“Centrally located and practical...”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottinghamshire
“Centrally located and practical...”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night as part of a larger group. All rooms seen were dated with very worn furnishings but all were clean. Our beds were new and comfortable. The bathroom is not well lit but there are mirrors elsewhere for doing makeup etc.
The hotel is handy for shopping and nightlife, approx 10 minute walk from the bars in Broad Street and approx 20 minutes from the Bull ring. There is a Wetherspoons, another bar and a little centre with food outlets and a Spar very close by.
As light sleepers, on arrival I asked if our allocated room was in a quiet location as I had read the road side was noisy. We were advised it was on the quiet side not facing the road BUT when we went to bed we were kept awake until past 2am by noise from the bar nearby! I travel with ear plugs just in case and could still hear it with them in! We complained next morning to be told the bar is not always noisy(?!!) and that the quieter rooms are overlooking the hotel car park at the front. Annoying that we weren't allocated a room there on arrival when we asked about location/noise. The rooms on the road side had an extra sound proofing window layer to block noise so might be better then the bar side. Our friends there slept fine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mmmm_foodie
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Mmmm_foodie

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us and I am pleased to hear you and your friends found our location so convenient for exploring Birmingham City Centre.

My apologies that you were disturbed overnight, I have passed your comments on to the reception team to ensure that appropriate rooms are allocated when quiet rooms are requested.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Ok so I agree that the hotel is not to a 4 Star standard but the prices should give you a clue!! Hotel is clean and tidy, breakfast good with plenty of choice and staff throughout friendly and efficient. safe secure parking for a reasonable overnight charge of £12.00, close walking distance to city centre shops, NIA etc.
Yes I would stay again without hesitation far better than a Premier Inn or Travelodge which are sold as budget hotels and cost more. The hotel is dated but the service from the staff Makes up for this and they do value your custom.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DANA2530
Dear DANA2530

Thank you so much for your review. We have a great location, we love giving fantastic service and think providing value for money is important and I am pleased to read that your review reflects this.

I do help we can welcome you back soon

Best regards

N Yorkshire
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Where to start!

The room was reasonable but the television was poor - the colour was faulty - everything was red. Someone did come to look at it and fiddled about with the SCART lead, but it fell out of the set in the end.

There seems to be a growing tendency to presume that everyone likes a certain type of food - here they are convinced that we all want to eat Chinese - so the restaurant is a Chinese, in effect. I like a varied menu in my restaurant.

You can eat in the bar instead - which I did - and ended up with a steak pie (they call it a Moo Pie which I suppose is meant to raise a smile!), a tiny scoop of peas and a handful of chips. It was ridiculously overpriced and you needed a sledgehammer to conquer the pastry.

Breakfast was in the "Chinese" and was very good - usual buffet style.

Definitely needs a refurbish urgently.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 67Sweetpea
Dear 67Sweetpea

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that our restaurant didn't fit with your requirements, we do work hard to try and offer something a little unique in Bugis Street Brasserie and ave a brigade of Singaporean and Chinese chefs cooking authentic dishes. I am sure you will understand that it can be difficult to cater for everyones tastes.

We do offer a more British menu in our bar and the Moo Pie you referred to is made by Pie Minister who provide excellent quality pies and have a number of awards for their products over the past couple of years.

South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I last stayed in this hotel about 25 years ago when it was almost new. It was a fairly nice place then but sad to see how it has gone downhill despite the surrounding area now being much more upmarket than it ever was. This trip was a short business stay. I was on the 'club room' floor, which I assume means the rooms were better quality than the average. On the plus side, all the staff I met were always very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was OK and the restaurant service good. However, the interior decor of the rooms was very tired, with paper scuffed and peeling off the walls in several places in the bedroom and bathroom, and although the room was otherwise very clean, there was a long, grubby-looking crack right across the bathroom sink. Colleagues had similar problems in their rooms on the same floor. Worst of all, there seemed to be no soundproofing between the bedrooms, I could hear the person next door coughing and using the loo. At least my room did not suffer from traffic or lift noise, as the reception staff had found me one in a quiet situation - not all my colleagues were so fortunate, the hotel location is very central to the main shopping, eating and and conference areas of the city (which is a plus) but is built in the middle of Paradise Circus, one of Birmingham's busiest road junctions, so you are surrounded on all sides by dual carriageways.

Overall, not the worst hotel experience I have had in recent years (that would be the Birmingham Metropole at the NEC) but not great and there are definitely better places to stay in this area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Last minute booking to attend dinner event the night before I was due to speak at Conference in Birmingham. As my wife joined me I asked to be upgraded to one of their suites ( which they do not sell online) - reasonable and sensible prices to upgrade.
Served its purpose - good staff , decent service from the restaurant team who also do room service. Breakfast was good.
Everything looks a bit old and certainly could do with a full/ total refurbishment as it has significant potential. Will I stay again - yes I would if I had a meeting within it or nearby, otherwise, I would prefer to stay at the Marriott or Radisson, not too far from Copthorne.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear RavBug

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay and I am pleased to read that you found the hotel good value for money and that service was up to our normal high standards.

Next time you are in Birmingham we would love to welcome you back and we look forward to the opportunity.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed one night, the staff were very polite and the room was very clean. Our room had clearly recently been decorated and with such a large hotel it is clear why some rooms might be alittle dates as refurbishments are done on rotation!

Great value for money and a great location!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Charlotte N877

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the room clean and comfortable. Indeed we are in the process of redecorating our bedrooms and I am pleased you liked it.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Best regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a business conference held at the hotel. It is in a very central location and easy to get to from the train station. The meeting facilities were good and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. However, the food and the hotel room were not very nice.

The lunch was ok, a hot buffet with a choice of main courses, I had salmon in cream sauce with potatoes and vegetables. The evening meal was pretty bad, only one menu choice, a thin watercress soup which a lot of people didn’t eat followed by a dry chicken breast with the potatoes and vegetables we saw at lunch. Confusingly, the restaurant was a Chinese restaurant, but all the food we were served was British. I could see other diners with Chinese food and it looked nice, so perhaps British food is not their speciality, and it is just arranged for conference guests. The pudding was sticky toffee, but it was more like a piece of dry cake sat on a bed of thin toffee sauce. This meal was £20 per head which was overpriced for the quality.

The snacks provided with the afternoon coffee were cakes cut up into small portions, so half a mini muffin or a fifth of a ring doughnut. There were only enough of these for one morsel each.

The room was ok, but had some serious flaws such as the carpet having massive wrinkles in it; I can’t imagine why it wasn’t fitted properly. The headboard was made of non-removable fabric which had a large black greasy stain in the middle from all the greasy heads that have leant on it over the years. The shower was quite good. Overall the standard of décor was poor and dated, with lots of small areas of damage to the walls, broken tiles etc. The electrical socket consisted of a white plastic extension lead glued to the wall. It was hot in the room even though it was quite a cool day outside. I was woken at 3:30am by loud banging noises from outside. My room was above a sort of ‘service pit’ for the 1960s block the hotel is part of, and I think it could have been metal bins being emptied, but it went on intermittently for ages; why were they doing this in the middle of the night?!

The view from my window was pretty awful, the side of the old Birmingham Central library. I understand that this is an important example of Brutalist architecture, but in the rain, with no visible trees/plants and all the rubbish/bins/skips etc. in the ‘service pit’ below it just looked super grim. I’ve attached a picture. I understand that the whole of the area ‘Paradise Circus’ is going to be redeveloped, including demolishing this hotel, so the owners probably don’t see much point doing a big re-fit of the rooms which it really needs.

If you have to stay here overnight, it will probably be ok, the food is edible, the room was survivable and the staff were nice. If you have a choice, I’d say go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TreePollen
Dear TreePollen

Thank you for your review and I am aware that I have responded to your comments privately. We normally get some great feedback from our meeting delegates and I am sorry this is not the case on this occasion.

I have passed on your comments with regards to the food to my Chef however the menu you were served for your evening meal was in fact requested by the organiser some time before the actual meeting and originally planned to be held in a private dining room. This arrangement was changed on the day of the meeting when we were requested to change the venue to the restaurant, my apologies if this caused any confusion over the menu you should have received.

We are in the process of redecorating our bedrooms and as part of this the carpets are being replaced in a number of bedrooms. I am sorry if you were disturbed overnight, we insist that no deliveries arrive before 6.30am so as to not disturb our guests, so I am not entirely certain as to what the banging noise from outside you heard was.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the near future