“Shabby and outdated”

Copthorne Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 February 2011

First stay here - normally stay at the Marriott, but I was booked here by some people I was working for. Hotel is clean, but the room was very outdated - felt like a Moscow Hotel in the 1980's and I've stayed in a few of those! The hot tap in the bathroom was really hard to turn off (room 409). I eventually managed it with the help of a towel wrapped round the tap head - downright dangerous if nothing else. It's hard to see why this is a 4 star hotel. Parking charges are also extortionate!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
MerryHillManager, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

Dear YorkSimon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel and I am sorry that we have not met your expectations on this occasion.

I will certainly ask my maintenance team to look at the tap within the bedroom which you have occupied to ensure that this is rectified immediately.

We have conducted pricing surveys of our car parking charges at the hotel and found our tariff to be very competitive amongst hotels and leisure facilities within the city, I am only sorry that this added to the frustration of your stay with us.

I would be keen to discuss the plans we have for the hotel and attempt to restore your faith in Millennium hotels, I would therefore be grateful if you could send me your contact details and I will endeavour to contact you.

Best regards

Ben Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,952)

Reviewed 13 February 2011

Having read the previous reviews I nearly canceled my booking, I'm so glad I did not, from the moment we checked in the staff was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, room was very clean and comfy, the food in Bugis street was delicious.
The only thing is the rooms are dated and this hotel would really benefit from a refurb, if you want a modern hotel stay else where, if you want a hotel that is clean and as great food and service I suggest you stay here and make your own view and not believe all you read.

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear Krasobtong,

Thank you for visiting TripAdvisor and sharing your feedback on the Copthorne hotel Birmingham.

I am delighted that you chose to experience the hotel in person and receive the friendly service we aim to provide.

I hope that we will be able to continue impressing you & that you become one of our many regular customers.

Best regards

Ben Thomas

Reviewed 9 February 2011

Just returned from a wonderful weekend at The Copthorne, yes we were standing outside on the carpark at 3am, but no fault of the excellent management & staff plus i thought it was quite funny, the hotel is smack bang in the middle of everything shopping & culture to the left, nightlife & bars,restaurants to the right.My wife & i stayed with a party of 12, all of us couples staying on the 2nd floor, the rooms were all clean & refurbished plus tea and coffee making facilities,everyone of us had no compliants of 2 nights we were there. top marks to the restaurant, what fabulous 3 course chinese/ singaporean spread and all in the price of the stay.
Would we go back?? YES, we are just looking for any excuse to do so.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2011

Dear Stokie2_11

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you had such a wonderful week end.

Also- thank you very much for your understanding during the emergency evacuation, I am glad it was managed satisfactorily; evacuations are never desired at any time. But, our staff are fully trained to assist with all aspects of your safety.

I hope to be able to welcome your party back again soon – keep an eye out for special offers on our web site. We do have many varied promotions available; the next really good one will be out soon for Easter.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 8 February 2011

I have no choice but to stay in this hotel as it is one of our 'preferred' business hotels. However, if you have a choice, don't stay here! Whilst it is in a good location and the staff are pleasant enough, I have absolutely no idea how it gets a 4 star status. The rooms are very out of date, the decor is tired and if you are really lucky, you get a room over looking the car park and the 'live music' venue! It's not equipped for modern life - who can make do with one plug socket in the age of the chargeable gadget?

I am also disappointed by a member of staff I spoke to about a possible room move. I understand the hotel is busy but I expect to be listened too and not brushed off. My reason for asking was I noticed the bar on the walkway was advertising live music and having been warned by a colleague just what this entails (sleepless nights until the early hours), I asked whether it was possible to move. I was told it was unlikely as the hotel was full this evening but 'if I had come to them earlier, they might have been able to do something'. I did try to say there was no way I could have known about the noise when I checked in as the bar is outside the hotel and you have to walk past it to see the signs! I was also told I would be contacted at 8.30 to confirm whether it was/wasn't possible to move. 2 hours later, I'm still waiting!

In addition, my room has damp patches, my bathroom has mould spots and there's a hole in the bathroom door!

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear Vickiedo,

Thank you for your review of your stay for the last 2 nights. I am pleased to read that you find the location and the staff to be pleasant.

