“Good value city centre hotel”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Copthorne for a one night break while visiting relatives in Birmingham. It’s a great value for money hotel, well situated in the city centre, close to all amenities. The room was a little dated, but the bed was cosy, the shower was good and nice toiletries were provided. Breakfast was a fantastic experience, with a lovely choice of hot and cold options provided, all buffet service. Staff were very helpful and the décor in the restaurant was great. On the downside, we found the rooms to be very warm all through the night, and the plumbing in the bathroom was rather old and noisy, especially once guests were taking showers in the morning. Nevertheless, this is a great hotel for a one night city centre break. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Elizabeth C

Thank you so much for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your lovely commenst with regards to the team and for your great comments about breakfast.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

The location is fine. My room service was amazing. I even got my fresh milk put into ice for me without asking. Only one drawback, the Chinese restaurant was very bad. I wouldn't eat there again. The chicken was raw. Breakfast very good. But buy it when you arrive. It's much cheaper.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Penzance63

Many thanks for your review and for your great comments with regards to our Room Service. With regards to the chicken, all of our food is tempertaure probed before it is served to ensure it is cooked to the correct temperature and my apologies if you felt for some reason that it was raw.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed for one night on business, booked through work but mainly on reputation I was looking forward to it. The food was good as was the service but the room was basic and the window did not shut properly meaning that the noise from the jazz club nearby at night and then the compressors for the air con etc disturbed my sleep.
Wish I had looked on trip advisor

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Gussygeese

Many thanks for posting your review and my apologies that your window did not close properly, I am sorry you did not report this at the time and allow us to try and fix it for you.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the food and the service provided by the team which I will ensure is passed on.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at the Copthorne in Birmingham for a Saturday night in February 2014. It is the second time we have stayed there and I would recommend it for anyone wanting a hotel in the centre of the city. If it's your first time, it is a bit difficult to find but we found it easy enough because we had stayed there last year. Parking is a bit limited with two small car parks, which are both chargeable (£12 for 24 hours). This time we managed to park in the one under the hotel. Check-in was smooth and quick and we were allocated the Club Room 225. This was a lovely room with plenty of space to set down your cases. It had two large windows with a reasonable view. It does overlook a busy road but was not too noisy and certainly not noisy enough to keep you awake at night. The room had a lounge area with small table, comfy seats and a desk area. There was tea/coffee making facilities here plus a bottle of mineral water and a hairdryer. In the wardrobe were a trouser press, iron and ironing board. There were also two dressing gowns and bedroom slippers. The room had a large TV and a mini bar.
The bathroom was roomy enough with plenty of space to put down your bits and pieces. The shower was over the bath. They had large thick white towels, a toweling flannel (which you hardly ever get these days) and a range of complimentary toiletries. There was good lighting and plenty of mirrors in the bathroom and the bedroom.
The hotel has a Singaporean restaurant but we did not eat in so can’t comment on the food. We did have breakfast there which offered a reasonable selection of hot and cold buffet which all looked fresh or freshly cooked. The staff here were friendly and gave good service.
I would recommend this hotel but I must admit, the Club Rooms are better than the standard rooms so upgrade if you can afford it.

Dear Annathetraveller

Thank you for such a lovely and informative review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your second stay at the hotel. I do hope that next time you stay you have the chance to eat in our Singaporean Resturant, Bugis Street.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Only had a overnight stay while seeing a play at the Rep.
From checking in to leaving the staff where all friendly and helpful,nothing was to much trouble.
My room was very spacious and clean.Only gripe I have is that it was overlooking the bins at the rear of the building but for one night I could put up with that !
Breakfast was lovely and lots of options available.
Will be staying here again when next in Birmingham

Room Tip: I was in 310 which (as said above) is overlooking all the bins so avoid if poss
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear corfu_girl_7

Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your kind words to the team and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here for a couple of days for a conference, and like the last reviewer I was very grateful that my company was paying, and that I had not chosen the place for a holiday. I arrived in the dark in my car and the hotel is very poorly signposted from a very busy roundabout. I drove around 4 times until I found the entrance. The car park was tiny and when I parked my car there was another which looked like it had been broken into - the doors and boot were all open with no sign of any owner for the 10 minutes I was there. I was very uncomfortable about leaving my car there, but had little choice, and spent most of my two days worrying about it.
It was probably unfortunate that I arrived at the same time as a coach load of Chinese tourists, but I queued for about 20 minutes just to check in. No additional staff were called upon to help and once we had checked in, there was a further 5 minute wait to get into a lift. The reception staff were very apologetic and they were helpful whenit was finally my turn to check in.
I had a room on the 5th floor, which was thankfully pretty quiet, but the carpet under the TV needed a good clean and the lighting was pretty dark.
As a female who travels regularly on business I don't ask for much, but the Copthorne did not deliver on my basic expectations. The room did not have a working door chain for security - it was broken - and the bedroom did not have an iron or ironing board provided. The room service was prompt, but the food was barely warm when it arrived and I was not provided with any cutlery for the dessert, which was ( fortunately) horrid. And there were no healthy options on the menu at all.
The hotel offers a safe deposit service, but no safes in rooms, which was disappointing.
On the plus side the hotel was very central and within walking distance of the Symphony hall and the ICC, and there were a number of eateries within a minute of the hotel doors if I had wanted to eat out. However, the city centre at night was not attractive and again made me feel uncomfortable with the number of homeless people who seemed to gather in the area.
I am not of a nervous disposition and have stayed in hotels across Europe for work, but this was one of the very few where I have felt nervous about my personal safety and that of my car.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear otl

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and my apologies if the hotel did not live up to your expectations. My team do conduct regular patrols of the car park and I do remember the car you mentioned which had been left open by one of our guests. A member of my team did notice this after you and closed the boot and then contacted the guest to inform them of the situation.

My apologies that you arrived at a particularly busy time at reception, whilst we do pre check in our guests who arrive a s a large group this can still take a few minutes to process when they arrive.

Irons and boards are provided on request however I am in the process of sourcing additional to ensure they are available in every room. We have also introduced a bi monthly menu and I have asked my chef to look at some more healthy options for when it is next changed.

With kind regards

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I've used this hotel many many times before. It's good value and it's location is perfect. I booked a room with breakfast included on line via my mobile phone. Easy! Never really had any issues before now and for that reason I'm still rating it highly.

We turned up, got checked in. However, on trying to enter the room we were met by a gentleman who was already occupying the room. So on second attempt in reception we finally got an unoccupied room. In the morning we had a knock at the door with a breakfast order for the previous room. It wasn't even the correct room number. Maybe the numbers weren't clear enough? When we had finished our very nice breakfast in the restaurant we proceeded to check out. We had already paid and were just after the invoice but realising when I got home they had not charged us correctly. Seems I've been charged for the free breakfast or maybe it was for the other room. I will be chasing this over charge .

Otherwise nice hotel, great stay, great food.

Dear Charlie C

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your regular stays at the hotel.

My apologies for the confusion during your stay and since, we have changed our processes to ensure that such an occurance can not happen again. Please contact me directly if we have not resolved your additional brakfast charge.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.