Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
US$73
US$70
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsswimming poolhealth clubleisure facilitiesdrayton manorexecutive roomshort breaksat navbooked this hotelcooked breakfaststayed here for one nightsaturday nightfull englishyogurtmotorwaygymathleticsjacuzzi
Reviewed 22 January 2013

The car park here was completely covered in thick snow, and other than the main path which had been gritted and cleared, all other paths and roads had not been cleared in any way. My car was stuck in about four inches of snow within minutes of arriving early evening.

I had to go back out soon after checking in, and to be fair the hotel did send staff members out to help. Two guys dressed in suits, probably managers who pushed my car out.

Is this how you deal with snow Holiday Inn, by risking the safety of your staff to try and push cars out when it is treacherous underfoot?

The hotel was almost completely full both nights I stayed, and yet they can't even pay for some grit to try and melt some of the snow, let alone invest in, or hire a mini snow plough.

Are your shareholders that demanding of maximising profits that they compromise everyone's safety, both guests and staff? Remember this when you get sued off somebody.

Also there was a cock up when booking. My company had booked for two nights and this never came through to the reception desk computer. The booking agency phoned back in the afternoon and my room was booked back again. When I arrived back that evening, the room had not been cleaned, the bed hadn't been made, the bin not emptied, no fresh towels, no instant coffee refills, nothing done at all. Again, the reception staff had to sort out the failing of Holiday Inn systems.

I also ask for a room with no breakfast rate when I HAVE to stay in this hotel, as my requests for vegan food end in disaster, with some cooks not even knowing what vegan food is. In my view, a bowl of ultra bland microwaved mushrooms, tinned fruit, bean soup, and months old dairy free spread with a crust on, is simply not acceptable for a breakfast which costs £10.

I also heard off one of the staff about another guest being upset because the same chef didn't know what Halal food was.

The rooms are cold, the beer is flat, no free internet access in rooms, no lifts to the bottom or top floors, so if you have heavy cases expect to struggle, although the staff will help upon request (yes the staff will break their back for you to ensure Holiday Inns profits are maximised.)

Very limited television channels (you actually get twice as many on free view at home), they don't even have ITV+1, so if you get in late evening, you will miss your soaps/dramas if you like this sort of thing - infuriating. If I had to guess why TV channels are limited to less than what every household in UK can get, I would guess it is to try and get more money out of you to pay for something decent to watch, same as why internet is not free.

Although the staff here clearly try their best and often even exceed expectation when things go wrong, as things almost always do, I suspect they are undermanned, underpaid and fighting a losing battle.

Also the infrastructure/systems used seem to be totally ineffective, with booking requests not getting through, as is training of 'chefs' who don't know what vegan food is.

Best things here is the free gym and pool, and having nearby shops and restaurants where decent food and drink can be found.

And the thing is, Holiday Inn charge absolutely top dollar prices for this excuse for a first class business hotel.

Hopefully other hotels in the area will be available next time I stay in the West Midlands, especially the Park Inn at J1 on the M5 which also has a free gym, free internet in all rooms, warm rooms, gets breakfast requests right, has Freeview + optional pay channels, and costs less.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception and on the ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank cubedice
JABowater, PA to GM at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

On behalf of the team at the hotel I read your comments with concern and disappointment. The kind of feedback you have provided is very useful and taken seriously in order for us to find solutions and deliver the best quality of service and hospitality to all our guests.

Your comments will be discussed in our weekly meetings and where possible changes will be implemented. We do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

J Bowater

Reviewed 16 January 2013

Specially requested a double room . Could only get a twin . After a row got a small double bed
Rooms are fine but only one towel
Gym is pretty good with a decent pool
Wifi in rooms but you have to pay for it . At this day and age you would imagine this is standard. Just annoys the customer.
Dinner was ok ... Asked for olive oil and it never came . Sirloin had a lot of fat . For what it charged would have expected more ... It is a pity the holiday inns can vary so much
Won't be saying here again

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rorytr
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Dear Rorytr,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and for the negative impression you had with the quality of the service you received and if we were not able to honor your request. I will certainly discuss your comments with the respective departments for improvements. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

Thank you again and we hope to have a chance to serve you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 January 2013

The hotel is quite nice and has green surroundings, which gives one a sense of serenity as they enter the hotel. It's easily accessible by bus as well, which, considering it is near a motorway is quite good.
The hotel has no lifts, all rooms are accessible via stairs (i.e. those not on the ground floor). I normally would complain about the lack of lifts, but the stairs aren't a long flight or steep or anything like that: they are perfectly manageable.
The room we were allocated, 336, was a lovely one, twin bedded rooms. Unfortunately, the main light was not working, but I was not keen to make a fuss and made do with the bed head lamp and table lamp. The heating was working very well, and heated up the room really quickly, unlike one finds in most hotels; where you have to wait at least 25 minutes after switching on the heating to have your room warmed. Moreover, the bathroom is nice and clean albeit a little small. There is a lot of space for luggage/baggage, which is great as we were there 2 nights.
I did not have breakfast and so cannot comment on it. The room service was excellent though, we requested an ice bucket and glasses, and they came promptly. The housekeeping was not so quick to bring a batch of tea and milk requested. Also, they failed to change the sheets in the morning although there was a big pizza stain on the cover, from the night before. Granted, we made the mess, but surely, it is just common hygeine and even simple cleanliness to change a very obviously dirty sheet, rather than straighten and tuck it back in!!
The health club is not the best I have seen, the pool looks a little old and discoloured; and though it is just my opinion, even the water seemed a little murky. Perhaps that is why there so much chlorine in the pool: you can smell it from afar off... The sauna/steam room is quite tiny; one person can take up all the space if they reclined. But overall, they have nice clean changing rooms and friendly staff.
Reception staff were good and friendly, both on check in and check out and made me feel very welcome. I'd recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet getaway and a relaxing time. You can have a good rest and relax in the health club and being far away from the road, there is very little chance of being disturbed by the noise of cars driving.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback which I read with interest and concern. Your information is very useful to us and is taken seriously, in order for us to find solutions and remain focused on delivering “Great Hotels Guests Love”.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Enjoyed a 2 day city break booked through Superbreak for £49/night for a family of 4 BB. Good value, children loved leisure facilities, good buffet breakfast. The room was fine, clean, a bit small and too warm, had to have windows open all night in January! The staff are a credit to the company, all friendly and very helpful.
Easy to get in and out of birmingham by car.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee67
JABowater, PA at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments. I have taken the liberty of displaying a copy for the staff to see, in order that they are aware of your comments, as I am sure they will be greatly encouraged.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stay on a regular basis two or three times through the year and find that, although usually busy because of our connections with athletics, the hotel reception and catering staff (especially the chef) look after us well. Look out for wine special offers.

Room Tip: Upgrades are worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and for your comments. I have taken the liberty of displaying a copy for the staff to see, in order that they are aware of your comments, as I am sure they will be greatly encouraged.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.