“A good hotel, but they need to get their Customer Service right.”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I had a pleasant stay in Birmingham over the weekend of 26th - 28th March and chose the Copthorne Birmingham for its excellent location and good value.

The hotel provides good clean accommodation with good size rooms and parking facilities which is a bonus with a city centre hotel and cheaper than the local NCP.

The hotel is centrally located making walking trips to Symphony Hall, Broad Street, the City Centre and Digbeth just a mere stroll.

My only grievance was that the TV in my room (414) did not work. I reported this to the consierge who took a look and told me that the modem had failed. He was not able to provide a replacement which meant I was without the TV for the weekend which meant I missed out on the local news, football results and grand prix information.

On checking out, the hotel were not prepared to offer a price reduction or compensation for the loss of TV which I think is a little unfair.

So, a good hotel in a prime location but their customer service lets them down.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed 13 March 2010

I've stopped here a few times, usually with a gap of about a year in between, preferring to stop elsewhere for similar price but much higher standards at other hotels. Each time I come to book it I forget why i didn't like it before, then why I check in I remember, but I won't be coming back here agin until it's been updated & improved.

I was unable to get a reasonable price for other hotels so decided to stop here once again. I'd forgotten what this hotel was like so looked at the photo's online on their website. In my opinion the room photo's don't reflect the rooms accurately any more.

Our room was very dated, old & tired decor, but this time for me the last straw was that the sheets didn't even fit the bed, they stopped 6 inches short so the last 6 inches of bed was just mattress with no sheet. I don't understand how a supposedly 4 star hotel can allow this to happen?

The bathroom was also very tired & dated and in need of renovation. It may have been a nice place at it's peak but despite reception looking ok in my opinion the rooms let it down.

In addition we booked a special weekend deal which (according to the booking) allowed us to have breakfast served in our room up until 12:00pm, but when trying to select breakfast for about 11:00am we were told that the latest was 10:30am. And we were also told that we had to pay an extra tray charge even though the rate clearly allows you to have breakfast in your room included in the price!

Hotel is also in the centre of a busy traffic island which meant lots of road noise, day & night, despite having double glazing & secondary glazing too! And although we had radiators there was no air con, so if you got too warm you had to open the windows which meant it was unbearably noisy.

If you're after a cheap hotel in terms of money & room standards then this would be ok, but how it gets & holds a 4 star rating I have no idea. Photo of bed sheets to follow shortly.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I believe that I am currently in contact with you and hope to not only resolve the issues you had but to welcome you here in the very near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 9 March 2010

Firstly, the hotel was booked by my employer and therefore I have no idea of what they paid. I have therefore made no judgement of value. Secondly, this hotel had a huge advantage - it was not the Britannia Hotel!

However arrival was complicated by the fact that I couldn't find it. I was on foot, having traveled by train, and the directions appeared to be poor. A tip is to make sure that you know what the hotel looks like - I spent a lot of time looking at it without knowing what the building was! Doh!

My first impressions were not helped by the receptionist being a little brusque, and the lunch (which I assume was supplied by the hotel) looking very uninspiring. Sandwiches and various unidentified samosas and bhajis. Not really what I was looking for.

Things picked up later - an efficient check in and a room that was easy to find helped. However the room itself was dark - there seems to be a thing with cheaper hotels to rely entirely on wall lighting or table lamps. Sometimes one wants a bit of real light! Other than that the hospitality tray was missing both tea and coffee, thus being somewhat unhospitable, and bathroom was a little dated. Perfectly acceptable however.

Dinner was provided as a package, and other than a vegetarian option, there was no choice. However it was surprisingly nice. I was impressed. Certainly not the best dinner I'd ever eaten, but for about fifty of us on a budget it was spot on. The bar service was efficient and friendly and they served a good pint of Guinness. I enjoyed the evening.

Internet was free in the ground floor rooms. I was on the third floor and managed to get a wireless signal from two floors below, although it was patchy. Whilst not ideal, it was at least free. The television came with pay for internet. I ignored that.

The biggest surprise was the bed, which was great. I was very comfortable. The only problem was the noise outside at 06:00 with bins being rattled....

Breakfast was warm and plentiful. No complaints there.

Service improved after the initial brusqueness, and I can't find anything that I would seriously complain about. The hotel is a budget hotel that manages a perfectly acceptable conference package and I'd be perfectly happy to stay again privately (depending on the rate) if we ever needed to overnight in Birmingham. It is not the sort of hotel that one would go to for a weekend away. But it serves a need, and does so efficiently.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your overall analysis of your stay. I am pleased to read that in the main it is positive.

Rest assured that I will follow up the areas that fell short of your expectations. For your information we hope to have had wifi installed in all guest rooms by the middle of spring.

I hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Best Regards,

Heather Hoskins

Reviewed 8 March 2010

We stayed at the Copthorne for 1 night as we were going to Godskitchen.
There were about 10 of us I think in total. My friend and I got a room with 2 single beds and then when a third friend wanted to stay I just rang the hotel and a nice lady said we could have a fold out bed for an extra £10. When we arrived it was just like a proper bed so the cost of the room between 3 of us was hardly anything!! About £17 each I think.

When we arrived we got the last space in the car park, it says its £10 and if you cant park there I think theres another like NCP about a minute away but I am not sure.
The guy behind reception was definatley having a bad day...... he was pretty abrupt and just kind of took my card to pay for the room and then chucked a card at us.

The is a spar in the shopping centre out the back of the hotel where you can get some drinks and theres a McDonalds and a Greggs in there aswell so everything you need is on your doorstep.
We didnt eat in the hotel but you can get room service I think and there was a restaurant.

The rooms are clean and the beds are confortable. Little fridge in the room aswell but there didnt seem to be many plugs.... there was 3 girls getting ready though and we wanted the Ipod on, hairdryers, hairstraightners, phones charging etc all at once!!
We had a great night and came back and all of our other friends decided to bring randomers in the hotel after we had been out. The hotel staff have no problems with this at all. I think a few people even shared one bed and slept on the floor in their room and this didnt seem to be a problem. No one really checked it either so you can bring mates back..... dont quote me on that though as maybe we were just lucky.

We wanted to stay in the room a bit longer till 2.30 because we were a bit rough. When I called to ask if we could the woman just said it was an extra £10. When we got to the front desk we mentioned the car park and the lady just said it didnt matter and we left without paying for it which was good!!
Im definatley going to stay here again partly because of the laid back vibe.
:-) Have a great time if you go.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Excellent location, good room and breakfast and very helpful staff. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2010

The room had a connector door to the next guest room that did not lock so had to be wedged shut with a chair, and the main door to the room didn't have a working secure lock. Breakfast to the room was late and when it arrived half of it was missing. The room was situated near to the lift which emitted a high pitched noise throughout the night. Will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

I have inspected all of our Interconnecting doors within the property. I unfortunately have been unable to locate any maintenance issues.

I would therefore be most grateful if you could contact me at the hotel to identify the specific room that you experienced this issue in. At that time I may be able to address the other concerns you had with your stay.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 26 February 2010

A large group of us stayed here for my aunties birthday and we were very disappointed. The rooms were dusty and the bin in my room hadnt been emptied. We had 5 rooms and in each room there were issues. In my room we only had one chair between 2 of us to get ready, the lighting was awful and some of the plugs didnt work.

The key card to my room didnt work and I had to keep going back to reception for a replacement - they never once offered to bring one up.

Breakfast was awful, we had requested a table all together and when we got there we had to wait as they hadnt got a table. There was no food left (at all!) we all had to wait (about 20 mins for hot food and no more cold food came out), they served me raw scrambled egg, i sent it back and they clearly popped it under the grill and gave it back to me (toast crumbs and all), the sausages were raw and when we complained we were told that they were cooked to the correct temperature and were 'told off' by the manager for making a scene! The service was shocking in the restaurant, the staff were rude and couldnt care less about service. However the bar staff were friendly. The reception staff were no better than the restaurant and check in was a slow and painful process! They didnt take complaints seriously and embarrassed by aunt in front of other guests for trying to make a complaint.

We have used this hotel before due to its handy location but we have all said that we will not be going back and would never recommend this to anyone else.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2010

Dear Guests,

Firstly I would like to apologise that you had such an unsatisfactory stay at our hotel.

Your comments concern me greatly and I would like to look into them in greater detail.

I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel to enable me to get further information regarding your stay.

At your convenience please call me direct on:
0121 200 2727.