“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #99 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reading
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Copthorne Birmingham as a stopover whilst on business. I booked the room last minute and was unsure what to expect (especially after reading some reviews on here). However, as I was travelling alone (husband at home) and the purpose of my trip being business, I wasn't too concerned. Upon arrival to the hotel I feared the reviews I had read were true. Decor was dated and in need of an update, rooms were tired and some parts of the hotel looked 'shabby'. However, despite this I must say the hotel was extremely clean. I decided to eat at the hotels Chinese restaurant on my first night. Again, I was rather apprehensive as the restaurant seemed quiet. Food was OK, (slightly disappointing) but the waitress (I believe her name to be Vo) was extremely attentive and helpful from start to finish. On my second and final night I opted to eat in the bar area. I preferred this option as the atmosphere seemed slightly more lively. I was greeted by two friendly barmen (I believe they were called James and Benjamin) who looked after me for the duration of the night. I can be rather fussy at times, but nothing was too much trouble for either of them. Overall, the hotel is in need of a refurbishment, but it served it's purpose, was in a central location and I would recommend to others. Friendly staff and cleanliness go a long way.

• Stayed August 2014
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear LisaAndrews1965

Thank you so much for your lovely review and for your kind words regarding the team which I will share with them. It is great to have our service recognised as we take a lot of pride in making sure our guests are comfortable and enjoy their stay with us.

I will pass on your thanks to Vo, Ben and James and we all look forward to seeing you soon

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

There was a group of family and friends staying at the hotel for one night for a celebration. We were close to the shops, theatre's and Brindley Place, for food and lovely surroundings. The hotel was great, clean, reasonably priced and the service was good, with nothing being too much trouble. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Lesley P

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with your friends and family and thank you for such a lovely review. It was good to hear you found our location so convenient and that you found the hotel clean and the service good.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed here on a friday night with my husband after a work outing to the cricket. Location wise its easy to get to, city centre birmingham and there was a car park but we didnt need to use it. It was £38 for the night which is obviously very cheap so i wasnt expecting much (my husband booked it)
The reception was nice and the staff very friendly and check in as efficient. The room was quite dated and abit tired but overall was fine. When we stayed it was very hot so there was a small portable airconditioning unit in the room, which wasnt brilliant but better than nothing. Our room was overlooking the paradise circus walkway which has a bar on and there was live music blasting until the early hours which was not great for us. It was imoossible to sleep with the level of noise.
Generally ok budget hotel, if you stop there i would recommend asking for a room on the front of the hotel so you are further from the bar/noise. If you are planning ln getting back to your room after 3 am it would probably be fine because it is quiter then!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a dated 70s build hotel just by Paradise Circus in the heart of Birmingham. The whole area is scheduled to be demolished along with the rest of the former Central Library in a year or two, which is no doubt why the hotel feels rather run down. The location is certainly central, but the rooms feel like they haven't been updated in many years.

I thought the room I had was quite small and crucially, it had no aircon at all. As it was quite hot, I was very glad that they did at least provide an efficient fan which made the room bearable. I noticed that the carpet was threadbare and the wallpaper torn in places. On the plus side, there was a Corby trouser press in the wardrobe - how very thoughtful! :-)

Generally all the fixtures and fittings were very worn and dated - most other hotels would have consigned them to the skip by now. There is a certain retro appeal, but it was annoying that both the TV remote and the hairdryer only worked intermittently during my stay.

For the price of £70 paid this was not good value, but if you can find a room for say £40 or £50, go for it. The location makes it worthwhile.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear sfuhere

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear you found our location convenient and your stay good value for me. Indeed whilst the entire complex is earmaked for redevelopment over the few years we will continue to provide excellent service and invest where we can.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked a couple of weeks in advance & got a great value deal with Booking.com. Room & bathroom spotlessly clean. A very large comfortable bed. The location was perfect for the center of Birmingham. Wetherspoons (within Paradise Place like the hotel) is almost next door to the hotel which is cheaper for food and drink than the Copthorne which is great for breakfast, lunch, & dinner for those on a budget. There are other options within the center & a Spar convenience store all under cover. Parking a little pricey at £12-00 for 24 hours & limited on a first come first served basis, on the plus side we didn't move the car during our entire stay as it was so central. The only criticism is that We were there during two very hot sticky August nights, there was no air conditioning. There was a tower fan in the room which we used all the time. We had the window open & there was some noise from the Jazz club below till about 2 am so ask for a high floor if it is in the peak summer if this would bother you (our room was on the 3rd) otherwise this would not have been a problem with a closed window.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor due to traffic & street noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear PeterBernie

Thank you so much for posting such an informative review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed it has been quite warm outside during the recent heatwave however, whilst we do not enjoy the benefits of air conditioning, we do make every effort to keep the building as cool as possible. during the day.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

the hotel was was quiet enough and got a good nights sleep. the hotel/room did feel a little dated though. if im honest though i did feel a bit ripped off by the additional £12 parking per 24 hours and breakfast was £14 per person. will probably stay somewhere else next time

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sam J

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry if you felt our breakfast and car parking was a little expensive. We do regularly review our prices to ensure we are competitive within the city to ensure we are providing value for money.

tamworth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel is in a great location close to Broad Street,New street And the Bullring Shopping Centre.
All staff were very pleasant and helpful but the place is very dated and in need of a face lift there isn't any air conditioning either but still very good value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JoeTamworth

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your kind words regarding the team here at the hotel. Indeed our location is excellent and we are conveniently located for most attractions within the city.

It was great to hear that you felt we provided good value for money and I hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Kind regards