“Met all my needs”

Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Met all my needs”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at the Copthorne as it was hosting a reunion dinner. It was my first stay there.
The location is ideal. It is right in the centre of Birmingham, a five minute walk from New Street Station. However, is not easy to find unless you know where you are going.
As others have commented, my room would have benefited from redecoration, but was adequate for my needs. It was clean, comfortable and quiet, had good supplies of tea and coffee, and a working TV. I did not check for WiFi. I had a very good night's sleep. I was on the top floor facing west, with a good view straight towards the Symphony Hall.
The food at the dinner I attended was good, as was the breakfast. Service was friendly and efficient, except for the reception desk that was slow and seemed a bit disorganised.
On my way home I realised I had left something in my room. I called the hotel. They found the item and posted it to me the next day. I was very impressed by that service.
The Copthorne is not going to win any prizes as a luxury hotel. However, if what you need is a hotel right in the centre of Birmingham, where you will sleep well and get a good breakfast, it offers excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Ian T

Many thanks for such an informative review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will discuss with my Front Office Manager how we can speed up the check in and check out process and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am glad to hear we managed to get your belongings back to you quickly and I hope, next time you are in Birmingham, you will pay us a visit.

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Manchester UK
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Just an overnight stay.. Easy to find, 5 mins walk from New Street Station, very friendly staff at check in, was offered a £1 reduction on prepaid breakfast and also £5 for 24hrs WiFi which was reasonable speed.
Rooms are decent size, soundproofing not excellent but acceptable. Bathroom lighting needs addressing though, only two side lamps which leaves it too dark
Big, comfortable, king size bed and good quality linens gave a decent nights sleep.
Overall would say this is a good standard hotel, well located and would have no problem staying here again

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Chadshill

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Birmingham.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Hotel is very well situated, very close to the Conference Centre and Rep theatre, and to the main shopping area. Furnishings a little shabby but comfortable. Bit miffed that the iron I asked for was never delivered and that the wi fi would not work so I could not do the work I had wanted to get done. Brasserie specialising in Singapore food with an early evening prix fixe menu worth a visit and the breakfast was good value too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Ruth J

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear you found our location so convenient and enjoyed our restaurant.

My apologies for not getting an iron and board to you, I have, since your stay, ordered new irons and boards for every bedroom so in future there will be one in the room ready for you.

I do hope I can welcome you back to the hotel very soon

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Booked this hotel with LM for a single night, it was one of their 'Secret' hotels. The hotel is located well and has friendly and helpful staff but it is very tired. This was sold to us as a 4* hotel but there is no way this is anywhere near that level, instead the bedrooms are more like worn out Premier Inns. We will probably give this hotel a miss next time and head for Broad Street.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear PALLYH

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am sorry if we did not live up to your expectations when you stayed. If you do change your mind when you are next in Birmingham, please let us know, as we would love to welcome you back.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Like most of the recent reviews here I can't fault the hotel for its location or cleanliness but the décor of the rooms is more than overdue for a change. It just feels a bit old and unloved, otherwise, the staff were very friendly, rooms were comfortable (but desperately need air con) and bathrooms sizeable.

Location is spot on, as close to the centre of Birmingham as you could ask.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the square or the Library.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear merkio

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear you found our location so convenient. We continue our ongoing redecoration programme and I hope next time you stay, you will see some changes.

Southampton
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Great, friendly check-in. The hotel has a good location for visiting Birmingham, however it's also next to a dual carriageway. No air conditioning, so some traffic noise - but it didn't disturb me.

The rooms were clean, bed comfortable and shower good, but it's very clear that this hotel is dated and shabby round the edges - could do with a refurb.

Breakfast was particularly good, nice quality ingredients with a wide choice including has browns. Service was also excellent. In fact, I would say breakfast was the strongest thing about my stay.

I would return, but it's not top of my list - there are better alternatives in Birmingham.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Martin F

Thank you for your review and for your lovely comments regarding breakfast. We do get some great feedback about breakfast with regards to food quality and service and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed it.

Being located in the city centre, traffic can be a little busy at times however our triple glazing does tend to prevent most traffic noise. I do hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Staffs
Reviewed 2 May 2014

On business, needed a centrally located hotel and this was an ideal location. Car parking available at a charge. Public car park nearby if hotel one was full. Reception area was not plush but served its purpose, reception staff friendly. .

Club room not huge standard double bed and done in an old fashioned classic style, usual amenities for a hotel room, tea coffee etc but nothing outstanding. Bathroom adequate with complimentary toilettries, towels nice and fluffy.

Corridors were tired and needed updating.

Breakfast was ok, usual cooked breakfast offerings and nicely cooked. Staff friendly.

On the whole a pleasant stay, great location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bootrek

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. Indeed we are lucky enough to have our own onsite car park which is rare for a city centre hotel and we also enjoy the facilities of an NCP just over the road from us.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team here at the hotel and I will ensure these are passed on to them.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.