“Average - friendly staff though!”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I stayed here for a small convention and was a bit worried given some of the reviews as to what my room might be like but it turned out I needn't have worried. The room was clean, quite fresh (in both odour and decor) and quiet. The bed was also very comfy and I had a great night's sleep. Reception staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful all weekend and I was even able to check-in to my room much earlier than anticipated. Much appreciated!

However, the food was an extreme disappointment, both the breakfast and the food in the bar the night before. I ordered the Copthorne Burger with Chunky Chips but the few chips I received were practically uncooked! The burger itself was awful, full of practically raw shallots or weird type of onions (that wasn't mentioned on the menu) and I struggled to eat it as it was really quite horrid! I had a function to attend that evening so was unable to go out elsewhere to find something else to eat and staff were very busy so I didn't complain (especially as I was with a group of friends and didn't want the evening to get off to a bad start). Breakfast the next morning didn't prove to be any better. There was no one around to sign me in at first so I joined friends at another table. I can usually breakfast in 15 minutes or so but gave myself 30 minutes so I could relax and chat. That was a mistake. I eventually got someone to check my name off (poor thing was rushed off her feet) and went to get something to eat. Couldn't see any cereal etc. The cooked breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs (I hate), beans (I hate), tomatoes (as before), the sausage bowl (I love sausages) was empty and none of us could find anyone to tell them so and bacon (which I like). For toast etc. all that was on offer was strawberry jam and marmalade - a very poor selection. All I ended up having was some fruit juice, two slices of bacon and some bread and jam. Not good value for money in the slightest! Just as I was leaving 25 minutes later, the sausages arrived! I've stayed in many, many hotels both here and abroad, some very good some not quite so good and this was the worst breakfast I have ever had. A big disappointment and, despite the hotel's very convenient location, it will most probably not be my port of call again when/if I next stay in Birmingham. Such a shame, given how lovely the staff were! Needless to say I spent Sunday rather hungry until I was able to go home again. Nice hotel, great staff but the food has let it down terribly.

• Stayed: October 2010
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2010

Dear La Noisette,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very glad to read that you had a comfortable and pleasant bedroom and that our reception staff were incredibly friendly. We have made significant investment in both our product and staff training throughout this year and will continue to do so.

I am very disappointed to read your comments about our breakfast and bar. We did change the specification for breakfast midway though last year which made the selection reduced - but this reflected in the huge price drop that we made.

However that does not excuse missing items, and certainly is not indicative of our normal breakfast standard. We are currently trialling a new company wide breakfast offering ,which includes lots of choice. And in approximately 4 weeks will also have a new bar menu.

Thank you for your comments I will feed all of them forward to my teams for investigation and action.

If I can be of any further or future help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Heather Hoskins,
Operations Manager

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 18 October 2010

Stayed at the hotel last night for a getaway with the wife.. paid just under £50 for the room (not including breakfast) on lastminute.com which did represent good value. Hotel itself is easy enough to find, parking however wasn't and on a busier night than a Sunday there would be nowhere near enough (about 20 spaces maybe under the hotel), which could be worth bearing in mind as they do advertise parking on site. Location though is a big plus. 5 minutes walk to New Street station (for access to the NEC for a concert which was the main purpose of our visit), 10 minutes or so to the Bull Ring, also very close to Broad St and Mailbox. Small mall behind hotel with Greggs/McDonalds/Nandos/Wetherspoons so great for a cheap bite to eat and meant we didn't eat dinner or breakfast in the hotel. Service on arrival was ok and fairly quick, as it was on checking out. Public areas are well looked after and staff are efficient and friendly. Our room on the 5th floor... very clean and a good size but this place badly needs a makeover. 80's style furnishing and an old style TV. Shower wasn't brilliant and the bed was really soft. We didn't get a good night's sleep at all despite being very tired, kept rolling toward the centre of the bed and even with the window shut, and with a room not overlooking the road traffic noise is clearly audible. In summary it was fine for us as we got a very good rate and were just looking for somewhere to put our heads down, if you want a genuine 4* you will need to go somewhere else, the hotel really needs a lot of money spending on refurbishing the rooms in particular to bring it up to the standard it claims to be, as it is it is an average 3* and no more than that.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Having read some of the previous reviews, wasn't sure what to expect. Three of us were there for a political conference, and couldn't have had a better location. Our welcome was excellent, and had rooms on the second floor, which were very comfortable and had all the amenities one would expect. Housekeeping was probably the one of the best I have experienced, rooms were certainly not tired, as described by someone else. The buffet breakfast was lovely, and they could cope well, even though the hotel was absolutely full. We ate in one evening, and needed to be very quick to keep to our timetable. We were served in double quick time, with piping hot delicious Singapore chinese food. The double glazing was very efficient at keeping out the loud traffic noise, in fact, I really couldn't find anything to grumble about. The price of the breakfast was terrific value at £7.95.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2010

