“Amazing hotel!”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 26 October 2010

I've never really felt too inclined to review any hotel previously but having had a great night's stay at the Copthorne in Brum, and having read so many negative/average reviews before my night there, I feel the need to express how great this hotel actually is. Maybe others have had an unfortunate bad experience or are just really pedantic, but having stayed in many 3 star and 4 star hotels over the years, this one is definitely 4 star through and through. Where are people commenting on the bad decor? Looked pretty smart to me! Not too clinical or anything unlike some other 4 star hotels which don't feel homely in any way. This one felt very homely for such a big place.

I was shooting a gig at the Symphony Hall so decided to book the Copthorne due to its close proximity (literally a 1 minute walk away). I paid around 63 quid for a single room including breakfast. Turned out to be a complete bargain. The room was incredibly spacious for a single (and with a double bed), well decorated, very clean etc. The reception staff were incredibly friendly upon my arrival and very welcoming. Same for the bar staff too and anyone else I encountered who worked there. Breakfast was top notch too - an impressive selection of cooked food, not too greasy either, plus fruit, cereal etc. Nice coffee too! Just wish I'd had time to check out the in-house Singaporean Chinese restaurant as well as the menu looked rather nice.

I really just don't get all the negative criticisms in the reviews on here. I'll most certainly be back at the Copthorne the next time I need a hotel in Brum. A fantastic place, and I'll be recommending to plenty of others too. Oh yeah, and there's a great jazz club just behind the hotel. A very chilled bar for a post-gig pint or two. Bonus!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Dear MarkH_Metal,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you had such a successful stay; I will ensure our staff receive your feed back. Hopefully you will be able to sample our great Singaporean cuisine during your next stay!

Yours Sincerely,
Heather Hoskins,
Operations Manager.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 24 October 2010

I had a really mixed stay. Took advantage of a discount to stay for birmingham half marathon. Therefore the location was great.
The thing I wanted most was a great night sleep but had one of the worst nights sleep in a hotel. For the whole night there was a weird whirring noise that seemed to be non stop. I was right at the end of the building so suspect I was near a generator of some description, it really did put a dampener on my stay.

I had room service and ordered a medium sirloin steak and thought it was cooked to perfection, chips were great as was the mushroom and tomato. Onion rings were slightly to crisp for my liking. I also had a raspberry creme brulee and this was also awesome. I could have eaten another.

The breakfast was ok but didn't really eat that much as was running soon after.

The staff that I came into contact with seemed very friendly and helpful from receptionist to room service and luckily my lack of good quality sleep did not effect my running at all.

I am not sure if I would call is hotel a four star, more a three star as there was no head on my shower and the decor was dated though passable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Dear Kev 238,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am glad to hear that in the main you had a good stay. Our food is all freshly prepared to order and I personally have a special affinity with our crème brulee!
I am however sorry to read that some sort of noise kept you from a restful nights sleep. We do have a full team on overnight who may have been able to assist you. I am glad to see it did not impinge on your marathon run.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Heather Hoskins
Operations Manager

Reviewed 23 October 2010

I stayed here recently for a conference with work and have stayed here before without too many problems. I knew therefore it was a tired hotel, clean, but decorated in what would have been the height of business chic - around 1982.

This time though, the stay was a bit of a disaster. There was a mistake with my booking so a room wasn't being held for me on the first night - though this was resolved quickly fair play.

That was about the only thing that was resolved room wise - even though we'd booked our rooms almost a year in advance, a few weeks before we were due to arrive, we were told the hotel was overbooked and that we would have to move to another Copthorne - in Dudley. Although this is only some 12 miles away, as I found out in rush hour traffic, it was about an 85 minute taxi ride - hardly what you'd call convenient when the hotel had been booked as it was a 5 minute walk from the conference we were attending! Had there been ANY other hotel option (most of Birmingham was full for the conference), we wouldn't have bothered to stay there at all, such was my disgust at being treated in such an off-hand manner. I can only imagine that the hotel had oversold the other rooms for far higher prices than we had paid by booking such a long time in advance!

