“£100 cash/card pre auth!”

Apollo Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #103 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“£100 cash/card pre auth!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked this last minute through expedia and thought we'd got a really good deal. When we checked in, although the receptionist confirmed it was prepaid, she asked us for our £100 card or cash pre auth incase of any extras or damages to the room! This is more than double what the room cost in the first place! This is nowhere to be seen on the website and even the four girls checking in next to us had no idea and had to scrape together whatever they could to make the £100. Luckily we had it however if you're not so lucky, I'm not sure the receptionist cared enough to help.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank MrsLadkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Booked this at the last minute and was very pleasantly surprised, yes the layout is a little odd when you first arrive and the building is not necessarily inspiting but there is excellent car parking space and a lot of rooms. We were in a triple room and can honestly say it was absolutely immaculate, can't fault the cleanliness at all. The sheets etc were very obviously freshly cleaned, the bathroom was spotless. Our only complaint was the lack of teaspoon with the teas/coffees. Would recommend it at the reduced price we paid but would be disappointed if we'd paid the standard room rate which was twice as much, definitely not worth the full price!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel offers excellent value for money, with it's unique layout and modern ensuite rooms. It is also in a good location, just a mile or so from the city centre and has a selection of restaurants near by e.g. Akbahs and TGI Friday. My room was spacious with a modern bath/shower room en-suit. Breakfast was made to order as the hotel was quiet. However, a buffet style service is provided when busy. I will definitely stay here again, either for business or pleasure.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank John K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My friend and I stayed at this hotel prior to a visit to Cadbury World. The location is very good and the rooms we selected were cheap. This was reflected in the room and the contents therein
One room had absolutely no toiletries and the lights would not stay on without the key card inserted. The other room had full toiletries and a switch for the lights. Big difference despite being next to each other
It is the only time I have ever forgotten my own shampoo and shower gel. I had to take those from my friends room. I wish I hadn't bothered
They smelt very similar to the shampoo I use to bathe my dogs! Bit of a shock. As I have incredibly sensitive skin I was very concerned I would have difficulties the following day
There are a lot of parking spaces. Very good from this point of view
We were advised by the receptionist that breakfast was fresh cooked every morning. Er. No
It was actually a buffet breakfast and I have no idea how long it had sat awaiting attention. Seriously not nice. Greasy bacon and rubbery scrambled eggs. Cold beans and tomatoes
So. The upshot is, I would happily stay there again for the location and the price but I would make sure I took everything I needed and I would get breakfast across the road

Room Tip: Book in advance and ask for a deal
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Razlog, Bulgaria
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have been there twice, first time in 2006. Location is great-a 25 min walk from Bull Ring. Easy to find and peaceful. At first funny shaped but once you settle it all makes sense. Service is very good and will recommend for 2-5 days stays.

• Stayed March 2013
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This was booked for me through work not myself, otherwise I would not of gone near.

The hotel look is very very dated inside and out, staff are friendly enough, but on first impressions seemed expensive.

Going upstairs to where my room was, broken lights, old carpets.

In the room, tv could hardly get a picture, was a very very old 12 or 14" portable with few channels. The bedding was very very old. Lights on the walls were literally hanging off waiting to fall off.

In the bathroom, their were marks and im talking bright yellow marks where the math on the bat had been used thousands of times by the look of it, the bath was dirty with plenty of hairs clearly visible, to the extent I had to wash the bath down to use it.

Breakfast was dire, mass produced self service, which was warm at best, the toast was cold by time had got it to the table.

I honestly have never stayed in a worst hotel, my colleague with me's view was that its been run down for closure.

On checkout, a number of other guests checking out all entered into a similar conversation how we would never stay there again and all exchanging stories of how bad our rooms were for various reasons.

The manager didn't say hope to see you again, obviously had heard all the guests complaining on checkout.

The staff when spoken to were polite.

Room Tip: go elsewhere Is my only advice
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Finding it and parking are easy. As soon as I walked into reception I smelt a strong old pub bar smell (very off putting), there is a bar right next to reception. The rooms are in separate building blocks across from reception, mine was E. On entering the block to get to my room there was a strong smell of cigarettes and old, this remained throughout. The lift is dodgy and worked only once, I suggest you avoid it.The tv is very dated and only had two working channels, the bathroom had a strong smell of urine but looked clean. There were stains on the carpet I could see, wouldn't want to be bare foot. I couldn't imagine showering there or staying in that room and have asked for another room as I have a week booked so will see if another block/room is cleaner.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo