“Family time away”

Ranked #78 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Derbyshire, UK.
“Family time away”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We had booked two nights away with the family. We booked it as a mystery hotel with Superbreaks for £49 a night bed and breakfast.

The check in was slow as the receptionist was trying to locate a room for a family that 'wasn't on the system.' A friendly receptionist came and helped out. The room was pleasant. The sofa bed was made up ready. The bathroom was small and needed redecorating.

We ate in the hotel on the first night. The service was slow in the bar. The staff in the restaurant were friendly but the food was ordinary and expensive. The children eat free (main courses are expensive to compensate.) But the children buffet was cold and offered poor quality food. We had to question the bill as we were charged for the children's ice cream. The wine was overpriced (£25 for wine that you can get in a supermarket for less than a tenner.)

Breakfast was fine. The first day we were almost constantly being offered coffee top up but on the second day there was no one about to ask.

We also used the pool which was warmer on the first day but much colder on the second day. The changing area was clean and the staff were helpful and friendly.

Overall we had a lovely time. The room tended to be too warm but was comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JoWilson
JABowater, PA to GM at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments. I have taken the liberty of displaying a copy for the staff to see, in order that they are aware of your comments, as I am sure they will be greatly encouraged.

PA to General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
ARDEE
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I went to Birmingham on a business trip last week. I booked Holiday Inn M6 J7 using my Visa Card. I received confirmation both my email and telephone. My flight was delayed by 2 hours leaving Dublin. I couldn't call the hotel to inform them as their website only lists the central reservations number. I arrived at the hotel at midnight by taxi to discover that they had sold my room. Their cancellation policy allowed them to take payment from my visa card if I didn't show up. Obviously they decided to cash in on the double on my room.
I had to head out in the rain at midnight to look for alternative accomodation. I was disgusted by their policy and won't be using them again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank SAZNICL
On behalf of the team at the hotel I read your comments with concern and disappointment. The kind of feedback you have provided is very useful and taken seriously in order for us to find solutions and deliver the best quality of service and hospitality to all our guests.

Your comments will be discussed in our weekly meetings and where possible changes will be implemented. We do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

J Bowater
PA to General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night on business as I was working and traveling up north for business after appointments in south . The location was perfect as obviously from the address its just off the m6 juction 7 and very easy to find while missing any town traffic. The rooms are large and clean although a fair walk to bar reception , ok for me though . The service by bar staff was excellent and the food was of good standard , they also put the football on which was good! .
The bar lounge area is good size with lots of sofa and Chairs , really nice .
The breakfast buffet was good. I paid around 95 pounds for double bed, breakfast and dinner all inclusive . Only possible let down was Internet was chargeable , even in bar area.

I would stay in this hotel again if in the area.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Hampshire
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The reviews foir this hotel are fair. Based on what we read we didn't have high expectations. It is more 3 star than 4. The rooms need decorating and there was mould on the bathroom ceiling. The bed was comfortble enough. We booked a double room through a 3rd party and were allocated a twin. Reception explained that the deal we booked did not guarantee a double. I was annoyed that no one had told us this but recetion were very helpful and found us another room and upgaded us. BTW, if I had paid for the upgrade I would not have been happy as the room was inferior to most standard rooms in a 4 Star. Also if you feel the cold you will freeze in the bathroom as it was not heated. The food was ok- seemed to be chips with everything. More like pub food, but as it was cheap it was good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback which I read with interest and concern. Your information is very useful to us and is taken seriously, in order for us to find solutions and remain focused on delivering “Great Hotels Guests Love”.

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Unpretentious slightly older Holiday Inn. Reasonably clean, friendly receptionist on check in. Room was fine and bed was comfortable but no safe and a long walk from reception. Good for a night or two stopover.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I'm not usually a fan of the corporate establishments, with their homogenised interiors and androgynous staff. So I was pleasantly surprised by this particular hotel with its warm & friendly staff, not too mention the great service and fantastic food from the restaurant...a credit to the Holiday Inn chain, I'll be checking them out more often in future.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
JABowater, PA to GM at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 5 February 2013

Fuengirola, Spain
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I use this hotel a lot when that way on business as its usually a bit cheaper than in town and have free parking. It is a little tatty in parts and the pool area I noticed during my last stay is tatty as well, but I know they are slowly getting round to doing it up. The food is usual hotel prices but I find the choice good and food good as well. There is an Indian restaurant close by as well.
The staff I have always found friendly and the service here for me always been great.
WIFI expensive though.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PaulCFC
JABowater, PA to GM at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 30 January 2013

PA to General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham Marriott Hotel
Birmingham Marriott Hotel
#31 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7? Share your experiences!