“Stay somewhere else”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 December 2010

The hotel is dated, the pillows were hard and the noise from the street can be heard all night long. The Breakfast is ok but wouldn't want to pay for it myself.
I asked for a wake up call at 8am and they failed to do it. Poor service really. Several times I tried to ring reception and nobody answered.
They say it's a 4 star hotel - in reality it would be 3 at a push.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2011

Dear Globe Trotter,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about our hotel.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to your expectations.

Our normal service is normally very well received. If you are considering staying in Birmingham in the near future please give me a call at the hotel. I will be happy to oversee your booking personally to ensure you have a more favourable impression.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 26 November 2010

Dont take any notice of these reviews.
We stayed there 19th Nov to 21st nov and had a great time.Room was good,overlooking the IAC and Symphonic hall (337).Breakfast was excellent and so was the Chinese restaurant.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly.The location is great,right in the centre of things.The German markets had just started and were just outside the rear entrance of the hotel.
Give it a try I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Lucy Wrexham,

Thank you for taking the time to post you r review. I am delighted to read that you had a great week-end. Keep your eyes open for new exciting offers on our web site in the New Year!

Hope you had a good Christmas.

Regards,
Heather Hoskins

Reviewed 18 November 2010

I had to cut my stay short the paper thin walls are made even worse that the rooms have a interconnecting door which means you can hear your neighbouring rooms tv blaring out.

I had to change rooms once because I was placed right next to the lift, I was then put into a "suite" above a rear loading bay. I expressed my concern and asked if the forklift truck and lorries were noisy, I was told that "everyone who has stayed on this side of the room has had a good nights sleep"...

3:30 in the morning I'm woken by reversing beeps which continue on and off for an hour on a truck, then a steady stream of traffic kept me awake from there on.

The rooms decor is really not acceptable and is direly in need of updating, the food at their oriental restaurant is quite honestly topped by any takeaway I've ever been to.

I will say the breakfast was ok and the staff were very apologetic and friendly when I checked out early.

I got a total of 3 hours sleep between having to swap rooms and all the noise and the rooms were so cold, not what you need before having to give an important presentation.

I booked into the Macdonald which is perfectly nice, I was lucky to get a room at the last minute, but to be quite honest I'd of settled for New Street Station and a newspaper wrapped over me.

Very dissapointing.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2010

Dear Colenj2

Thank you for choosing to book our hotel.

I am very sorry to read that your experience of your bedroom/s was unsatisfactory. Please accept our apologies. I am glad to read that our breakfast and staff faired better.

We do indeed have rooms that have a quieter elevation, I am sorry we were unable to locate you one during your stay. Without any further information I would be unable to make comment about the two rooms that you occupied, however if you would like to e-mail them to me at the hotel: heather.hoskins@millenniumhotels.co.uk, I would certainly be able to review this on your individual information.

We are in the process of refreshing our bedroom stock and I would be happy to go into further detail with you, should you choose to.

Again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would hope that you would consider returning for me to endeavour to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 2 November 2010

Stayed in this hotel last week- in short it is fine for the price available online (laterooms etc); we paid £45 per night. It is not worth anymore than this. The location is great, but the rooms are VERY worn and dated. Also, there seemed to be a problem with the ventialtion system in the bathroom- it was very noisy all night long.
Only stay here if you are doing so on a cheap deal and paying less than £50 per night.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Dear Luke 131313,

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to read that you found our location to be great.

We are currently working hard on a refreshment programme for our rooms and bedroom corridors which we have started this year. We hope to have a high percentage of our bedroom stock redecorated by spring.

I am sorry to see there appeared to be an issue with the bathroom ventilation, please call me at the hotel if you would like to discuss any further.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we use all customer feed back when reviewing our planning. This is very valuable to us.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

I lived in Birmingham 10 years ago and everytime I passed the Copthorne I used to imagine what a great hotel it looked. I am also a regular traveller to Birmingham but tend to stay at the Holiday Inn Express so I thought it would be a treat to be put up at the Copthorne. The first impressions were positive the lobby was not sleek and modern but nor was it terribly dated and the staff were friendly and efficient.

However the room was awful, it looked as if it had not been updated since 1985. The wall paper boarder was peeling off, there was an non-flat screen tv and the room just felt unclean. There was no aircon which I could have done with as the room was hot and when I opened the window there was so much traffic noise. I ended up going out to a bar as I found the room to be too depressing to stay in.

Not that it was the hotel's fault just to add insult a bunch of rowdy drunken guests returned at 2:30am and caused an absolute din. I was going to complain but obviously someone else had done so already. One of the culprits was in the adjoining room and I heard the phone ringing a few times and he was given a reprimand but it no good as when he got off the phone he just carried on, even a visit from the hotel staff did not stop his loud behaviour.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Dear Bev Alan,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly and efficient, we have spent a lot of time this year (and will continue to) in training our personnel as we believe they are our most important asset.

I am sorry to read that the room provision was less than satisfactory for you. There are plans afoot to upgrade the televisions within the guest bedrooms. Also we have a redecorating schedule in place which will continue into the New Year and spring.

If you decide to stay in the city in the future and I will be happy to discuss or view the works we have already undertaken.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 26 October 2010

I've never really felt too inclined to review any hotel previously but having had a great night's stay at the Copthorne in Brum, and having read so many negative/average reviews before my night there, I feel the need to express how great this hotel actually is. Maybe others have had an unfortunate bad experience or are just really pedantic, but having stayed in many 3 star and 4 star hotels over the years, this one is definitely 4 star through and through. Where are people commenting on the bad decor? Looked pretty smart to me! Not too clinical or anything unlike some other 4 star hotels which don't feel homely in any way. This one felt very homely for such a big place.

I was shooting a gig at the Symphony Hall so decided to book the Copthorne due to its close proximity (literally a 1 minute walk away). I paid around 63 quid for a single room including breakfast. Turned out to be a complete bargain. The room was incredibly spacious for a single (and with a double bed), well decorated, very clean etc. The reception staff were incredibly friendly upon my arrival and very welcoming. Same for the bar staff too and anyone else I encountered who worked there. Breakfast was top notch too - an impressive selection of cooked food, not too greasy either, plus fruit, cereal etc. Nice coffee too! Just wish I'd had time to check out the in-house Singaporean Chinese restaurant as well as the menu looked rather nice.

I really just don't get all the negative criticisms in the reviews on here. I'll most certainly be back at the Copthorne the next time I need a hotel in Brum. A fantastic place, and I'll be recommending to plenty of others too. Oh yeah, and there's a great jazz club just behind the hotel. A very chilled bar for a post-gig pint or two. Bonus!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Dear MarkH_Metal,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you had such a successful stay; I will ensure our staff receive your feed back. Hopefully you will be able to sample our great Singaporean cuisine during your next stay!

Reviewed 24 October 2010

I had a really mixed stay. Took advantage of a discount to stay for birmingham half marathon. Therefore the location was great.
The thing I wanted most was a great night sleep but had one of the worst nights sleep in a hotel. For the whole night there was a weird whirring noise that seemed to be non stop. I was right at the end of the building so suspect I was near a generator of some description, it really did put a dampener on my stay.

I had room service and ordered a medium sirloin steak and thought it was cooked to perfection, chips were great as was the mushroom and tomato. Onion rings were slightly to crisp for my liking. I also had a raspberry creme brulee and this was also awesome. I could have eaten another.

The breakfast was ok but didn't really eat that much as was running soon after.

The staff that I came into contact with seemed very friendly and helpful from receptionist to room service and luckily my lack of good quality sleep did not effect my running at all.

I am not sure if I would call is hotel a four star, more a three star as there was no head on my shower and the decor was dated though passable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Dear Kev 238,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am glad to hear that in the main you had a good stay. Our food is all freshly prepared to order and I personally have a special affinity with our crème brulee!
I am however sorry to read that some sort of noise kept you from a restful nights sleep. We do have a full team on overnight who may have been able to assist you. I am glad to see it did not impinge on your marathon run.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Heather Hoskins