“Council estate meets "hotel"”

Apollo Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #102 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 December 2011

The "hotel" looks like a council estate from the outside, and doesnt do a particularly good job of shedding this image on the inside.

We had a tiny double bed - at 5'10" I don't expect my feet to be off the end of the mattress! Lowered, industrial-style false ceiling makes the rooms feel like an 80s office building. Bathroom was a decent size, but mould was rife. Internal corridors and common areas were in dire need of a refurb.

Service level was pretty poor - one staff member continued a personal conversation for 5 minutes while a queue of people waited to checkout (unfortunately it wasn't clear she was staff other wise we would have had words!).

Location is ok, easy to get in and out from Birmingham.

Overall, would avoid. This was a last minute booking as there were no other hotels available in the city. Would not return.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Jharvey00

Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed here last Saturday 26th November. The rooms have been refurbished recently and they have improved significantly. I wanted a value for money hotel close to the City Centre and this is ideal for that. I was with a group of friends and we were on a night out, it was ideal. We were opposite TGI Fridays so started with Cocktails over there and then had a very short taxi into town with no hassle getting one. THe breakfast was also great. Not sure what some people expect reading the reviews to date but in my opionion this hotel is fine if your looking for budget value.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here unfortunately at the weekend and it was one of the worst places we've ever stayed at. It's horrible. After checking in we went to the first room they'd allocated us, this was supposed to be an 'Executive Suite' which lacked one simple thing like light bulbs! The one light that did work was hanging out of it's socket! We then changed to another room which was in a different block that did have lights (more than the previous but some were missing). This room had a lovely mold wallpaper effect and smelt damp. The best bit came when having a shower, when I looked up to see the spot light hanging 4 inches above my head whilst the water was on! If you could rate this room 0 out of 5 or even -5 out of 5... we would. When leaving, I moved the pint pot that had been placed on my car during the night and got out of there as quickly as possible. Grim.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank matt8732
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Update on the worst of the worst council estate looking Hotel. I purchased this 2night holiday break & left after 10 minutes. Contacted the hotel to speak to manager & was transfered to the manager who gave me a false name. e-mailed hotel - no response. contact EBay - They told me to contact Hotel Directly. Contacted Birmingham Trading Standards who told me to send them a registered letter as I was entitled to a full refund. No Reply. They also wrote to the hotel on my behalf requesting a full refund. No response. As a last resort I telephoned the hotel and spoke to the reception to ask the manager to return my call. No response to date. If you are entitled to a refund save your time and money and don`t bother as they don`t respond to any complaints. Basil S.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Basil S
Reviewed 22 November 2011

The only advantage this hotel can boast is that it is located opposite Akbars Indian Restaurant which is excellent. We paid £ 60 for a Double room and requested a Twin on arrival. The first Receptionist said that we could have a Twin Room but when we were eventually allowed to take the room it only had 1 bed! The new Recptionist said that as we booked a Double Room it was take that or have the one - bed Twin Room as there were no ther beds! My daughter had just arrived after a 40 hour journey from Australia and was desparate. We ended up with a mattress on the floor! The attitude was that we should be grateful to her as we had actually only requested a few blankets to put on the floor and she had been so kind as to provide a mattress out of her consideration and the attitude was take it or leave it but she wasn't interested any more.
We went to breakfast but we were refused as she said we had not booked for this. Ok - but the attitude was ignorant and arrogant. Asked for a reduction and of course - REFUSED.
The girl went out of her way to be as unpleasant as possible. AVOID !

Room Tip: Go with an accompaning male as the receptionist seemed to laugh and be more pleasant towards them.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Sylvia R
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed here 19 November 2011 as we'd stayed before around 5 or 6 years ago. I remember it being cheap but good enough for a simple overnight stay. This visit was more of the same but the place is looking very shabby. The hotel appearance is poor but there looks as though there is some renovation work going on to improve it.
We were in C section and the third floor. The walk up to the room took us through a stair case with cracks in the walls over tired old carpets with rips and frayed edges. There was also the distinct smell of cigarettes. In two places there was no lighting due to blown bulbs.
Our room was fine and the bed appeared to be new. There was one part of the room where the wallpaper appeared to have been damaged due to a room leak and this had lifted. The bathroom looked like it was from the 70's or 80's and had the accumulation of 3 decades of repairs to go with it. The toilet flush was cobbled together and worked with a little bit of assistance.

The best part of our stay was the breakfast, which for the price was actually very good.

If all you want is a cheap room for a night out in Birmingham then its probably sufficient.

We wont be returning again.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel. The premier inn is over the road.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Ok so I had read reviews about this place on trip advisor.. I just wish I'd taken note of them! Yes, it does look like a prison.. Or just like where Earl Hickey lives in the tv show: My Name Is Earl. I can just about deal with that.. Walk into room/bathroom.. To my girlfriends horror.. Low and behold some dirty thong left draped over the radiator. Was the cleaner blind!?! Or do they even have cleaners?! My thoughts about the place so far are that of a place where prostitutes bring their clients. Lovely. We complain about the knickers to a cleaner we happened to find walking outside and she came in and removed them.. And pointed out this wasnt a room she had done. So we head out to do some shopping and return to get ready for the night out. My girlfriend now absolutely amazed that there was no hot water coming from the shower.. Which actually just trickled water from a height.. "She's going to wash her hair quickly here" I'm thinking...! Well, when we had to complain about the water, we were told that it's because everyone else in the hotel would be showering and getting ready to go out..This is a hotel!! It should be able to have many people showering at the same time! Anyway, the manager came and checked it for us and as there wasn't actually anything the manager could do about it.. We were moved to another room upstairs. Again, shower trickled water but this time it was luke warm so by now we just thought the best thing we could do was to just warn other people to stay well clear of this hotel and spend a little extra for somewhere cleaner and actually.. just more like a hotel!! Normal rates for the double room we had were £70-90.. I paid £35 and that was £35 too much. You could pay me £35 and I wouldn't return to this place. AVOID! You have been warned! To top this off.. We have not been offered any compensation and I don't think we will either.

• Stayed: November 2011