well on first iimpressions this hotel is old and tired looking, finding it is the hardest thing as Birmingham has the worst road layout and the hotel is in the middle of 2 roundabouts... it is really impossible to access and then when you finally do there is practically no hotel spaces for parking - arrive by train guys! The car park is limited and expensive plus the spaces are 1970s size so anything bigger than a MINI wont fit properly. Once in the hotel entrance its typical 1980s brass and wood. The reception check in is friendly if a little sharp. We had booked in and it was quick we went up in the lift and entered what can only be described by my other guest as " Joseph and his technicolour dreamcoat" 's bedroom! the room had stained carpets and peeling wallpapers as well as no air con and shabby beds. the facilites are non existent in rooms including a missing trouser press from the cupboard! the no air con relies on open windows but being on a roundabout at 1am on friday night is unbearable. breakfast was a chore as was held in the onsite chines bistro... we were seated at a sofa for breakfast and was not happy with the cleanliness of the dishes so when i complained to the duty manager he was excellent! he apologised and refunded the breakfasts and launched a full investigation in front of me... very professional and a credit to the hotel and company and he saved the hotel from being written off completely...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I don't understand how this hotel has been described as 'the worst hotel I have ever stayed in'? All I can think is that these people haven't travelled much, because I can assure you I have stayed in far far worse. The Location is the main plus for the hotel, It's located right at the top of broad street and about 5 minutes from new street station and all the shops. It's always been very clean every time I have stayed here and the staff have always been helpful and polite. The rooms don't seem outdated to me at all, yes they may not have been refurbished in a while but what would be the point if they don't need it? It's not a 5-star hotel so if you are expecting everything to glitter with gold don't go, but it is more than excellent if you have normal standards. Yes it's noisy outside but your in the centre of Birmingham so if you want quiet stay on the outside of Birmingham but be prepared to travel.

Whenever I have stayed in Birmingham I have always stayed at The Copthorne and always will do. Me and my girlfriend have recommended this hotel to many people and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
MerryHillManager, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us here at the Copthorne hotel in Birmingham.

I am delighted that you had another enjoyable stay with us here at the hotel and thank you for highlighting the helpful team of employees that we have.

We are continuing a refreshment programme of the room decor across the hotel which I do hope you will be able to see on your next visit to the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 28 September 2010

I'd stayed at this Copthorne about 10 years ago, so I knew the location was good - right at the end of Broad St for pubs / clubs / etc and at the end of the shopping street that runs down to the Bull ring shopping centre.

The check-in desk was helpful, knowledgable and made us welcome - the hotel has the right 1st impressions. The room was very tired and hadn't been updated in the 10 years since my last visit. Noticable issues were the shower head (just a spurt) and cracked tiles to the bathroom that had been glued back together with grout. The room was clean but it's struggling to feel 4 star these days and so you do feel a little let down.

The bar area was OK but all 3 TVs were showing sport and on a Saturday evening this limited your choices. Breakfast (English buffet) was good but there's a Wetherspoons right next door so if you want to save a few quid go there (opens at 7am).

Parking is under the hotel which is convenient but at £12 on top of the room it's not cheap.

In conclusion, expect 3 star standards, pay a good price and enjoy the location. If you've stayed in other Copthornes recently be prepared to be disappointed with the rooms in Birmingham.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us here in Birmingham.

As mentioned in other reviews that I have responded to, we are undergoing improvement works to our décor within the guest bedrooms and this includes replacing each shower head,
I am only sorry that you did not experience this on your stay with us.

I am delighted that you found my team to be knowledgeable and helpful as this is something that I am personally striving to maintain and improve upon at all times.

The star rating awarded to the hotel focuses mainly on amenities, cleanliness and customer service as this is something that we can directly improve on a day to day basis and is the key ingredient to a comfortable stay at a hotel.

We have recently upgraded our parking facilities to include controlled lighting, entrance and exit and following extensive research, I believe the price to be competitive for a city centre. I am however looking at ways to add extra value to our customers by offering discounted parking for hotel residents.

I do hope that you will continue to use the hotel and see at first hand the improvements we are striving to make.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 September 2010

I looked at the Tripadvisor reviews of the Birmingham Copthorne thought long and hard before booking. The price, location and gym finally swayed me but I came prepared for the worst as some people seem to have had a mare here.

Check in was friendly and efficient. It's true that the rooms are a bit tired but they are a decent size with large tubs. The bed was comfortable and all. I imagine that rooms on one side of the hotel must be quite noisy but the earplugs weren't needed in mine.

The gym is small but has two treadmills, three bikes and a stepper plus three weight machines.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Traveller,
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay in Birmingham.

I am delighted to read that overall, you had a comfortable stay with us & that you found the facilities available of benefit.

I do hope that you will continue to use the Copthorne hotel in Birmingham.

Best regards,