“Spacial Offer”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #98 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel through hotels.com amd had a really good deal. We stayed in a double room bed only for under £50 which I feel was excellent value for money giving the hotels location. It is a clean well equipped hotel in a great location for both the shops and nightlife. I would recommend this offer as it's cheaper than most of the budget hotels in the same area.

• Stayed: August 2014
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Kellib_uk

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the hotel such good value for money. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

David Lane

Write a ReviewReviews (1,974)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I've travelled a lot and stayed in 1 star places! The whole place is in real need of a revamp but that is forgivable. What is not forgivable is the sheer poor quality of the accommodation. The room we were in was on the fourth floor, overlooking a busy road. The outer window didn't close properly and had dropped on it's fixings so it couldn't fit the frame properly. That in itself meant constant loud noise, sirens etc even in the early hours of the morning. In a way it was a blessing as the room itself was so hot it was unbearable. Neither of us could sleep due to the heat which was approaching 30 degrees. Interestingly, outside it was only about 18! There was a fan that blew the hot air around and failed to be felt more than two feet away. There was no fridge, minibar, no ironing board, just very very basic facilities. This did not live up to the four stars it claims to have. The whole thing combined to produced two very unhappy people. When complaining at check out, the receptionist just stared at us. We tried to engage her but were met by more stares. No matter what my friend said, more stares. We finally got a verbal 'sorry' and that she would speak to the engineers.

Overall, I cannot recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid fourth floor!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Nik P

I am sorry you felt the need to post this review as I know we have spoken about this separately and thank you for that opportunity. My apologies once again for the issues we discussed.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Booked the hotel last minute and unfortunately made the mistake of not checking it out on review sites
As I normally would do .
That was my mistake .
As soon as I walked into reception I knew I had made an error .
The ceiling was stained and the whole entrance looked as though it hasn't been updated since the 1980,s .
It was a very warm day and the heat in there was stifling - I thought the air conditioning had broke but then realised the hotel didn't have any .
The room was no better - clean but very tired looking .
There is much better out there so my advice is look else where .

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice on two business trips 4 nights each trip dinner bed and breakfast. Location is great although Views from hotel rooms not so great overlooking the back of a pub and some sort of delivery yard? First stay I had a decent double room with fridge (although fridge not particularly cold) and plentiful tea, coffee facilities. The room was clean and spacious. The return trip I was allocated a tiny, old, run down room with little natural light and a single bed. As I was aware from previous stay that there are much better rooms available I requested at reception a switch. The first room I could have lived with for 1 night but not 4! The receptionist switched rooms for me and I was pleased with the new room. The food in bar and room service was lovely. One night I chose Chinese and this really disappointed me. Breakfast was plentiful and adequate maybe a little low quality. I would stay here again if visiting Bham if I was just looking for somewhere to sleep but not if I was looking for luxury.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear weekendweekend

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I was surprised to hear your comments about the food from Bugis Street as we normally get some great feedback from this restaurant on the quality and authenticity of the food. I will certainly be relaying your feedback to our Chef to see how we can improve.

We all look forward to welcoming you back again very soon

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Room was tired in need of decorating, no air con an inadequate fan was provided. No mini bar, no reply from room service. No iron in the room. Cheap low quality bedding . I'd never stay here again it was such a depressing experience

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear MrsMuck

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and my apologies if we did not live up to your expectations. Whilst we do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning we do make every effort to keep our bedrooms as cool as possible during the heat waves such as the one we have recently experienced.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding the beds as we often receive feedback saying how good they are and what a great nights sleep people have had.

Kind regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We found the room to be very reasonable and for the price we paid we couldn't be happier with it. We were told the room would have air conditioning however actually it was just a fan in the room.

The staff were very short with us when we asked if we could check in early, although I appreciate that it was a request they might not have been able to fulfil I felt the staff could have been friendlier about it.

The food was dreadful. We had our evening meal in the Chinese restaurant. Considering how long it took for the starter to come out in a restaurant with very few people in we were expecting something that had been taken care of but it was fatty and not very tasty at all. The main course was absolutely awful. It was a seafood dish which I can only describe as slime with very chewy squid. Very disappointing, we couldn't eat it. Breakfast was equally disappointing, the eggs benedict had un-toasted muffins, and rock solid eggs. I was served tea instead of the requested coffee and was not given a cup to drink it out of. The waiters cleaning the tables were just cleaning around things on the table (salt, pepper etc) rather than bothering to clean the table properly.

I would stay in the hotel again but I certainly wouldn't eat in it again. Not even the included breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fan, I heard from other guests not all rooms have then.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Vici B

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you were happy with your room. Check in at the hotel is from 3 pm and whilst we do make every effort to accommodate our guests if they arrive early, we do need a little time to prepare our rooms. I was disturbed to read your comments that you felt my team were a little short with you and this is something I will be picking up with them.

I have discussed your comments regarding the food with my Chefs, you will see from other reviews that we normally receive some great feedback regarding the quality and choice of our breakfast and the authenticity of our Chinese food in Bugis Street. Please accept my apologies if you felt this was not up to our normal standard.

I hope that when you do stay again you will afford us the opportunity to change your mind with regards to the food.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I got this hotel at £35 for a Friday night, which compared to the other options at the same price (ibis, britannia) makes this a good option.
Great location and good staff lift this hotel but it is in severe need of some money spending on it.
Fixtures and fittings are well past their best but if u want a comfortable stay at a good price you could do a lot worse.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear John H

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to hear you found your stay great value for money. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.