“Unwelcome surprises”

Apollo Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #103 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Booked a twin room for a friend and I who were in town for an event. Was on my wallet so wanted something cheap, settled on this eventually.

Had to get a taxi to and from the location, something you need to consider when you are totalling the cost. We were going between Millennium Point and here most of the time, cost us around £7 a trip. In fairness we had suitcases to port around and apparently "all the buses" go past the hotel.

The hotel itself is more of a motel - it's a big site with tons of little rooms, the ground floor rooms have their doors on the ground floor exposed to the elements.

I reserved the room online and paid for it upon arrival - it was 2 nights for around £100. What they do not tell you until you get there is they do some kind of pre-approved charge or something (forgot the exact term but someone mentioned it in another review) of £100 that they can basically charge you in case you trash the room or whatever. I was immediately pissed off with this because it's a surprise charge, even if the money isn't taken out of your account. Not everyone is going to have another £100 in their account. I gave them a card to do this with and there wasn't enough money in it, so I said 'so what happens now?', they took a photocopy of my ID instead. It's an annoying policy and I'm not surprised they don't mention it in advance. I'd describe this hotel as the kind of place people in films go to kill prostitutes etc so I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes rooms get trashed or someone steals a kettle etc.

Our room was on the ground floor directly opposite the reception, with cars parked in front and people walking past, so a hell of a lot more noise than one would have liked, especially for the person sleeping next to the window.

The central heating did not work in our room; I told a staff member and he immediately brought an electric heater for us to use so well done to him. My roommate decided to order fish & chips to our room at 2am which the guy handled as well so kudos for that!

Despite the central heating not working, the taps and showers were piping hot which was fantastic.

Room Tip: Not on ground floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Hakf

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Ive just been to collect my mate from this hotel at 11:50pm.. 27/8/14 got ushered out hotel by rude doorman shouting " i know what you are here for get out " I at this point had not said one word to him.
I tried to explain that i was picking up a friend but he then shouted " get out or i call police " and threw me out .
he then started taking photos of me as i was trying to call my friend in his room to tell him to come down. All the time shouting " im calling the police ".
I had to wait 10 mins for my friend to come down all the time this doorman shouting "we dont like your kind here, we know what your up to get of property "
if this is the way this hotel which frankly is cheap nasty hotel treat me a lady on own at nearly mid nite god knows how they treat paying guests., Which my friend was...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rkarma17
Reviewed 26 May 2014

For us the location is great, a thirty minute walk from the city centre.
Free on site parking and easily accessible with some good restaurants nearby.
I've stayed before, the room was suitably equipped. It was dusty despite appearing well cleaned, perhaps it hadn't been occupied in a few nights.
Is suggest some effort is needed on cleaning the gutters visible from the second floor rooms!!
You do get a great stay for the price, and I'll gladly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is amazing value for money. The rooms are really comfortable with great beds. The staff are very friendly. The location is perfect with on the main road into the city and less than a mile away

Room Tip: Book you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theclint0ns
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Was disappointed with the distance from the train station, with a taxi fair of over £7. The website stated that broad street was a 5 minute walk but was infact a half an hour walk. The room was nicely presented, a good size, but we unfortunately found big stains and hairs in the one bed. The kettle did not work. The room was boiling, the window only opened about an inch and there was no air conditioning so we had an uncomfortable nights sleep. Up on arrival we was required to pay a £100 deposit which was not stated before hand. There was groups of other guested hanging around the hallway and outside our window playing music which could be intimidating. It was okay for a 1 night say but I wouldn't recommend it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 April 2014

After reading the reviews on this site I was a little dubious about my booking at this hotel. However, this was totally unfounded. When we first approached the hotel the outside does look very run down and the whole impression is definitely of an outdated building. This is in complete contrast with the image you receive when entering the reception area. The reception is very nice, spacious and of a good decorative state. This area also houses the hotel bar which was certainly sufficient for the needs of it's guests. Just past the bar is the dining area which is also very good. I will cover the breakfast itself slightly later.

I had originally booked a double room after a successful eBay bid but the hotel were very accommodating and easily allowed me to change this to a family/triple room with just a small extra fee. The hotel staff from first contact via telephone to in person during our stay were all fantastic. When I checked in the lady on reception could not have been more helpful or friendly. She suggested places to visit and was more than happy to advise me of the bus numbers to enable us to travel into the City Centre without having to try and struggle in our own car.

The hotel room was lovely, very spacious and faultlessly clean. The beds were very comfortable and I was delighted to see that the two pillows per person given were of a good density, not the usual wafer thin rubbish supplied by other hotels. The only things that could have improved the room itself would have been the provision of a coat hanger, which there was plenty of room for, thicker walls (we were able to hear everything from the room next to us, and I do mean everything!) and a better shower. The shower did have a good flow but only at a temperature above 38°c, anything lower than this and you were literally standing over the bath plughole, a garden hose would have been more effective.

The breakfast was very good with sufficient options. There was a range of fruit juices, cereals, fruits, yogurt, a few pastries and then a buffet English Breakfast. Coffee/Tea and toast were served to order and constantly replenished. Again the staff were very friendly and helpful.

There are plenty of restaurants nearby for your evening meal. The nearest cash machines appear to be within the Akbars Indian Restaurant or the Quality Hotel on the other side of the road. Alternatively there is a cash machine in the convenience store located 7 minutes walking distance from the hotel towards the city centre. As these are the nearest shops I would suggest that you take with you any snacks and drinks you may want outside of your breakfast and evening meals.

All in all I was very pleased with this hotel and our stay and would certainly recommend this to people looking for a short stay in a nice hotel without having to pay too much.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Well I have stayed in some dives in Birmingham and didn't know what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised. Stayed in block E. The room had a very 70's feel about it but it was cute, like stepping into crossroads motel. Everything was clean and tidy and in good order. Just a small detail though, I'm over 6ft and the single bed wasn't long enough. I would definitely recommend this place if yr looking for somewhere to stay 5 mins from city and will definitely stay again :)

• Stayed: April 2014