“Great staff, shame about the tired hotel!”

Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The description says 'impressive marble reception'. That's about where it ends.
Whilst the staff were helpful and friendly, the single room (111) I stayed in was dark and tatty. The urgent need for a lick of paint, new furniture and a fresh carpet made it feel 'grubby' which doesn't make for a great nights sleep. Breakfast served in the room was less than appetising in its presentation ; the coffee was cold, croissants were dry and it was all delivered on a chipped, unhygienic looking tray. Needless to say - I went without breakfast!
I was there to assess the hotel for a client who regularly has visiting customers and staff. I won't be recommending it!

1  Thank Sue W
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Sue W,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. On behalf of the team at the hotel I read your comments with concern and disappointment, and offer my sincere apologies.

May I please check if you had chance to speak to a Manager on duty on that evening? If not, I would be interested to discuss this matter further with you. I would be very grateful if you would contact me via my email: gehan.eriyagama@ihg.com or call 0871 942 9009.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The Holiday Inn is in the Great Barr region of Birmingham. Its approximately 20 minutes drive to the town centre.

I found the hotel clean and comfortable, however it did have a few minus points worth mentioning which while they wont ruin your stay, are areas for the hotel to improve:

MINUS POINTS:

Rooms:

Shower area was clean but there was some noticable moulding and black marks caused by the shower and condensation. It was nearing a renovation I thought.

TV

Maybe more than 4 0r 5 channels would be good. I mean free ones

Meals

I ate Trout on my first night. I have to say that considering what I paid for £14.99 from memory, I got one slice of fish on a small bed of Mediterranean veg. Meal was tasty, but portion was small and left me hungry.

The Buffet on the first night was very poor - leftovers - although it had improved on the second night when I opted for it, although the choice of hot food wasnt that great.

Hotel

Carpets could do with a replacement along the corridors approaching the rooms.

PLUS POINTS:

Gym

I only used the gym treadmills. But they were adequate.The Gym was small but overall the health club and pool looked decent.

Room

They provided an Iron and Ironing board in the room as well as a trouser press - liked that.

Surroundings

Fairly nice

Parking - Easy

OVERALL - SUMARY

An OK Hotel. Not the best I've ever stayed in but OK. Its convenient for motorway (M6) as its literally yards off at Junction 7. Comfortable enough. Seems clean, staff were friendly enough. No major gripes but better and more substantive meals please at dinner time and please ensure buffet is fresh.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GMHIM6J7, Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear phendrixx,

On behalf of the team at the hotel I read your comments with concern and with some disappointment. The kind of feedback you have provided is very useful and taken seriously in order for us to find solutions and deliver the best quality of service and hospitality to all our guests.

I would be interested to discuss which room your were staying in so we can investigate and to discuss your stay further. Therefore, would it be possible for you to contact me via my email: akmal.shahzad@ihg.com or call 0871 942 9009.

Akmal Shahzad
Operations Manager

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here on business last week the hotel can be described as a very avrage hotel but the service can only be described as a total shambles!as a group we waited 1 hour 25 minuts for food on two consecutive nights when the food finally did arrive they had things missing off the order and to make a bad experience worse the waiter tipped a hole pint of beer in my lap with no apology or offer to clean my clothes.DO NOT STAY HERE the premier inn across the road is a much safer bet.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Malkyboy1983,

May I please check if you had chance to speak to a Manager on duty on that evening? If not, I would be interested to discuss this matter further with you. I would be very grateful if you would contact me via my email: akmal.shahzad@ihg.com or call 0871 942 9009.

Akmal Shahzad
Operations Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Decent business hotel but rooms overdue an upgrade. When asked for my opinion at checkout I said the same and the reply was, 'everyone says that'. Come on holiday inn, spend the money. I've added more words to meet min characters

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Paul M,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the relevant channels as your comments are extremely valuable to us and taken very seriously.

I do hope that we may welcome you back and if you ever plan to visit the area in the future, please would you call our Reservations Department direct on 0121 386 7016 as I am sure they will be happy to upgrade you if at all available.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My room was downstairs and the bed was tiny as was the room, not worthy of a Holiday Inn standard really. It was dated and tired.

The hotel bar was fine as was the reception area etc, I think it was just my room on this occasion. I didn't eat in the restaurant but went across the road to the Harvester which was only 5 mins walk under the subway.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bintess
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear bintess,

I read your comments with interest and of course concern. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the relevant channels.

If you are ever planning to visit the area in the future, please would you call our Reservations Department direct on 0121 386 7016 as I am sure they will be happy to try and upgrade you if at all available.

Kindest regards, Gehan Eriyagama

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel was absolutely fantastic very accommodating to mine and my dogs needs. Staff very friendly and helpful. We stayed here for the Crufts show in Birmingham and had a fab time with a comfortable stay. Even when it was time to depart early the last morning the boys on reception went out of their way to grab us an early breakfast and coffee for our journey. Just what we needed for our journey back to the airport. Thankyou for a great stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Jexplore321,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that the staff were able to give great service. I will ensure that a copy of your review is displayed for the staff to see, especially those mentioned in order that they are aware of your comments, as I am sure they will be greatly encouraged.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here to see Russell Howard at the NEC. Great location for it only 20 mins away along with a 15 min drive to the city centre for some shopping.

The hotel was great very nice looking reception with pleasant staff on the desk. Room was great. Nice and clean with a comfy bed and a choice if pillow firmness on request! Overall a great place to stay. Swimming pool seemed extremely popular with people as lot of people were talking about it!

Guy on the night shift letting us in after coming in late was extremely pleasant. :)

Overall a great place to stay. :)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear James W,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your kind comments.

I was very pleased that the team were able to offer you to service that we hope for all our guests to receive. Your feedback is very helpful and will be communicated to the team, especially those mentioned.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Kind regards,