I apologise that we were unable to resolve the issues that you encountered with the noise outside the locale of your room and the further issues within. If there were no alternative rooms available this most definitely should have been explained to you fuller at the time.

From the details that I currently have it would appear that you have a future stay with us. I would very much like to be able to restore your faith in our hotel and hope that you would consider calling me to resolve prior to arrival.
Again thank you for your review, all of your comments are valuable to us. I hope to speak to you very soon.

Heather Hoskins

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I was also dubious on reading some of the other reviews. However great value and location. Food very good and staff most helpful. Bathroom could do with a little update. I think some people just need something to complain about.

Only downside was the fire alarm going off at 3.00 pm on Saturday night - but hey no one's fault and everyone assembled outside in their jimmys and in good spirits!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
HeatherHoskins, Operations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear sneggysteve,

Thank you for taking time to post your review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel to be such great value, and in the main enjoyed your time with us.

Also thank you very much for remaining so positive during the emergency evacuation. As I am sure you appreciate; we take your health and safety very seriously.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

After reading some of the reviews on here i was very unsure of what to expect for my birthday weekend that my Husband had already booked!!! I am pleased to say, we have had a fantastic weekend which exceeded my expectations.

My Husband contacted the hotel operations manager in advance, who could not do enough for us!!! We parked the car easily in a secure car park opposite the hotel when we arrived. First impressions were good when we walked in, and the hotel smelt and looked clean. Reception staff were helpful and attentive. We were checked in quickly, with speed and efficiency.

Our room was a deluxe room on the 2nd floor. This was very clean and fully equipped as you would expect. We have stayed in many hotels, usually the Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza and i have to say this was the most comfortable hotel bed we have ever slept in!!!!!!!!

On Friday evening we ate dinner in the Brasserie, the food was fantastic and excellent value for money. Breakfast is served in here, in the morning, and is great. Lots of choice, the staff are very efficient and top up tea and coffee regularly and clean the tables quickly.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. After we parked the car for the weekend we did not use the front door again. If you leave the hotel via the back entrance, you have the Symphony Hall and Broad Street to the right with lots of bars and restaurants to choose from, and turning left you head straight for the shops

So, as you can see from my comments above, I am one very happy customer and can not thank the hotel staff enough for making our stay a pleasure. We will definitely return again in the future.

The hotel is clean , tidy, in a good location, with professional staff and excellent value for money. Perfect for a weekend away with or without the children.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clare034

Dear Clare034,

A belated happy birthday! I am glad you had such a good week end. I am sorry that I did not get to catch up with you both in person.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

Only stayed for 1 night, arriving at lunchtime on day 1, meeting all afternoon, out for dinner in the evening and then meeting all morning, depart after lunch.
Good location for Central Birmingham attractions, we walked up to Chinatown and had an excellent dinner. Some of my colleagues had some difficulties in getting off Paradise circus roundabout and into the carpark. There are two carparks, one at surface level open to the elements just opposite the hotel entrance, the other is next to the hotel and either beneath it or a multistorey (I' not sure I didn't use it). Both cost £12 for 24hours. Remember to get your exit ticket from reception when you are ready to leave. The reception staff were friendly enough but there was a bit of faffing about going on which meant each time I went there, I had to queue. Also, my pet hate, staff doing other things when people are waiting to be seen to.
The meeting room was ok, the projection unit tinged all the slides we used a strange yellow colour which was ok for us but if you were thrying to show something where colour and clarity mattered it would not have been great. Nice tea and coffee served during breaks together with delicious pastries.
I didn't make it to lunch on either day because of work commitments but my colleagues that did said it was nice, so obviously up the the standard of other business hotels we use.
My room was a bit tired looking and in places a bit tatty I thought. Fine for sleeping in for a night, but I probably would have been a little disappointed had I paid for it myself.
I have to say though that the all the staff I met were very friendly and helpful (apart from that observation about reception).
I'd stay here again if I got an outstanding deal and needed to be in the centre of Birmingham and didn't mind the quality of the rooms being a tad poor.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Dear Lizandtone,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to read that our staff were friendly and helpful. We do believe they are our best asset.

I will be sure to feedback your comments to them- I will also appraise the Reception team about your observations.

Please do drop me an e-mail when staying in the future as we do indeed have many and varied special offers on throughout the year.

Again thank you for your review.

Yours Sincerely,