“Not great, needs a refurb and some staff training”

Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7
Ranked #77 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester UK
“Not great, needs a refurb and some staff training”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Well its an old property which is in great need of a renovation, especially the rooms. Saying that it was reasonably clean and they do have aircon.

There is an upselling push at check in for dinner reservations which I don't mind but I was told by the receptionist that they expected the restaurant to be exceptionally busy that night. So I did book, to find the place less than 1/4 full all evening.

Please don't lie!

Restaurant food was generally underwhelming, reheated (badly) food service fayre. The restaurant staff started by being crazily over attentive, offering me the buffet (which I didnt want) 5 times! Then when I needed the bill they ignored me. Need some training there.

Anyway, OK for an overnighter if you are desperate but I wouldn't put my clients there. Not a great choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Marraminga,

Thank you for raising your review following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

On behalf of the team at the hotel I read your comments with interest and offer my sincere apologies.

May I please check if you had chance to speak to a Manager on duty on that evening? If not, I would be interested to discuss this matter further with you. I would be very grateful if you would contact me via my email: gehan.eriyagama@ihg.com or call 0871 942 9009.

Gehan Eriyagama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Jct 7 for a one night stay after visiting Cadbury World, apprehensive after reading the other reviews on Trip Advisor, thinking they can't all be true, well unfortunately they were. We checked in and got a sarchastic comment about how much we had paid for the room, and told we cannot give you an alarm call, we had a power cut yesterday and the computer doesn't know what time it is, surely someone could have reset it, not a worry the mobile has an alarm, would you like a paper, no worries we'll have one. Given rough directions to the room and we trekked along corridor after corridor to find the room. The room itself was tired, very tired indeed, with numerous unidentifiable stains on the carpet and furniture, the tub chair I would say would keep a forensic scientist excited for at least a week, it was covered in stains and marks. We went to the swimming pool and yes it is very cloudy indeed (not an oxygenation problem as described but definately chemical!!) The changing rooms were disgusting, dirty towels overflowing everywhere, litter it was horrible!! After our swim we went to eat in Traders, the food was the saving grace for the hotel, it was hot, tasty and well presented, well done chef!! The dirty stained furniture however was a different story. Breakfast the next morning was hit and miss, the pancake machine which my daughter had been looking forward to using (as in other Holiday Inns we have stopped in) had been removed, with staff saying it had run out, and the toaster had shown signs of having been on fire with charring near the part you put the bread in, the coffee was stewed and tasted bitter, and the hot food was the last they were going to put out by the looks of it, I did not see it being replenished. On checking out the young female receptionist got our bill wrong and when we asked about our paper we got told its on the end of the counter, we dont take them to the rooms at weekends, our usual customers that are drunk take them away!! One bonus was we avoided the four coach trips that were in I suppose. Not the Holiday Inn experience I have had in the past or expect, the hotel is an old Forte Posthouse, but so are most of the others I have stayed in and they are clean, tidy, maintained, but most of all loved and invested in. I cannot say the same for this particular hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank katysdaddy
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Katsdaddy,

On behalf of the team at the hotel I read your comments with concern and disappointment, and offer my sincere apologies.

Gehan Eriyagama

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Hotel with a party from National Holidays. The check in was very efficient and we received our pass key from a pleasant young lady who came on the bus.The room was excellent spotlessly clean and quite spacious. The evening meal was very good with sufficient choices to suit most appetites.Breakfast was excellent Buffet style ample variety for the most discerning. The service throughout our stay was first rate and I would not hesitate to return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Kath H

Thank your for taking the time to give your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I was pleased that you had an enjoyable time and I am grateful for your kind comments which will be helpful to other guests considering our hotel and also for the staff. I will ensure that the team are aware of your review.

I hope we are able to welcome you back very soon.

Kindest regards
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Family stop over on a Friday night after a visit to Coventry for the day. Met by friendly reception staff who showed professionalism and smartness in their positions. Our family room was ready on arrival at 3.20pm. The room was very clean and comfortable.
We used the Spa and pool available to us. The whole family enjoyed the amenities, although the Jacuzzi water had way too much chlorine in it.
We had a dinner and breakfast package included with our room. Our dinner experience was excellent. Staff very tentative, great service and the food was superb. The only complain I have is how expensive the soft drinks were for the younger members of the family. Quite a shock when checking out.
We all had an amazing sleep and greatly enjoyed the breakfast the next day. One of the best hotel breakfast I have had in a while.
Checking out was easy, although the soft drink charges were a shock.
Every member of staff were polite, friendly and helpful.
Would without doubt stay at this location again. Would even drive the extra miles when up in the Midlands to stay specifically at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Dean F,

Thank you for taking the time to give your kind and thorough review of the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

Your feedback is key if we are going to get to know our guests well and deliver the service they deserve. I am very proud of the team here and I will ensure that they see your comments as they will find them encouraging. I hope to see you again in the near future.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel and will defiantly be returning.

Room was great, food good and staff lovely.

In particular the man behind the bar who was really nice and helpful and the duty manager and first aider who came to my room when my son trapped his finger and were really kind

Thank you for a wonderful stay and we hope to see you again soon (minus the accident !)

• Stayed May 2014
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Lj060778,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your kind comments on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased that the team were able to offer you the service that we hope for all our guests to receive. Your information is very valuable and useful to us and will be communicated to the team, especially those mentioned.

We hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Newark upon Trent, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed there one night. I payed cash and the guy in the reception asked me to pay 50 pounds deposit in a very demanding way. We went to the restaurant just after 11PM and we were told that they wont serve us any food but luckily, the guy behind bar was doing his job in a very professional manner and sort us out, he was like born for customer service, polite and helpful. Is not free WI FI in the rooms and the prices you need to pay for 24 hours access is just extortion. It was probably a wedding party and all the hall ways were stuffed with loud drunk people. Room quality was more than better for that price, clean, with a nice ventilation system, good quality furniture, toiletries and coffee. Good value for the money we've paid!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hi Christian M,

Thank you for taking the time to give your thorough feedback following your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Birmingham M6 J7.

I was pleased that generally you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure that your comments are communicated to the team as it is very useful to us.

I do hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest regards, Gehan Eriyagama, General Manager
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on our way to Cadbury World. We had a family room with king sized bed plus sofa bed and whilst not a huge room, there was enough space for two adults and two children, The bathroom was quite small but adequate. Beds were really comfortable and we all had a fabulous night's sleep. We ate dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the food was very nice, with a good choice of food. The swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna were adequate for the size of the hotel. By far the best thing about this hotel was the staff - without exception they were friendly and welcoming, and were great with our grandchildren, taking the time to speak to them and always smiling. There was a wedding on at the hotel, but we hardly knew it. Service to us was excellent, and that doesn't always happen in a hotel if they have a function to deal with. Would definitely recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 11Jilly
GMHIM6J7, General Manager at Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct. 7, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear 11Jilly,

I was pleased that you had a great time and I am grateful for your kind comments which will be helpful to other guests considering our hotel and also for the staff. I will ensure that the team are aware of your review as they will find your information encouraging.

I hope we are able to welcome you back very soon.

Kindest regards