting 40-50 quid a night deals, then it's fine - and in fact very reasonable. Having been charged more than five TIMES that, it's a disgrace.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Manchester, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Stayed here on business for 1 night mid-week. Check in was easy and smooth. Was given a room on the 1st floor #109.

However, first thing that I noticed was how big the room was but instead of being pleasant, was an eery feeling of emptiness and very old fashioned. It was as if this was the room that had been forgotton about.

Carpet was worn and rippled. Decor was very old and in need of some TLC. Cupboard doors hanging off. A huge office like light on the ceiling with filler here, there and everywhere. Old heater in the corner and a clump of copper pipes under the desk. Even the telephone was at least 15 years old. 1 or 2 plug sockets in the entire room but had a plastic extension lead attached to them. TV not working neither.

So, I spoke to reception and explained that they had somehow forgotton to show the pictures of this room on their website and instead showed modern ones.. so I was upgraded to a Club Room on the 2nd floor. TV still didnt work (maybe this is an ongoing issues based on other reviews I have seen to), still had an extension lead to use and an old heater in the corner.

To say this cost £150 per night is a disgrace. Complete and utter rip off..

Room Tip: Go to another hotel If you stay here, dont stay on the 1st floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Very centrally located about eight to ten minutes from Birmingham New St Station. The public areas are nice, very welcoming. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable, a bit dated and in need of a refurb. Staff are helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. All in all this was great value for money and worth a re visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We got this fabulous deal with Travelzoo and as we had never visited Birmingham before we were quite apprehensive as to what it would be like. Firstly the hotel is right in the City Centre and we didn't have to use our car once. Free parking was in the deal so that saved a bit, as it can be expensive. The room was very good and clean. The view wasn't much but we didn't go there to look out of the window. We ate in the hotel restaurant, which is Asian food. We were very pleased with that and it was not overly expensive. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfasts were really good. We are visiting again on 7-9 February 2014 with 2 other couples (we recommended this hotel) so we hope it lives up to their expectations.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

4th time of staying here. Staff helpful and efficient. Breakfast nice plenty of choice. Room clean maybe a tiny bit dated but since our last day have new flat screen tvs in tge rooms so seem to be doing it slowly. Room very hot, fan provided but really was overwhelming, so mych so we had very little sleep. We would return thoughdue to staff and locationTV even though this stay was spoilt by lack of sleep due to the heat (January!) Would be lovely to see a pool or leisure facilities here too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple