“Great staff and location....Poor hotel”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Great staff and location....Poor hotel”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Had read poor reviews on tripadvisor but still opted to stay here due to its location, hoping for the best. The positives:- price - £66 b&b, location, professional staff providing a good service, overnight parking - £5.50, room service. The negatives:- tired and dated room/bathroom, thread bare carpet, TV not working, some stained furniture, house keeping over zealous servicing my room for the next guest before I had checked out! Whilst not the hotels fault what shocked me most was a guest eating my left over room service meal from the tray I'd left out in the corridor!!! Won't be rushing to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jayne B
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Jayne B

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your kind words regarding the team here at the hotel and our location. We are now waiting on delivery of new carpets for some of our rooms which I hope will help to address your comments with regards to the bedroom.

My apologies if our Housekeeping team were a little over zealous and for the behaviour of the other guest you spotted in the corridor.

With kind regards

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed 2 (Sat & Sun) nights as a summer weekend away. Location is very central - literally 5 mins walk from the ICC and Broad street, and 5 mins the other way to New St. station and the Bull Ring. We got a really good "room only" rate - which gave us a large (but slightly tired) room, and a bathroom with a real bath. They provided a portable aircon unit which worked quite effectively. The WiFi did not connect at first, but a quick discussion with the receptionist, followed by a call to their help desk fixed the problem. The fitness room is available all the time, and is more than adequate. We tried breakfast on one morning - and it was pretty good. Despite the central location, there were no problems with noise or rowdy behaviour. Parking under the hotel was charged at £12 which does not seem too bad. Overall - a good value stay if you want to be in the centre of things.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TWinster13

Thank you so much for such an informative review following your recent stay and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed we are right in the heart of the city and central to the ICC, NIA, New Street and the Bull Ring.

It was good to hear you felt you received good value for money and I hope we can all welcome you back to the hotel soon.

ENGLAND
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The negatives: my room was shabby with the upholstery on one chair v stained so I used a towel as a barrier. The hot bath tap was completely seized. I called reception to ask for assistance but there wasn't anyone there to take the call. So taking a bath wasn't possible.
The signal on the TV was unstable and kept dropping.
No aircon, the window opened onto the side of a busy road and a pedestrian area between 2 buildings so noise and lack of privacy was an issue. There wasn't a net curtain or blind so no privacy if wanting to keep the curtains open for natural daylight.

The positives: good location excellent staff. Particular thanks to Bethany who visited my room to establish my specific requests. She was efficient , interested friendly and thoughtful as well as conducting herself professionally. Beth arranged for Michael the chef to speak to me and he organised exactly what was required . My evening meal from the oriental menu was 100% perfect, breakfast was lovely and lunch the next day was high quality.
I was so very impressed with these 2 members of staff they are great ambassadors for the Copthorne brand.
The room rate was extremely competitive and perhaps this was in recognition that the rooms needed a refurb ,the bedroom was clean with a very comfy bed.

I'd certainly return as I was so impressed with staff but would ask for a different room.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear ne28

Wow, what a fantastic review, thank you so much for your lovely comments. I have spoken to both Bethany and Michael personally and thanked them on your behalf for the service they provided.

I have noted your comments about the room and will ensure these are resolved and we all very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have just spent a couple of nights here at a conference in Birmingham. The staff were very good at their jobs and helpful and the location is really good, but the place is aged and very tired. I had a 2nd floor room and with no air conditioning, there was a small fan in the room. I am not complaining that the weather was good, but with the double glazing and window open, there was still very little ventilation. I was facing a main road, so no chance of leaving the window open. In fact, even with the both closed, it was still very noisy. The room was very dated with most things worn out. The only modern item was the TV.

The last thing to mention was the breakfast. I stay in lots of hotels and this was the worst by far. No taste in anything, water filled scrambled eggs, fatty bacon, toaster that didn't toast, the list goes on. Not value for money for the room at all.

Room Tip: Any room on a high floor will help with the noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Doug_421

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following you recent stay and for your lovely comments regarding the team.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding breakfast as we normally receive great feedback about the quality and presentation of our food. With this said, I have passed your comments on to Chef to ensure our normal high standards are maintained.

Whilst we do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning, we do provide fans in every room and take steps to ensure the rooms are as cool as possible during the day for the comfort of our guests. Additionally windows facing the main road have secondary double glazing units, over and above the standard double glazing units to minimise the road noise, my apologies if you feel this wasn't enough to soundproof the room.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future

David Lane

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Paid a ridiculously low price for this hotel! For a visit to the NIA! It was blinding! and I would recommend anyone to stay here going to NIA!! its not even a 5 min walk!
I also stayed here from a recommendation and would stay here again! lovely little wetherspoons around the corner too :). The beds are massive I could do 5 rolly pollies on the bed without falling off.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Jade C

Thank you so much for your lovely review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the big beds! I think 5 Rolly Pollies has to be a record!!

It was good to hear that you found us great value for money and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here to go to the good food show. The room was large and clean. The location was right near the heart of all the bars and restaurants. We just enjoyed the evening sun watching the world go by while we had dinner (GBK see other review). When we got back the room was roasting. The room is quiet unless you open the windows. Fortunately a fan was provided. Breakfast was hit and miss. Selection was great. Crispy items do not like being kept in chafing dishes. Hash brows ended up soggy. The pastries were stale and not great. However there was such choice we still had a decent breakfast. Would go back if we can get a similar room rate. It was worth it for the location alone.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Richard B

Thank you for posting a review following you recent stay and I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and the Good Food Show. I have passed your comments on to my team to ensure we get breakfast right every time but again, it was good to hear that you found the choice plentiful.

Keep an eye out for some great deals on our website and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

General Manager.
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed over night.its was good the room was neat and clean so was the bathroom which is very important to us.well what more can I say we only stayed the night and never used any other facility. It's recommendable and in the city center

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Amir K

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear you found the hotel comfortable and enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments on to our Housekeeping team who work very hard to ensure all of our rooms are kept spotlessly clean.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.