The hotel was supposed to transport our luggage to the other hotel. However at 23.30 when I was due to be transported there myself, I made them double check my case had indeed reached the other hotel. Lucky I did, as there was no sign of it there. After much insistence from me, it was eventually located in a room still in Birmingham. A colleague wasn't so lucky - they reached the other Copthorne after midnight only to find no sign of their case and no one seemed to know where it was...

But back to the Copthorne in Birmingham! The staff is quite friendly generally (though they didn't seem to feel an ounce of compunction at the inconvenience they were causing my colleagues and myself by moving us). I suppose the sole redeeming feature is its central location and proximity to the main station and the ICC conference centre - both about a 5 minute walk away. The downside of this, is that the hotel is essentially located on a roundabout (near the ironically named Paradise Forum!) meaning you can't really open any of the windows otherwise the noise and smell are a bit of pain. From the outside, it looks like a 1970s leisure centre or watersport park and the breakfast bar is unfortunately from the same era. Overcooked scrambled eggs that looked like pebble-dash, concentrated juices, tasteless coffee... The staff at the restaurant were nice enough, but they couldn't really rescue the buffet breakfast I'm afraid.

I will never stay here again - shunting paying quests who have reserved so long in advance like this is no way to run a business. This isn't the sort of standard or service normally expected of a 4star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
HeatherHoskins, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your experience with Millennium and Copthorne hotels on to Trip Advisor.

Clearly we have failed to deliver the standards expected in many aspects of your stay but I would like to reassure you of our business integrity in regards to having to relocate you to our sister property.

This situation arose from an administrative error back in 2008 which was only discovered in July of this year and I can assure you that this was in no way related to any financial gain for the hotel, indeed the relocation costs far outweigh any revenues received for the event period.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments in greater detail and in this regard, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly.

Kind regards
Ben Thomas
General Manager- Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 20 October 2010

I stayed here for a small convention and was a bit worried given some of the reviews as to what my room might be like but it turned out I needn't have worried. The room was clean, quite fresh (in both odour and decor) and quiet. The bed was also very comfy and I had a great night's sleep. Reception staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful all weekend and I was even able to check-in to my room much earlier than anticipated. Much appreciated!

However, the food was an extreme disappointment, both the breakfast and the food in the bar the night before. I ordered the Copthorne Burger with Chunky Chips but the few chips I received were practically uncooked! The burger itself was awful, full of practically raw shallots or weird type of onions (that wasn't mentioned on the menu) and I struggled to eat it as it was really quite horrid! I had a function to attend that evening so was unable to go out elsewhere to find something else to eat and staff were very busy so I didn't complain (especially as I was with a group of friends and didn't want the evening to get off to a bad start). Breakfast the next morning didn't prove to be any better. There was no one around to sign me in at first so I joined friends at another table. I can usually breakfast in 15 minutes or so but gave myself 30 minutes so I could relax and chat. That was a mistake. I eventually got someone to check my name off (poor thing was rushed off her feet) and went to get something to eat. Couldn't see any cereal etc. The cooked breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs (I hate), beans (I hate), tomatoes (as before), the sausage bowl (I love sausages) was empty and none of us could find anyone to tell them so and bacon (which I like). For toast etc. all that was on offer was strawberry jam and marmalade - a very poor selection. All I ended up having was some fruit juice, two slices of bacon and some bread and jam. Not good value for money in the slightest! Just as I was leaving 25 minutes later, the sausages arrived! I've stayed in many, many hotels both here and abroad, some very good some not quite so good and this was the worst breakfast I have ever had. A big disappointment and, despite the hotel's very convenient location, it will most probably not be my port of call again when/if I next stay in Birmingham. Such a shame, given how lovely the staff were! Needless to say I spent Sunday rather hungry until I was able to go home again. Nice hotel, great staff but the food has let it down terribly.

