“ok for the night”

Ranked #102 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Staffs
“ok for the night”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

On business, needed a centrally located hotel and this was an ideal location. Car parking available at a charge. Public car park nearby if hotel one was full. Reception area was not plush but served its purpose, reception staff friendly. .

Club room not huge standard double bed and done in an old fashioned classic style, usual amenities for a hotel room, tea coffee etc but nothing outstanding. Bathroom adequate with complimentary toilettries, towels nice and fluffy.

Corridors were tired and needed updating.

Breakfast was ok, usual cooked breakfast offerings and nicely cooked. Staff friendly.

On the whole a pleasant stay, great location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Bootrek

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. Indeed we are lucky enough to have our own onsite car park which is rare for a city centre hotel and we also enjoy the facilities of an NCP just over the road from us.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team here at the hotel and I will ensure these are passed on to them.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Chose this hotel as we were going to Symphony Hall -a mere 5 mins walk away. I had booked a club room as it was a special occasion. To me, Club rooms are usually more spacious, have better facilities etc. I dread to think what the standard rooms are like. Our club room (on the club floor, level 2 with a lift that seldom arrived) was dingy, small with a poky bathroom, poor toiletries and a hole in the bathroom door!
They do a wonderful scrambled egg with smoked salmon for breakfast. This is a tired hotel that desperately needs revamping and at present does not meet the expected standard of Copthorne Hotels!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was the second time I had stayed at the hotel, which is nicely located very close to the city centre and about 10 minutes walk from New Street Railway Station. Received a very cheerful welcome and check-in was speedy.

The feel of the hotel is a little dated, including the lifts / elevators. The hotel room was a good size with a large bed, good working desk, the usual tea & coffee making facilities, and unusually a 4-way power lead, which was handy as I could power up the laptop, charge the mobile phone, have the desk lamp on and make coffee without having to swap plugs over (a common challenge at many hotels I have stayed in!).

Bathroom was a good size and the toiletries are good quality. The hotel has a fitness centre although I didn't use it. According to the Hotel Directory the Wi-Fi was £5 for 24 hours but it connected on my phone and laptop with no prompts for any charges, although the speed was a little unreliable and dropped out a few times...but I was able to get online for free, which was useful. Had a nice view from the room, overlooking Centenary Square. Despite being next to the main road, there was not much traffic noise in the room and I slept well.

Food prices in the restaurant were a little steep, but I guess for a city centre hotel they were probably par for the course. Breakfast was good and there was a plentiful selection of hot and cold food, and at £12 wasn't too bad value. Room price was about average for the area but I wouldn't say was terrific value. The parking area around the hotel looks a little run down and from the outside the hotel doesn't look awfully attractive, to be honest

Overall it was a satisfactory stay. Service was friendly and efficient, but nothing in the hotel blows you away. Would be happy to stay again though.

1 Thank Davidjellis
Dear Davidjellis

Thank you for such an honest and useful review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I have passed on your kind words about the service you received on to my team and have discussed your other points with my management team.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel very soon

Alderney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I booked this through last minute.com and therefore got cheap rate. The reception was efficient and check in straight forward. On arrival found I'd got a double bed with separate single. Not bad for solo guest! Room and en suite clean and tidy but the furniture very tired. Wardrobe had notice "trouser press inside". No it wasn't. The space where I suspect the mini bar was now void. Clearly seen better days. Minor hiccup with wifi. Receptionist most helpful as was chck out. Car parking expensive but given location to be expected. Great location for city visit and given my price v good but not if paid proper rate.

walsall
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Decided to stay after hubby announced he was meeting friends for drinks. I love the reception area of this hotel and the bar but unfortunately the rooms are looking their age. Our room overlooked the back of the hotel, whereas I have stayed in rooms were we have had views up to The Symphony Hall. Staff very good and attentive. We dined in the restaurant - ok nothing special for the money and we were asked to leave as the area was closing to set up for breakfast.
Breakfast was disappointing- extremely busy! Quality of produce diapointing

Room Tip: Ask to have a room looking up Broad ST.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cat8964
Dear Cat8964

Thank you so much for your review and I am sorry you felt a little disappointed by your stay. We are in the process of redecorating our rooms and I hope next time you stay you will see some changes.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding breakfast as we normally get some great feedback about this and I will continue to monitor this to ensure our normal standards continue.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Oxford
Reviewed 22 April 2014

It's true what people say about this place being tired and worn out. It's an end-of-life, once wonderful hotel that I visit through work, 30 years too late. Perhaps it is good value for money but I don't see the bill.

Despite its short comings, I actually quite like it. The reception area reminds me of old 70s movies featuring plush hotels. It has been kept quite well and despite being so dated, still has a charm. The same is true of the lifts.

The bathrooms cry 1980s. They remind me of my childhood. Again, once top notch décor.

The strange rubber wheel contraption above the room door - every time I leave the room, I wander down the hallway, pondering what the hell it was once for (it has now been disabled).

I like thinking of all the people who have stayed here over the years. I look out over Paradise circus and ponder of the times gone by. The swinging 60s, when all this was built and people thought it was something cool and revolutionary.

I laughed when I arrived in my room and saw the Chinese takeaway menu as 'room service'. The restaurant downstairs is a Chinese too. There's no shortage of alternatives on the doorstep. Breakfast is ok too.

There's a jazz bar 5 yards from the door with live music. It's pretty good.

The staff are nice. They seem oblivious to the imminent closure and demolition that will result from the Paradise circus redevelopment.

The only thing that annoys me slightly about this place is the £5 WiFi charge.

This is a hotel that has grown old gracefully and deserves at least one visit for the sake of nostalgia, providing the price is right. Despite its many wrinkles, I'd choose this over a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask "can I have a good room please?"
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Good hotel location for shopping or visiting NIA. We did both. Rooms are perfect for that. Not top notch but clean. Good breakfast, especially if you get a voucher for money off. Only downside is parking at £12 a day but all city centre hotels the same albeit cheaper options. Wifi does work but you need code for free use and can be variable. Although did get iPlayer to work ok.

I have to say the staff are great , they made the visit good. All very helpful and willing to help.

Room Tip: Ask for inner room as away from busy roads.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear David G

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. Being fortunate enough to have our own on site car parking, we do review our prices regularly to ensure they are competitive within the city.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team here at the hotel and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards