“I surely want recommend”

Awentsbury Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #105 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Oslo, Norway
“I surely want recommend”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I do not agree with previous reviews. The place is old bur very charming and quiet. Easy to get to town by bus and only a few minutes from the University (Edgbaston Campus). Very convenient for me, since I attended a conference there. Breakfast is very good, included in price, and the owner very kind. Room and bathroom are of old style, but clean. It is worth a visit for a couple of days or so. Simple standard but good balance quality/price.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank elisabetta c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The centre of Birmingham is a building site as of Autumn 2012. A 15-minute bus ride (£1.90) and I was in a room overlooking greenery and a Victorian church. When I settled in with a cup of tea there was birdsong outside.

Flat screen TV with multi-channel freeview; I spent an hour in the morning on good quality wifi.

University easy walking distance- including the Barber Institute, one of Britain's "unknown" art galleries- and free. Recommend the Coffee bar first floor students union.

The price of the Awentsbury reflects the fact that it is not massively replumbed for ensuite etc (which often means a tiny shower and weird-shaped room.)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank CeredigionCymru
Oviedo, Spain
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Awentsbury hotel is a good choice for a short stay in Birmingham. Its personal will attend you, no problem. Breakfast is very good and the surroundings are quiet and pleasant.
Its location is also very good: very close to the university (Edgbaston Campus) and to
bus stops and train stations.
Its parking area is more than sufficient.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Antonio M
Stockton-on-tees
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Just arrived back from a stay at this hotel. Which I can only describe as the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.The bedding was stained previous users. There was pubic hair in the bathroom sink and the SHARED bathroom facilities were so poor we were left with no alternative to drive straight home the next morning without showering.
We paid an extra 5 pound each for a "full English breakfast" which reflected the hotels quality and standard.
We will never return to this hotel, as it was the worst place imaginable, "hell on earth"!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charlotte C

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Well, this was our second stay at Awentsbury which itself tells you something. It's certainly not great but we don't find it nearly as awful as some reviews describe. The main advantage is it's pleasant residential location close to Uni and our son's place in Selly Oak. Yes, the room fittings and furnishings are on the old side and it can be noisy with slamming door springs and creaking floors but we've found it comfortable and the breakfasts fine.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Peter F
New York
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The house is quaint, the rooms - well my room - spartan but perfectly adequate. Breakfast is traditional but very good and consistently so. The Wifi service is iffy at best, practically non existent in individual rooms. The location is good if you're at the university; otherwise, a car is a must. About 25-30 pounds to airport in taxi. On first evening, when I couldn't get the wifi to work and the person who was there (not easily available, but it is a B&B) was of no help. So I asked if I couldn't place a call to the US, just a couple minutes, to reassure my husband that I'd arrived safely. The person was quite unsure about this, how would she know how to charge me... In the end, she let me make the call, stood over me during the 2 minutes I was on the phone, and when I received my credit card statement a couple weeks later, I saw she'd charged me the equivalent of $25 US for that 2-minute phone call. (By the way, the wifi problem was a simple one; another guest helped me with the following morning.)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank coqgaulois
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We had travelled from Hastings to Nottingham at 4.00 that morning and then after being at Nottingham University Open Day all day, we then travelled down to Birmingham to book into the Awentsbury Hotel. Imagine my distress, when, tired, hungry and extremely tense from having to do hundreds of miles of driving in one day, I discovered that although we were booked in to stay for two nights, someone had double-booked our room, and we were therefore told that we couldn't have the ensuite twin for two nights - if we wanted to stay a further night, we would have to decamp to another room with a shared bathroom across the hall. I need to be near a loo at night so it was not at all suitable for me to contemplate a shared bathroom/toilet across the way. Imagine further my disappointment when shown to the (tiny) twin room, to find it was tatty, tired, the beds cheap and old, and the en-suite facilities positively MICROSCOPIC (well at least it had a toilet which of course was my main concern but it was no more than a tiny cupboard!). I had also booked a separate single room and this didn't have breakfast included in the price (don't understand their pricing policy and as a gesture of goodwill, the manager could have included the breakfast in the price, but failed to do so).

I just can't describe how weary and old and creaky this poor old house was. You could hear everyone in every room creaking around above us, next to us, across the way from us.

Having said all this, for both the ensuite twin and the single room we paid £97 at a time when I guess they could charge a premium rate (it being Open Day at the University and the hotel being very close to the university). Furthermore the mother and daughter who served and cooked the breakfasts were very pleasant, and friendly, and the breakfast was very tasty.

Needless to say. however, we didn't stay a second night and I had to bite the bullet and drive all the way back to Hastings that evening after spending a whole day on my feet touring round Birmingham University Open Day with my daughter and husband.

Please consider a serious overhaul of the rooms and the decor, Awentsbury!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family