I stayed here for a small convention and was a bit worried given some of the reviews as to what my room might be like but it turned out I needn't have worried. The room was clean, quite fresh (in both odour and decor) and quiet. The bed was also very comfy and I had a great night's sleep. Reception staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful all weekend and I was even able to check-in to my room much earlier than anticipated. Much appreciated!
However, the food was an extreme disappointment, both the breakfast and the food in the bar the night before. I ordered the Copthorne Burger with Chunky Chips but the few chips I received were practically uncooked! The burger itself was awful, full of practically raw shallots or weird type of onions (that wasn't mentioned on the menu) and I struggled to eat it as it was really quite horrid! I had a function to attend that evening so was unable to go out elsewhere to find something else to eat and staff were very busy so I didn't complain (especially as I was with a group of friends and didn't want the evening to get off to a bad start). Breakfast the next morning didn't prove to be any better. There was no one around to sign me in at first so I joined friends at another table. I can usually breakfast in 15 minutes or so but gave myself 30 minutes so I could relax and chat. That was a mistake. I eventually got someone to check my name off (poor thing was rushed off her feet) and went to get something to eat. Couldn't see any cereal etc. The cooked breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs (I hate), beans (I hate), tomatoes (as before), the sausage bowl (I love sausages) was empty and none of us could find anyone to tell them so and bacon (which I like). For toast etc. all that was on offer was strawberry jam and marmalade - a very poor selection. All I ended up having was some fruit juice, two slices of bacon and some bread and jam. Not good value for money in the slightest! Just as I was leaving 25 minutes later, the sausages arrived! I've stayed in many, many hotels both here and abroad, some very good some not quite so good and this was the worst breakfast I have ever had. A big disappointment and, despite the hotel's very convenient location, it will most probably not be my port of call again when/if I next stay in Birmingham. Such a shame, given how lovely the staff were! Needless to say I spent Sunday rather hungry until I was able to go home again. Nice hotel, great staff but the food has let it down terribly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Glass-sheathed contemporary mid-rise hotel in the center of Birmingham, adjacent to International Convention Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Copthorne Hotel Birmingham reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copthorne Birmingham Hotel Birmingham
- Birmingham Copthorne Hotel