“A very nice hotel”

Best Western Westley Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife & I stayed at this hotel 21st September for a weekend break as we visited family in Birmingham for the weekend. We've stayed in this hotel twice before, indeed the 1st time was our wedding night as we held our wedding reception here back in 2010 so we have fond memories. The hotel is very nice, pleasant reception staff who were very welcoming. When we went to check in (we'd booked the hotel through an offer on Superbreak) we were told that are reservation wasn't showing; fortunately I'd had printed off the booking details before we left out so they were more than happy to sort us out. Our room was a large room with a comfortable roomy double bed, and it also had a single bed too which was a surprise. The bathroom was clean although it wasn't large. There is also a desk with a wired internet access point so that you could get online, I didn't ask if there was wifi available. our room (Room 12) we were told was above the function room that held a wedding reception & we were warned that we may hear some noise, however this was not the case. The only complaint I could have about the room is the lack of air conditioning (it was a warm day), however there was a fan in the wardrobe that was available to use (although we didn't use it).

The pub was lively, the bartenders very friendly & the drinks reasonably priced, however the choice of food available was slightly limited compared to other pubs with food chains. You can choose to have a carvery in the restaurant if you prefer. We had breakfast the next morning which was great, all you can eat self service (bad if you're on a diet!), couldn't be faulted.

Would I recommend people to use this hotel? Yes, wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichyBig
Phil R, General Manager at Best Western Westley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel

It is great to read that you have again enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again

Apologies for the initial confusion with your reservation I am please to see it did not inconvenience your stay too much

Regards

Phil Rea

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed the night on our way elsewhere and were very very pleased with the hotel overall. The staff, in particular the charming, attentive, gracious Holly in the dining room, were friendly and accommodating, the room was well- equipped and clean, the bar was comfortable and welcoming and the food fresh and well prepared. All in all excellent value and highly recommended. Well done the Westley.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your very king observations of both our hotel and our team

We all regularly read what our guests have to say and very much appreciate your comments

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back

Regards

Phil Rea

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed Friday & Saturday night. Staff once again were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Room was spotless and well equiped. There was a wedding on both nights but this didn't affect our stay at all. Breakfast was great, everything you could want, we dined there on Saturday, again our food was top class. Girls in the restaurant are really friendly & helpful. We have stayed here three times now and will definitely be back.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I was visiting this hotel with my wife, two young daughters, mother and grandmother to attend a family function. Upon arrival we were greeted by a young receptionist lady that was very nice and welcomed us to the hotel and was very pleasant. As we were in a family room we were not staying in the main building but the adjacent town house building. She proceeded to leave reception and personally guide us to the room. Nice start to the weekend! When we entered the room , we found it to be very roomy with a more traditional theme as opposed to the main building. With dark wooden furniture pieces and heavy drapery around the windows. It was all very pleasant and not old fashioned. I personally like both modern and classic. The first thing that hit you though was the heavily stained carpet. It was a pale green colour and it had what looked like huge brownish tea coloured stains all over it.

As we generally make the best of things, then this was by no means an issue on its own. We proceeded to get ready for the party and joined the rest of the family in the main buildings function room. We enjoyed the party as we were with extended family that we rarely see but a few things were notably wrong. The whole ambiance was somewhat questionable due to very bright lighting throughout the whole night. The buffet was shocking to say the least. I had heard through the family grapevine that it cost £11.00 per head and consisted of 5 different triangle sandwich options, quiche and fish fingers with a tarter sauce dip. (I must state that the costs were given to me second hand so I invite management to clarify).

All in all a good night because of the company. I must say that the bar staff were great in the function room. We had some great banter and were very good at their jobs. After retiring from the party myself, my wife and my girls were famished as we had not eaten prior to the shocking buffet. We got ready to settle in for the night and decided to order room service. We decided what we were having ( 3 sandwich selections) and I proceeded to dial 0. For the next 20 mins after repeated attempts no answer was happening. I gave a few more attempts taking into consideration that they might be busy cleaning up after the function but no one was manning this 24 hour reception. I then though maybe it was an issue with internal phone lines and thought I would dial outside and ring the main number of the hotel. Again this rang and rang for a further 8 or 9 mins. I hung up then I gave it one last shot as we were all starving. Finally an answer came. I proceeded to say in a joking manner that we had been calling for the last half an hour. The person on the other end exclaimed: " No you haven't" and then complete silence. Anyway as we were hungry , we just wanted some room service. We ordered the sandwiches that took in excess of 50 mins and were very rudely and abruptly dumped on us with not so much as a smile or even eye contact. We daren't even ask for condiments.

Despite the previous evening breakfast was a more pleasant experience with a buffet style OK setup. Nothing special but nothing below par for a three star. I must point out that the more mature lady that was working was a credit to the hotel and was notably efficient, courteous and always had a smile. She singly made the breakfast experience better.

I would also like to touch on an alarming matter that has happened since leaving the hotel. As previously mentioned I had my mother and grandmother with me, whom stayed in a room in the main building. To cut a long story short they had been charged twice on their card for their room. My grandmother proceeded to call the hotel to remedy this obvious mistake (which in itself was not a major issue as mistakes often happen) but the response that she got was truly not becoming of a business that through their advertising, promises so much. Very rude, un accommodating, not one assurance of assistance and an argumentative manner. The hotel has since been proved very wrong but my grandmother still awaits her excess charges to be reimbursed.

I would like to say that I very rarely speak out on these forums (whether that's good or bad) but this experience compelled me to do so. I would also like to say that the staff there that were good were very good and it is a shame that one or two members of staff dominate the overall feel of the review. I would like to thank the above mentioned good ones and I'm sorry that your hotels overall rating has been dragged down by a couple of people. A job for management. to explore. Room for improvement.

Room Tip: If you like more modern themes then stay in the main building.
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Over the years I have visited the Westley many times for Weddings, functions and also to have a drink. I personally am very fond of this place due to the friendly Staff and the fact you can sit down in pleasant surroundings and have a quiet relaxing drink. Because it charges a little more than the local pubs you tend to find this keeps out the trouble makers. I have also spent quite a few enjoyable New Years Eve's at the Westley which myself, my partner and family have always enjoyed. In fact this is the only place when I take my partner out that I would go to in Acocks Green as it's a better class than the other local pubs in the area and also well ran!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We needed a room for the night to visit family nearby and a night at the Westley became available on Groupon for £30 which was a great deal. This did not include breakfast but we were offered to have breakfast added for another £5 eaqch when we booked in, which again was very reasonable. We weren't able to have breakfast because of family commitments.
We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Overall the hotel felt dark and drab, clearly money had been spent on the reception areas but whether we were given one of their 'lack lustre rooms' owing to only paying £30 we don't know. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall in the bedroom area and the room generally needed some refreshing. Having said that the linen was clean and the beds (twins) were okay. The room overlooked the car park at the back of the hotel and also tis meant the entrance to the bar so the noise of cars, motorbikes and people coming and going was quite intrusive up until 1.30am. It was a very warm night so the window was wide open.
Between 1.30am and 7.30am it was peaceful. The bathroom was clean and in good order with amazing water pressure in the shower that was so strong it moved the shower head up.
We would stay there again but request a better room.

Room Tip: If staying in warm weather maybe ask for a room away from the bar and banquetting room, perhaps the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We were in a party of 24 to celebrate my father's 80th birthday. The food was of an excellent standard for a carvery and certainly plenty of choice for starters and desserts. The service was also very good and a few of the guests had specific requests and these were certainly taken care of. I would highly recommend the restaurant and I know that a few guests did stay overnight and were highly impressed. Would not hesitate in booking meal here and will be back soon