“Wrong room mate!!”

Apollo Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #103 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Arrived at the apollo reluctantly two nights ago after my booking at the paragon turned out to be a mistake. Anyway I turned up here and first thoughts were 'oh my god' this looks like some kind of dingy hostel! The guy at the desk apologised that I had to come across town due to the paragon getting it wrong with their bookings. He swiftly gave me a key and up I trotted to my room...it was now 1am. After fiddling with the door card for a bit the door finally opened but was stopped by a keychain. Out of nowhere came a voice in the most perfect brummy accent "wrong room mate!" jees! How embarrassing! Finally got given a room without someone sleeping in it but the room was freezing cold. At 7am I couldn't get out quick enough..

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Medrep31

Reviewed 18 August 2012

A conveniently located Hotel with value for money conference facility. Rooms are a little dated but clean. The staff were friendly and helpful, the bar is basic and I could not recommend the draught beer, but a good selectiom of chilled bottled. There was no dinner available but a very good Indian restuarant just across the main road. A good full English breakfast was included in the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed for a long week-end to explore Birmingham, and had chosen this hotel after having read some decent reviews on TripAdvisor, however our experience fell well short of what we had expected!
It has 126 rooms and is divided into 6 blocks, A-F.
We had been given the Arden suite in block F, even though I had booked a double room online. The room was large, with a kingsize and a single. However, we had not been informed that there was complete refurbishment of the whole hotel in progress, and this was in a part of the complex that had yet to be done.
AND IT SHOWED!
Blocks B, C & D have been completed , A, E & F should be finished within the next TWO YEARS. BE WARNED - DON'T ACCEPT A ROOM IN THE UN-REFURBISHED PART.
Critcisms included:- basic 15" ancient TV (the olympics were on and we had to go to the bar to see any channel showing it other than BBC1): filthy carpets: extractor fan and one downlight in bathroom not working: cushion missing from lounge chair: no hotel information pack in room.
The breakfast was charged @ £8.50 each and I considered to be well over-priced. The kitchens were being re-furbished so there was a limited choice in the full english. Janina tried her best and was eternally cheerful. At least the bar was open 24/7!
Unfortunately I can only comment on what we experienced and this may be unfair to what the general standard of the hotel may be after it has been fully re-furbished. Just be aware if you are considering staying there in the next two years.

Room Tip: Check if you are being offered a room in the un-refurbished area. If so, haggle on the price!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I found the Apollo convenient for attending a conference in Broad Street, whilst far cheaper than the Broad Street hotels. The agency I booked with went bankrupt, but the hotel honoured my booking and charged me a very reasonable rate, with breakfast included. The breakfast set me up for a tiring day and the room was comfortable, if a little faded.

The problem was the lift. I was in the annex and you need to use your room key to call the lift at ground floor level. The security device was faulty and reception were incapable of fixing it, so guests had to walk up one flight and bring the lift down to collect heavy luggage. Hopefully this has been fixed since then.

So long as the lift now works, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: For convenience, generally try to get a room in the main building, not one of the annexes. However t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed here a couple of years ago and found it very dated, hgving decided to give it another try we were pleasantly surprised. The common areas have been refurbished to a decent standard and they are in the process of doing the rooms. Unfortunately, due to our requirements we had rooms that have not been updated yet. The hotel is well placed with plenty of parking, it doesn't look like much from the o upside but my experience of the rooms are of a decent seize.

The one dissapointment is the tv reception, in the old rooms the tvs are tiny, the new rooms have flat screens but there is a very limited channel selection. We would consider staying here again in one of the updated rooms as its location is convenient for our needs rather than for its facilities.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed here a while back due to a meeting I had in birmingham.
Shortly after my check in I stood on the balcony to see the receptionist telling two "working girls" to leave, not only was the happening in broad day light, I was disgusted this was the duty of the receptionist, I did go over to the bar afterwards and she seemed ok, so she was clearly used to it. She did inform me
I was in a refurbed room, it was ok, nothing amazing, On the plus size, the breakfast was very nice, all in all of the hotel treats its staff that way, as if the guests matter

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Pennylane27
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Went to a birthday party here a 70th,As soon as we pulled into the carpark i started to worry and rightly so,the hotel is so disjointed its more like a block of council flats.Anyway the room seemed okay but my wife pointed out some mould in the wall and this was a new room! It smelt of stale smoke and feet,the carpet was dirty,but hey ho we were only sleeping there (if only we were able to sleep) the party went well couldnt fault the buffet and we turned in at half ten due to our 12 month old twins.As we walked across the carpark we noticed a large group of asian male and females all being loud and swearing this continued till 05.00 and at one point we thought a mass brawl would break out.Nobody at the hotel said anything to these [--] and they spoilt a good night out.The breakfast was excellent but i did breathe a sigh of relief as me and my family left to go home it did not feel at all safe or homely avoid this place its awfull

• Stayed: July 2012