“Tired and in need of some TLC”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #99 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Sheringham
“Tired and in need of some TLC”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Arrived early evening. Only 1 person on reception - very good but a queue formed behind me. Went to my room - door handle old not operate. Returned to reception and the back of the queue! Was upgraded to a clubman room. Rooms are clean but dated. Tea/coffee available and good quality bath accessories. Problems with the internet. Staff member Joe was great and spent time trying to sort it out which he did eventually. Had dinner in the room. Room service was good but food was pricey for what you got. Staff are really good. Breakfast was good with plenty of variety and there is good quantity. Car parking is ok. There is a bar and an on site restaurant. Watch the cost - it is expensive. I have been told a brand new Copthorne Hotel is being built and that this one is to be demolished. That might account for the dated decor. I would still come back though.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear colinrbush

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad Joe managed to fix your internet probelms and get you connected, I will pass your thanks on to him.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the food, we regularly check our prices with other hotels in the city to ensure we are competitive and provide good value for money and I am sorry if you felt this was not the case.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future

David Lane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked 3 rooms through Expedia secret hotels for Birmingham and ended up at the Copthorne. On arrival we couldn't yet check in so used the bar. Drinks were pricy but there was a good selection available. Parking at the hotel was easy just underground from the hotel and payable locally. On being assigned our rooms they were close together which helped and all clean. They had all the basic amenities and for a one night stay this was fine. The location was very central making it easy to get about.

The hotel was fine, pretty average, nothing wrong with it but at the same time no luxary.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on a saturday night after going out for dinner and drinks. Upgraded to the suite, don't think it was worth it.
Hotel was clean and tidy but not worth the extra money. Bath needed repainting as this was flaking from the bottom. Decor is very dated, if you are into modern hotels I would not recommend here. The location is good and buffet breakfast was nice. Other than that just a standard hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Ok ...so the room was cheap and the location is fine....that's it. The rest is terrible unless you are lusting after the 1970s. No air conditioning ...and wifi in the rooms not working...added to tired at best , and dirty at worst. Rooms. Not good for a business trip. Never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
DLane, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Andrew G

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am sorry to hear we did not live up to your expectations. Whilst we do not enjoy the benfits of air conditioning and do not advertise having this facility, we do make every effort to keep the hotel cool during hot periods.

I am sorry if you found our wifi troublesome, it is available across the hotel and I have had the system checked to ensure it is fully operational. I was suprised to read your comments regarding the clenliness of our rooms as my Housekeeping team work hard to ensure our rooms are spotless and maintain the normally good comments they recieve on forums such as this.

With kind regards

David Lane

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This has something of the chain about it - buffet breakfast keeping a full English a little tepid, but better than many, spacious room but based on what seems the expected for chain hotels, professional staff, clean, good room service, meeting rooms standard and a little airless, subject to the noises often found in the neighbourhood of Broad Street, comfortable bed and spacious bathroom. Overall, this was a slightly better than average example of the business hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear MichaelBM

Many thanks for your review and I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. I will be passing your kind words on to the team and I hop we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Swanage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I needed an hotel in the city centre and this was the closest to where I was working on Monday so I arrived late on Sunday 10th August to a very pleasant and efficient greeting by the reception staff

The hotel is easy to find just off the A38, has secure parking (which I was able to use for all day Monday too - real bonus)

I didn't eat in the evening but the Singapore restaurant looked superb. The breakfast though was excellent and unusually was a 6.30 start. The staff in the restaurant were fantastic as was the food

The hotel is in the city centre so you expect some traffic noise.However the double glazing was good enough to block out the traffic immediately below my bedroom on the fourth floor

The cost of B&B was £66 and this was a real bargain. Many hotels now charge business at £100 (Holiday Inn for example). This hotel was cleaner, friendlier, better food and all round it was easier than most hotels I have stayed at.

Only minor grumble was I had to ask for an iron twice, but at the second go, it arrived wtihin minutes

All in all if you need a city centre hotel when on business dont go anywhere else

Dear Pete D

Thank you for such an informative review and it is good to hear you enjoyed your stay. We do like to provide value for money and deliver the best service we can and as part of this genuinely welcome our guests to the hotel.

My apologies for the dealy on the iron, we are currently waiting delivery of new irons and boards for every room which will prevent the need for you to ask in the first place. I hope next time you stay, you have time to try Bugis Street Brasserie which serves authentic Chinese, Singaporean and Malaysian food.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reading
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Copthorne Birmingham as a stopover whilst on business. I booked the room last minute and was unsure what to expect (especially after reading some reviews on here). However, as I was travelling alone (husband at home) and the purpose of my trip being business, I wasn't too concerned. Upon arrival to the hotel I feared the reviews I had read were true. Decor was dated and in need of an update, rooms were tired and some parts of the hotel looked 'shabby'. However, despite this I must say the hotel was extremely clean. I decided to eat at the hotels Chinese restaurant on my first night. Again, I was rather apprehensive as the restaurant seemed quiet. Food was OK, (slightly disappointing) but the waitress (I believe her name to be Vo) was extremely attentive and helpful from start to finish. On my second and final night I opted to eat in the bar area. I preferred this option as the atmosphere seemed slightly more lively. I was greeted by two friendly barmen (I believe they were called James and Benjamin) who looked after me for the duration of the night. I can be rather fussy at times, but nothing was too much trouble for either of them. Overall, the hotel is in need of a refurbishment, but it served it's purpose, was in a central location and I would recommend to others. Friendly staff and cleanliness go a long way.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear LisaAndrews1965

Thank you so much for your lovely review and for your kind words regarding the team which I will share with them. It is great to have our service recognised as we take a lot of pride in making sure our guests are comfortable and enjoy their stay with us.

I will pass on your thanks to Vo, Ben and James and we all look forward to seeing you soon