“Disgraceful and the worse customer service I have ever came across. Stay away”

Apollo Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #102 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Disgraceful and the worse customer service I have ever came across. Stay away”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Arrived at the hotel was a young lady who was rude at reception. Went into the room which wasn't the cleanest room I have been too. However I did not spent at lot at £50 so didn't moan. After an hour I found the tv did not work .... Back to reception who reluctantly moved us to a room with no lights. On the end they told me they had no other rooms ( they where charging people who hadn't booked a lot more then my £50 that where coming in drunk ) I agreed with the manager to cancel my room who was also very rude. Later I find out he informed my booking company I was a no show! This is unbelievable a manager would lie. I am currently taking this further as its not about a refund any more it's about poor customer service with staff that need a lot of training.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Missmelissabrown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
English Lake District
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We Had a 2 night weekend stay at The Apollo at very good price. We were surprised to find that we were in 'Block F' which we had taken to be flats, and which was situated across from the main reception and dining area in a separate building, motel style. The room was very spacious and clean although a little dated, but was a good base for our weekend. We were overlooking a very busy road but road noise was not intrusive and we benefited from having a bus stop just yards down the road for easy access to and from the city centre. We were on the third floor, the lift was out of order and judging by the curling edged notice attached to it had been for some time. This was not a problem for us as we were traveling light, but might be for some. Breakfast was average the first morning, much better on day 2 ( maybe different chefs), and staff were friendly and helpful.
Best of all, TGI Friday, a Beefeater pub, a fabulous Indian restaurant and a casino are all just across the road and well worth visiting.
This is not a luxury hotel but rooms are well equipped, good value for money as a base for spending a few days in Birmingham, and easily accessed from the motorway. We would book there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jarves
Beanacre, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed here last night and will be again tonight. I found the hotel on laterooms.com and for £34.99 what a delightful find. The room was very well maintained and very clean. The bathroom was v ery clean and well appoinyted with copious ampunts of hot water.

The rooms are like mini apartment accessed from an external balcony rather thatn a corridor, the room was pleasantly warm and very comfortable. Really good, new, large flat screen tv as well.

1 Thank Pete C
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Great stay. No complaints. £49 per night. Free parking and wi-fi. Quiet, no noise from street. Good bed. Water pressure could be better. Hot water is hot! Good value. This review is to be 200 characters, difficult if you have no complaints!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank AussieTraveller795
Wokingham
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I could have given this a four rating actually if it was just all about value for money. We had a really good price as a result of having a group discount, however, the place looks a bit like a couple of 1960s residential blocks of flats. It is apparently meant to be modelled on the style of a USA motel block but it doesn't quite come off. Also the lift doesn't reach the top floor and the arrangement of staircases is strange. Nonetheless, the room we had was fine, if a bit dark. It was clean and, from the look of it, had a bit of a refurbish as the bathroom was very nice with one glaring problem. The shower was dire! This was a pity as the actual water temperature was constant but the water came out in what was not much better than a trickle. The amount from the shower head was okay but there was no pressure behind it. This may have been because we were on the top floor at the very end of the block but I was one of a number of people in a group that was staying there and one of them told me she had to rinse her hair under the tap. So come on Apollo - put in power showers. I would have preferred to have a duvet rather than a sheet and blanket, I must also say. As far as the other aspects of the hotel were concerned, the hospitality was excellent. We were allowed to have a room for a meeting and a special dinner and we were well looked after, with a very nice menu for the dinner and excellent service. Everyone agreed that the breakfast was very good. The bar is not cheap but is less expensive than the hotels in the city centre that I have visited. Parking is fine and there are some decent restaurants within 200 yards. There are plenty of buses passing by but even if you walked it is only about 25 minutes to the NIA and I am not that fast. Driving to the city centre takes only a few minutes. We had a problem on Friday and Saturday with noisy nightclubbers coming in at 4.30am but a call to Reception resulted in security sorting it out within 5 minutes. Brilliantly dealt with! There is free wifi - more expensive hotels take note!
I would certainly recommend you to stay here if you want a reasonable room with a good breakfast at a fair price. I would be happy to stay here again. Just make sure you check out the shower before you accept the room. Also ask for a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Check out the shower before moving into the room and don't get one on the top floor if you don...
2 Thank beachluvver
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

stayed here 2 weeks ago - just drove by no prebooking and was charged £45 for every night we stayed - female staff were very helpful and 'older' lady was the best making a very difficult trip - due to sudden family death - so much easier - male staff were a little less helpful and direct! but not rude though - we were moved to 3 different rooms during our 10 day stay and always at the same room rate - yes the rooms are dated and the older rooms do not have lcd digital tv but they were all clean and basic - the rooms opposite reception are to be avoided as they are right on the car park with lots of car engine noise early and door slamming etc - the suites are excellent value and spacious if a little dated and little or nothing in the way of tv - blankets as in pics are a little dated - radiator leak in one room so turned off and very cold as was below 0 when we visited! free parking though ...

Room Tip: far end of building away from car park for quieter rooms
1 Thank ezzy66
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2013

For brief visit to area, overnight stay and such like, this is adequate, their are better places further into the Midlands, really dependant on budget and what you are after, this could do better in so many areas but unfortunately I think it has been left to whittle to an un-adequate stature, staff are clearly not trained to a 'hotel' criteria and many areas of the establishment could be much updated by way of refurbishment and décor, with a higher standard care of this premises and better operational Management I feel this could improve if only by a little.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo