Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
2,023 results
All reviewssymphony hallbroad streetgerman marketfull englishbull ringniabullringarena
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Booked to stay here for a week while studying in the central library. Booked breakfast as an extra to the room for convenience each day. Wasnt the cheapest option but seemed good idea at time. Half way through week cut open my sausage and chunk of blue plastic embedded in it. Obviously not hotels fault but suppliers. Was not impressed when i informed them to get a sorry bout that and thanks for letting us know. That was it! Supposed to be a top hotel chain and cant even compensate for cost of the meal. Attitude on management not up to much either. Will not be booking again in a hurry.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank nicky12390
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Nicky12390

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am sorry if you felt your issue could have been dealt with better. Since this incident we have contacted our sausage supplier who have confirmed that the blue piece of plastic did originate from them. We have returned all sausages delivered by them whilst they carry out an investigation.

I would ask that you contact me directly so that we can discuss this further

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped there for my 40th. I think just about every review I have placed on here has been positive in some way but....

Will NEVER stop again. 4 star accommodation RUBBISH! Aircon was a window and a fan you can buy from a local DIY shop, shower was not working properly either ice cold or scalding.

Staff didn't care, got my reservation wrong, only one lift was working, I had to queue to get to my floor.

Its was £96 for one night, in comparison if you look at the Ibis budget chains are half the price and have better bedroom amenities.

Don't get me wrong, I have travelled all round the world and I am used to roughing it. I object in the strongest terms when you pay for 4 star and get less than a two star.

If you are planning a visit to Birmingham the only redeeming feature is it's locality. But there are so many other hotels at a much cheaper price to choose from.

Bottom line, I feel robbed and would think more than twice before using this chain again.

Hope this helps.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JonK1
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Let's start with the good bits. Excellent Oriental themed restaurant with great food and attentive staff. The hotel is very convenient for central Birmingham.

Now the rest! Tired rooms with pretty aged decor and bathroom fittings from the 1980's. Door-card reader system is ancient and requires a 'knack' to get it to work. The gym is diabolical. Basically an old bedroom heated to that of a sauna, packed with old fashioned equipment which is pretty grotty.

I ordered smoked salmon and scrambled egg one morning. The egg had been microwaved and then roughly chopped up. No flavour or texture and too dry. Not very good for £11.95.

I wouldn't rush back....save for the restaurant for an evening meal, which was great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear AJD37

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear that you found our location so convenient and enjoyed our Bugis Street Brasserie.

My apologies if you found our fitness room too hot, I have asked for the air conditioning in this room to be checked to ensure it is working at maximum capacity. We are in the process of redecorating our bedrooms in order to freshen them up with a more up to date feel.

With regards to breakfast, I was surprised to read your comments as we normally receive some great feedback about our offering. Our scramble egg is cooked fresh and can confirm a Microwave is not used for this however, I have passed on your feedback to my Chef to see how this can be further improved.

If you do change your mind about staying at the hotel, we would love to welcome you back.

Best regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at the Copthorne as it was hosting a reunion dinner. It was my first stay there.
The location is ideal. It is right in the centre of Birmingham, a five minute walk from New Street Station. However, is not easy to find unless you know where you are going.
As others have commented, my room would have benefited from redecoration, but was adequate for my needs. It was clean, comfortable and quiet, had good supplies of tea and coffee, and a working TV. I did not check for WiFi. I had a very good night's sleep. I was on the top floor facing west, with a good view straight towards the Symphony Hall.
The food at the dinner I attended was good, as was the breakfast. Service was friendly and efficient, except for the reception desk that was slow and seemed a bit disorganised.
On my way home I realised I had left something in my room. I called the hotel. They found the item and posted it to me the next day. I was very impressed by that service.
The Copthorne is not going to win any prizes as a luxury hotel. However, if what you need is a hotel right in the centre of Birmingham, where you will sleep well and get a good breakfast, it offers excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Ian T

Many thanks for such an informative review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will discuss with my Front Office Manager how we can speed up the check in and check out process and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am glad to hear we managed to get your belongings back to you quickly and I hope, next time you are in Birmingham, you will pay us a visit.

Best regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just an overnight stay.. Easy to find, 5 mins walk from New Street Station, very friendly staff at check in, was offered a £1 reduction on prepaid breakfast and also £5 for 24hrs WiFi which was reasonable speed.
Rooms are decent size, soundproofing not excellent but acceptable. Bathroom lighting needs addressing though, only two side lamps which leaves it too dark
Big, comfortable, king size bed and good quality linens gave a decent nights sleep.
Overall would say this is a good standard hotel, well located and would have no problem staying here again

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Chadshill

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Birmingham.

Kind regards