“5 Days in a prison cell !!”

Awentsbury Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #105 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Weston, United Kingdom
“5 Days in a prison cell !!”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I turned up on a wet Sunday night after a 4 hour drive, I was met by the owner who seemed to be on a different planet, the room I was assigned was smaller than a prison cell, I had requested an on suite bathroom, which wasn't obvious to start, only after you opened a bi-fold door was the sink in front of you, toilet to the left, shower to the right, I must say though, this was the only good point of the stay, a good shower. There was not an area to sit down stairs in the evening, your room (cell) or nothing ! The single bed was uncomfortable and the rooms were noisy. Worst week of my life.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank David13bun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely stay. Very comfy bed. Great price. Man at reception lovely. Woman at bfast however. Attitude stinks! We paid £18 for 3 full bfst (sausage,egg,tomato,beans & egg). My sister & I only wanted 3 items of bfast menu and I asked for an extra egg. The woman muttered 'we dont usually do that' in which I immediately replied 'sorry?' She shrugged it off and I got my egg. Im sorry but if im paying £6 for 3 items I think I can take my sisters egg on my plate! There was a woman and 2 children sitting beside us. Woman ordered 3 full bfasts in which the woman asked twice 'will they eat it all?' Ridiculous!! Who cares! Believe it or not.... both childrens bfast were missing a sausage and the mum looked terribly angry in which she had a right to be! I counted 6 glasses available for juice and there were at least 12 of us. My other friend asked for a glass and the woman muttered 'yes ill have to clean some' advice..... put 12 glasses out! Simple. After a lovely stay this really ruined our visit. Only complaint I have

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank clairebecca
Birmingham
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed at The Awenstbury to visit the University and the Bullring for some shopping. The hotel is in beautiful surroundings next to a church in a very peaceful neighbourhood. The room was simple but very clean and the bed comfortable. The hotel was a little old fashioned however this is to my taste as I get bored of bland hotels with no personality so this was perfect. I had to travel into the centre one day of my stay and the young manager was particularly helpful in advising on transport and later recommending places to eat locally. Breakfast was always fairly quick and very tasty with a full English, cereals, toast, juices and yogurts on offer. An enjoyable stay and I will be back for my next trip, would recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Wendy B
Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2013

When we first arrived at this hotel, I thought booking.com must have had an error in its database and we had accidentally booked a hotel that had been closed down. The overgrown shabby garden the dilapidated garages and firmly locked front door were all suggestive of abandonment. However, on noticing the large box of Kellogg’s cornflakes in a window, I suspected that the hotel may have life within. We rang the doorbell, and after a few minutes the door slowly creaked open to reveal the scowling, unwelcoming face of the proprietor. Despite the fact that I’m a professional, middle-aged woman I was viewed from the beginning as fitting the profile for a potential scumbag. She eyed me with suspicion and directly challenged the unbooked presence of my son and his girlfriend who had come in with me to carry my bags. To my surprise I was asked to pay immediately for the room without even seeing it. I refused to do so. When we saw the room, it was such disappointment due to its poor décor and threadbare towels. However, the worst horror that was no en-suite and only one tatty shower-room existed for the entire floor. However, I had come down to attend a hospital appointment with my son, was already stressed, and decided I had little choice but to stay. I spent a restless and miserable night not helped by the paper thin curtains. As we had been told to dump keys in the morning on the table it was already made clear that no-one would be around to hear complaints. The only good thing I could say about this hotel is the excellent location which is very convenient to both the Queen Elizabeth and the University. With a big revamp and new management with some hint of social skills it could be a charming little gem. However, I cannot recommend this hotel under the present management and will not stay again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Petesdragonbridge

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at the Awentsbury. I'm the kind of person who needs a bed, a shower, somewhere to make a hot drink and close proximity to the University. The Awentsbury is perfect in this respect, although there is only one communal shower for the standard rooms (but I tend to get in early-so not a problem!), and I can be in the heart of the university within 15 minutes.

This place is great.

Never had a breakfast there, there are loads are places in the local area to grab a breakfast, so cant recommend either way.

But i have never had a bad nights sleep, and will continue to use this hotel into the future!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RichB-eee
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I do not agree with previous reviews. The place is old bur very charming and quiet. Easy to get to town by bus and only a few minutes from the University (Edgbaston Campus). Very convenient for me, since I attended a conference there. Breakfast is very good, included in price, and the owner very kind. Room and bathroom are of old style, but clean. It is worth a visit for a couple of days or so. Simple standard but good balance quality/price.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank elisabetta c
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The centre of Birmingham is a building site as of Autumn 2012. A 15-minute bus ride (£1.90) and I was in a room overlooking greenery and a Victorian church. When I settled in with a cup of tea there was birdsong outside.

Flat screen TV with multi-channel freeview; I spent an hour in the morning on good quality wifi.

University easy walking distance- including the Barber Institute, one of Britain's "unknown" art galleries- and free. Recommend the Coffee bar first floor students union.

The price of the Awentsbury reflects the fact that it is not massively replumbed for ensuite etc (which often means a tiny shower and weird-shaped room.)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo