“Lovely hotel with swimming pool”

Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Best bed i have ever slept in hotel wise. Very comfy. Lovely quiet room, used the excellent swimming pool and jacuzzi. Room 151 One or two grumbles, no lift .the more elderly in our coach party grumbled about having to carry overnight bags down an up flights of stairs. The towel rail heater in room 151 didn't work so nowhere to dry my swimsuit overnight. I had the evening meal which was o.k. Nothing special, tasted a bit bland. The breakfast likewise The staff were very courteous and helpful .

Room Tip: 151 nice and quiet
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 209011Carol
JABowater, PA to GM at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thank you for your feedback which I read with interest and concern. Your information is very useful to us and is taken seriously, in order for us to find solutions and remain focused on delivering “Great Hotels Guests Love”.

Your comments will be discussed in our weekly meetings and where possible changes will be implemented. We do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

From the outside this place looks like a really big old peoples home, it looks dated and has very little styling or character. Thankfully the inside is much better.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the bar area is modern and comfortably. I didn't have a evening meal in the hotel, preferred to visit the Basmati Indian restaurant just over the road because it's superb. But the breakfasts are quite good with plenty of choice (hot and cold).

The rooms have been updated recently, since the last time I was here, and they are modern and comfortable, with 32" LCD TVs and very comfortable beds (walls are a bit thin though so you might get some noise). The bathroom was big, the only real complaint was that the fixed shower head was low and as i'm over 6' I had to bend over to get washed properly.

Overall, very good and would stay here again (I will be in April and June).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
JABowater, PA to GM at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments. I have taken the liberty of displaying a copy for the staff to see, in order that they are aware of your comments, as I am sure they will be greatly encouraged.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

I stayed here one night for business. I had booked rooms for a conference then next day and had booked internet access, the staff at the desk kindly pointed out that this was booked for 24 hours so I could begin using it in my room that night to save paying extra.
When I got to my room I could not get the internet to work, I called reception and rather than just try and talk instructions over the phone the lady came down to my room and sat for 10 minutes with me trying to get it working. There was a fault with the internet which wasn't rectifiable from the room so off the lady went to fix it, calling me twice in the next 20 minutes to see if it was working- it was by the second call. Going out of her way to help was really very nice.
The room was clean and warm, the bed was comfortable and the room service delicious.
The next day the conference went well and we were looked after well.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Have stayed here many times over the years. A couple of years back it was getting tired and run down and we were reluctant to venture back. Glad we did, though. Rooms have been refreshed and the staff are now extremely friendly and polite. Restaurant meals are much, much better than on previous visits and the dinner menu and food very good and reasonably priced. Location is good for Birmingham centre and the NEC and the hotel is now very good value for the quality of service and accommodation and the availability of access to the on-site leisure facilities.
The young restaurant staff on duty at weekend breakfast times were particularly impressive - very refreshing, well done!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
JABowater, PA to GM at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Reviewed 23 February 2013

I stayed here in November and I have to say I was not very happy.

Room: dire need of refurb

Service: needs a definite looking into from the point of view of management, not one member of staff came through as knowledgeable

Location: outstanding if you drive

Price: a bit expensive

Temperature: Very cold all through the stay especially in the public areas.

Given the wide array of hotels in the area, I would not stay again. I was surprised to see that this hotel is not a franchise, I would have expected the Intercontinental group to keep their hotels in better nick.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank matuu

Reviewed 23 February 2013

My colleagues and I booked this hotel as our usual ones in Birmingham city centre were booked up due to a NEC event. We upgrated on booking to executive rooms.
On check-in we were asked if we would like to book for dinner as the restaurant was busy that evening, as we were late checking in we agreed to reserve a table for 8pm.
When we put our luggage into our rooms we were all disgusted with the level of cleanliness and decor in the rooms, whilst the rooms did look like the photographs promoting executive rooms in the hotel they were dated and shabby. The skirting boards were chipped and dusty and the bathroom sanitary wear was yellow due to its age and presumably repeated cleaning.
All our rooms were the same, one even included cobwebs across the door frame, so my room was certainly not a one off.
When we went down to dinner the restaurant, was not busy, but we had to wait over 10 minutes for the waitress to come to our table, we were given menus and asked if we would like a drink. We selected a bottle of red wine, after 5 minutes the waitress returned and said that particular bottle was out of stock but they did have a special for £18.00, we declined and chose another bottle, again the same response, after a further two attempts we finally agreed to the 'special' but agreed with the restaurant manager this would be free of charge as none of our choices were avaialble.
Once the food arrived, it was mediocre to say the least.
After dinner we decided to have a drink in the bar, the lady was lovely and advised us that a bottle would be cheaper, we agreed. She then gave us a bottle of red wine (served from the FRIDGE!!) with three glasses, none of which were the same size or height - oh dear, not good for presentation.
Breakfast was awful and a complete shambles resembling something from the 1970's.
On check-out I was asked if my stay had been okay when I replied no and that I would respond via the feedback form the manager who was working behind reception never attempted to discuss my concerns, indeed I don't think he was interested.
On summary I will never stay at this hotel, I have stayed at many Holiday Inns and this has to be one of the worst.
The staff did try their best but due to lack of training the younger members of staff did not know how to handle customer concerns or comments, this is not their fault but a management training issue.
If you are unlucky enough to stay at this hotel, I would suggest at least eating at the pub/restaurant next door.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
4  Thank SarahLouJ

On behalf of the team at the hotel I read your comments with concern and disappointment. The kind of feedback you have provided is very useful and taken seriously in order for us to find solutions and deliver the best quality of service and hospitality to all our guests.

J Bowater

Reviewed 19 February 2013

We had booked two nights away with the family. We booked it as a mystery hotel with Superbreaks for £49 a night bed and breakfast.

The check in was slow as the receptionist was trying to locate a room for a family that 'wasn't on the system.' A friendly receptionist came and helped out. The room was pleasant. The sofa bed was made up ready. The bathroom was small and needed redecorating.

We ate in the hotel on the first night. The service was slow in the bar. The staff in the restaurant were friendly but the food was ordinary and expensive. The children eat free (main courses are expensive to compensate.) But the children buffet was cold and offered poor quality food. We had to question the bill as we were charged for the children's ice cream. The wine was overpriced (£25 for wine that you can get in a supermarket for less than a tenner.)

Breakfast was fine. The first day we were almost constantly being offered coffee top up but on the second day there was no one about to ask.

We also used the pool which was warmer on the first day but much colder on the second day. The changing area was clean and the staff were helpful and friendly.

Overall we had a lovely time. The room tended to be too warm but was comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family