“Fine, but better choices in close proximity”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #99 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Fine, but better choices in close proximity”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I have to say, I was concerned about this hotel from the reviews I had read. I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually fine! Agreed, the reception area would have been very grand in the 80s but it was not as retro as some have said!
The bar and restaurant were quite nice in my opinion. In fact the breakfast in the restaurant was very good. Staff were great too.
The rooms did let the place down. Flowers on the curtains? Come on! Dated carpets and and seriously dated bathroom. But the beds were comfortable and that is important for me. I was unfortunately on the road side of the hotel and the noise was significant. Louder than another 4 star I have stayed at on Broad Street! I can not believe how many young drivers like to 'rev it up' until around 4 in the morning!
Overall, not as bad as some of the reviews suggest, but I wouldn't stay here again based purely on the fact that there are better 4 star choices 10 minutes walk away at similar prices.
If you're already booked up, don't worry, it isn't bad!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nick C
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Nick C

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of redecorating our bedrooms and I hope that if you do stay again you will see a change in the decor.

I am sorry if the noise from the road disturbed you overnight, we do have secondary double glazing units on our road facing windows to sound proof the rooms as much as possible, however, unlike Broad Street, we tend not to be disturbed by the various bars and nightclubs.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Used this hotel for our customer day, have to say I felt embarassed.

This hotel looks and feels tired.We had a set meal in the chinese restaurant one night and it was very average indeed.

Everything about this place looks tired, with dated decor and paint schemes. We stayed overnight at the Hyatt Regency across the road and wish we had used that hotel as the venue instead.

Boring and dated overall.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear AdamWUK

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent meeting with us and I am sorry if we did not meet up to our normal excellent standards. We normally receive great feedback from our meeting delegates on both food and service and I will be sharing your comments with the team to ensure this continues to be the case.

I was surprised to receive your feedback regarding Bugis Street Brasserie, our Chinese restaurant, as all of our food is cooked fresh by a brigade of Singaporean and Chinese chefs to ensure the food is as authentic as possible.

Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night as part of a larger group. All rooms seen were dated with very worn furnishings but all were clean. Our beds were new and comfortable. The bathroom is not well lit but there are mirrors elsewhere for doing makeup etc.
The hotel is handy for shopping and nightlife, approx 10 minute walk from the bars in Broad Street and approx 20 minutes from the Bull ring. There is a Wetherspoons, another bar and a little centre with food outlets and a Spar very close by.
As light sleepers, on arrival I asked if our allocated room was in a quiet location as I had read the road side was noisy. We were advised it was on the quiet side not facing the road BUT when we went to bed we were kept awake until past 2am by noise from the bar nearby! I travel with ear plugs just in case and could still hear it with them in! We complained next morning to be told the bar is not always noisy(?!!) and that the quieter rooms are overlooking the hotel car park at the front. Annoying that we weren't allocated a room there on arrival when we asked about location/noise. The rooms on the road side had an extra sound proofing window layer to block noise so might be better then the bar side. Our friends there slept fine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mmmm_foodie
Dear Mmmm_foodie

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us and I am pleased to hear you and your friends found our location so convenient for exploring Birmingham City Centre.

My apologies that you were disturbed overnight, I have passed your comments on to the reception team to ensure that appropriate rooms are allocated when quiet rooms are requested.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Ok so I agree that the hotel is not to a 4 Star standard but the prices should give you a clue!! Hotel is clean and tidy, breakfast good with plenty of choice and staff throughout friendly and efficient. safe secure parking for a reasonable overnight charge of £12.00, close walking distance to city centre shops, NIA etc.
Yes I would stay again without hesitation far better than a Premier Inn or Travelodge which are sold as budget hotels and cost more. The hotel is dated but the service from the staff Makes up for this and they do value your custom.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DANA2530
Dear DANA2530

Thank you so much for your review. We have a great location, we love giving fantastic service and think providing value for money is important and I am pleased to read that your review reflects this.

I do help we can welcome you back soon

Best regards

N Yorkshire
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Where to start!

The room was reasonable but the television was poor - the colour was faulty - everything was red. Someone did come to look at it and fiddled about with the SCART lead, but it fell out of the set in the end.

There seems to be a growing tendency to presume that everyone likes a certain type of food - here they are convinced that we all want to eat Chinese - so the restaurant is a Chinese, in effect. I like a varied menu in my restaurant.

You can eat in the bar instead - which I did - and ended up with a steak pie (they call it a Moo Pie which I suppose is meant to raise a smile!), a tiny scoop of peas and a handful of chips. It was ridiculously overpriced and you needed a sledgehammer to conquer the pastry.

Breakfast was in the "Chinese" and was very good - usual buffet style.

Definitely needs a refurbish urgently.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 67Sweetpea
Dear 67Sweetpea

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that our restaurant didn't fit with your requirements, we do work hard to try and offer something a little unique in Bugis Street Brasserie and ave a brigade of Singaporean and Chinese chefs cooking authentic dishes. I am sure you will understand that it can be difficult to cater for everyones tastes.

We do offer a more British menu in our bar and the Moo Pie you referred to is made by Pie Minister who provide excellent quality pies and have a number of awards for their products over the past couple of years.

South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I last stayed in this hotel about 25 years ago when it was almost new. It was a fairly nice place then but sad to see how it has gone downhill despite the surrounding area now being much more upmarket than it ever was. This trip was a short business stay. I was on the 'club room' floor, which I assume means the rooms were better quality than the average. On the plus side, all the staff I met were always very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was OK and the restaurant service good. However, the interior decor of the rooms was very tired, with paper scuffed and peeling off the walls in several places in the bedroom and bathroom, and although the room was otherwise very clean, there was a long, grubby-looking crack right across the bathroom sink. Colleagues had similar problems in their rooms on the same floor. Worst of all, there seemed to be no soundproofing between the bedrooms, I could hear the person next door coughing and using the loo. At least my room did not suffer from traffic or lift noise, as the reception staff had found me one in a quiet situation - not all my colleagues were so fortunate, the hotel location is very central to the main shopping, eating and and conference areas of the city (which is a plus) but is built in the middle of Paradise Circus, one of Birmingham's busiest road junctions, so you are surrounded on all sides by dual carriageways.

Overall, not the worst hotel experience I have had in recent years (that would be the Birmingham Metropole at the NEC) but not great and there are definitely better places to stay in this area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Last minute booking to attend dinner event the night before I was due to speak at Conference in Birmingham. As my wife joined me I asked to be upgraded to one of their suites ( which they do not sell online) - reasonable and sensible prices to upgrade.
Served its purpose - good staff , decent service from the restaurant team who also do room service. Breakfast was good.
Everything looks a bit old and certainly could do with a full/ total refurbishment as it has significant potential. Will I stay again - yes I would if I had a meeting within it or nearby, otherwise, I would prefer to stay at the Marriott or Radisson, not too far from Copthorne.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear RavBug

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay and I am pleased to read that you found the hotel good value for money and that service was up to our normal high standards.

Next time you are in Birmingham we would love to welcome you back and we look forward to the opportunity.