• Stayed: October 2010
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2010

Dear La Noisette,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very glad to read that you had a comfortable and pleasant bedroom and that our reception staff were incredibly friendly. We have made significant investment in both our product and staff training throughout this year and will continue to do so.

I am very disappointed to read your comments about our breakfast and bar. We did change the specification for breakfast midway though last year which made the selection reduced - but this reflected in the huge price drop that we made.

However that does not excuse missing items, and certainly is not indicative of our normal breakfast standard. We are currently trialling a new company wide breakfast offering ,which includes lots of choice. And in approximately 4 weeks will also have a new bar menu.

Thank you for your comments I will feed all of them forward to my teams for investigation and action.

If I can be of any further or future help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Heather Hoskins,
Operations Manager

Reviewed 18 October 2010

Stayed at the hotel last night for a getaway with the wife.. paid just under £50 for the room (not including breakfast) on lastminute.com which did represent good value. Hotel itself is easy enough to find, parking however wasn't and on a busier night than a Sunday there would be nowhere near enough (about 20 spaces maybe under the hotel), which could be worth bearing in mind as they do advertise parking on site. Location though is a big plus. 5 minutes walk to New Street station (for access to the NEC for a concert which was the main purpose of our visit), 10 minutes or so to the Bull Ring, also very close to Broad St and Mailbox. Small mall behind hotel with Greggs/McDonalds/Nandos/Wetherspoons so great for a cheap bite to eat and meant we didn't eat dinner or breakfast in the hotel. Service on arrival was ok and fairly quick, as it was on checking out. Public areas are well looked after and staff are efficient and friendly. Our room on the 5th floor... very clean and a good size but this place badly needs a makeover. 80's style furnishing and an old style TV. Shower wasn't brilliant and the bed was really soft. We didn't get a good night's sleep at all despite being very tired, kept rolling toward the centre of the bed and even with the window shut, and with a room not overlooking the road traffic noise is clearly audible. In summary it was fine for us as we got a very good rate and were just looking for somewhere to put our heads down, if you want a genuine 4* you will need to go somewhere else, the hotel really needs a lot of money spending on refurbishing the rooms in particular to bring it up to the standard it claims to be, as it is it is an average 3* and no more than that.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Having read some of the previous reviews, wasn't sure what to expect. Three of us were there for a political conference, and couldn't have had a better location. Our welcome was excellent, and had rooms on the second floor, which were very comfortable and had all the amenities one would expect. Housekeeping was probably the one of the best I have experienced, rooms were certainly not tired, as described by someone else. The buffet breakfast was lovely, and they could cope well, even though the hotel was absolutely full. We ate in one evening, and needed to be very quick to keep to our timetable. We were served in double quick time, with piping hot delicious Singapore chinese food. The double glazing was very efficient at keeping out the loud traffic noise, in fact, I really couldn't find anything to grumble about. The price of the breakfast was terrific value at £7.95.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2010

well on first iimpressions this hotel is old and tired looking, finding it is the hardest thing as Birmingham has the worst road layout and the hotel is in the middle of 2 roundabouts... it is really impossible to access and then when you finally do there is practically no hotel spaces for parking - arrive by train guys! The car park is limited and expensive plus the spaces are 1970s size so anything bigger than a MINI wont fit properly. Once in the hotel entrance its typical 1980s brass and wood. The reception check in is friendly if a little sharp. We had booked in and it was quick we went up in the lift and entered what can only be described by my other guest as " Joseph and his technicolour dreamcoat" 's bedroom! the room had stained carpets and peeling wallpapers as well as no air con and shabby beds. the facilites are non existent in rooms including a missing trouser press from the cupboard! the no air con relies on open windows but being on a roundabout at 1am on friday night is unbearable. breakfast was a chore as was held in the onsite chines bistro... we were seated at a sofa for breakfast and was not happy with the cleanliness of the dishes so when i complained to the duty manager he was excellent! he apologised and refunded the breakfasts and launched a full investigation in front of me... very professional and a credit to the hotel and company and he saved the hotel from being written off completely...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends