“Tired and shabby”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 February 2011

This hotel is past its sell by date.Old fixtures and fittings. There was no internet access in the bedroom - had to traipse down to the bar - considering this is two minutes from the ICC you would think they would cater for business guests. The plumbing is dodgy and the TV is a massive Soviet-era thing that takes ages to warm up. The bed was comfy. If this is four star then the ratings system is a mess.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear eddieCambridge,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review during your recent stay.

I am glad that you found your bed to be comfy.

Your other comments regarding the fixtures and fittings within your bedroom are noted and will be discussed when reviewing our products in the near future.

Again thank you for your review,

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 31 January 2011

Hotel rooms are in dia need of major refurbishment, not very clean either, dusty and mould in bathroom, bathrooms are very old and dated and need total refurbishment, definitely not the standard of a 4 star hotel! Very noisy rooms with noise from the main road, constant. Breakfast, very poor, not even fresh orange juice! just squash, until we requested fresh orange juice and then it had to be given to us from the bar! no choice of selecting your cooked breakfast from a counter, it had to be cooked to order and still then they couldnt get it right! asked for fried eggs and got given poached! full english it was NOT! no black pudding available. Restaurant was very cold and uninviting, unlike Merry Hill which is warm and friendly and an excellent breakfast. £12 for parking is a total rip off when the car park is not really a proper car park its just an uneven piece of concrete with a barrier!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2011

Dear HLPSurrey,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Again I would like to offer our apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us in Birmingham.

As the issues which you raised were discussed with me and our General Manager in person during your stay, I had hoped that we had resolved any ill feeling you had towards us at the time of your stay.

I am therefore sorry that despite the amendments made to your invoice and the personnel assurances given to you on your departure, you have still left with a less than favourable impression of the hotel.

Naturally your feedback is of value to us and will be used to move our products and services forward.

Reviewed 30 January 2011

I was so disappointed, right from the start. Upon arrival the car park was full, even though we had called ahead to check parking was available. You'll also have to shell out £12 should you manage to get a space in the tiny car park. Receptionist didn't seem bothered. Even though we had requested a high room when booking, we were put on the first floor in a very shabby room. It was freezing, couldn't get the ancient heater to work so had to get an electric heater brought up and the bed creaked. Decor-wise, room was very very dated and nothing matched, blue headboard, green (peeling) cupboards, patterned red carpet and some terrible multicoloured curtains and the tv was quite small considering the size of the room. It certainly didn't have a 4* feel to the place. There was only 1 easy chair in the room, so we couldn't even both sit down. Bar staff were friendly and helpful with directions, just as well as nobody answered the phone at reception either time that we called. But a soft drink at the bar cost £2.35!! No can machine anywhere, no mini-bar in the room. Breakfast OK, good selection. Good shower and bathroom was clean. They just shouldn't be letting out that quality of room.

Dear cjharris0n,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, I am happy to read that our bar staff were helpful and able to assist you with directions.
I do apologise that you experienced other issues during your stay. I have by separate copy requested that you call me at the hotel as I cannot locate your information with the information on your review.
Again, thank you for your time, all feedback on our hotel is vital to enable us to progress forward.

Operations Manager.

Reviewed 24 January 2011

My biggest problem with this hotel was the lack of any air in the room or the bathroom. I did try opening the window but the noise from traffic was horrendous and even with double glazing we could still hear it. Stayed on a Saturday night and the traffic noise continued all night.
Room was ok although the furniture was showing signs of wear, found everything to be very clean although there was a smell of cigarette smoke in the corridor.
We arrived very early and was delighted to be given a room straight away, by a very friendly and efficient receptionist. The buffet breakfast was also excellent and again the staff were friendly and efficient.
If this is a 4 star hotel then it really should have air con in the rooms especially in this location as the traffic noise is unbearable with open windows.
Unfortunately due to the lack of sleep will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2011

Dear timat22,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to read you found our staff and breakfast to be of a good standard. It is unfortunate that you were disturbed by the traffic within the city centre.

One of the hotels key attractions is our central location and it is unfortunate that this impaired your sleep. We do have rooms on another elevation that I would be happy to provide for you to ensure you have a restful stay with us.

Should you choose to return to the city in the near future I would be very pleased to accommodate you in one of those. Please give my office a call if you decide this may be an option for you.

Again, thank you for your opinions all of which are of value to us.

Reviewed 15 January 2011

Have stayed at this hotel many times with company business, sadly not out of choice, as it is dirty, dated and filled to the brim with surly, rude staff. On arrival we passed a used condom on the hotel car park stairs, on imforming the hotel manager he pushed passed to remove it without acknowledgement, let alone an apology! The following morning the fire alarm went off at 8am, understandably these things happen, with not a member of staff in sight we evacuated ourselves. Turns out it was a false alarm, however then between 8:30 and 10:00 the alarm continued to go off fifteen times, I work night shifts and this is prime time sleeping for me. Again the hotel manager said that it was uncomfortable for him too, before reluctantly apologising, and another member of staff said "well it was [---] for me too mate". Breakfast was ok, some staff really nice, just a little more care over there customer service would go a long way.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I arrived at the Copthorne on 21st December 2010 after a business meeting in the city, first impressions were very good as the reception & bar area looked very nice but the communal space was simply hiding the rooms failings. On arrival my room was very cold and extremely tired looking. The outlook I had seemed to be of offices and you felt that you needed the curtains closed just for privacy as since it was dusk and with the lights on everyone could look in. The room & bathroom was big & spacious & I suspect doubled up for other purposes as the bed was a pull down one. My first issue was my TV would not work I called reception and a maintenance man was up within 10 minutes at first I think he assumed it was me simply not following the instructions but as he found out the wiring into the TV had been the problem, I asked him at that point about my heating and after a few minutes he determined that it wasn't working and that I could have a temporary plug in heater which he duly fetched. He also noticed that my carpet which had nearly tripped me up on 2 occassions had a large tear at the join that ran across the middle of the room and was raised from where I suspect other guests had had the same problem. To add to my list of maintenance issues when I filled the kettle and boiled it I noticed water running down the side and all over the electrical wiring as there was a large crack running through it. To be fair to the maintenance man he returned with a plug in heater (however it was small & took awhile to heat what with snow laying on the ground outside), gaffa taped the carpet down (didn't look nice but stopped me breaking my neck) & gave me a replacement kettle. I also pointed out to him the doorstop was broken and on the floor. You have to question about the hotels ability to ensure a room is of a standard acceptable for the price being paid. He informed me that they would look at the issues the following day (not much good to me as I was checking out the next day), what I hadn't envisaged was that rather than maintenance waiting for me to check out of the room and go in between myself & the next guest I was disturbed @ 8.30am & again disturbed @ 9.30am by maintenance on both occassions I was in bed. The bed was adequate and cleanliness as good as tired decor would allow. When I challenged the heating with reception they were quite dismissive and just said leave the heater on through the night which meant that the room by the morning was at the other temperature extreme, all in all steer clear as there are better quality rooms for the same money or cheaper in the city.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My partner and I stayed here for New Years Eve as there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. We only stayed here for the one night but we were very impressed with the hotel. We were allowed to check in an hour early thanks to the staff on the reception desk, which we thought was very nice of them. The hotel room itself was clean and had tea and coffee making facilities and TV. There was a data port available for the internet in the room but we did not use this. The bathroom was clean and the shower was nicer than some other hotels that we have stayed in. Only quibble we had with the room was the fact that the radiator seemed to be broken and the heat could not be turned down, but this did not affect us a great deal.
Parking is secure at the hotel but does cost £12 for 24hrs, which is a fairly good rate but I think next time we will be getting the train to save some money!
We would definitely stay at this hotel again and are looking at staying here for next New Years Eve!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2011

Dear Jazzman851,

Happy New Year! I am glad to read that you had a good evening. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I will pass on your comments to our operations team who will be delighted that they have met your needs successfully.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again this year.

Best Regards