Awentsbury Hotel Birmingham
US$62
US$51
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Bloc Hotel Birmingham(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$52
Priceline
US$70
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvictorian charmeasy walking distancepleasant staycouple of nightsedgbaston
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We booked the Awentsbury to be near to our student daughter living in Selly Oak - and the location was great for that. However, that was as good as it got.

We arrived at 10pm having phoned ahead, to find the porch door open but no doorbell evident. Several fruitless attempts at knocking on the door before a helpful chap smoking outside pointed out the bell - the door was then answered by a woman who demanded to know whether the porch door had been open and when told yes, announced it should not have been. Having asked for payment in advance (to which we do not object) we were given the key to our room.

On opening the room, apart from the basic decor (think chip wallpaper thickly painted in white gloss), we were immediately struck by a strong smell of damp/mould. The en suite shower-room (behind a bi-fold door and about as big as a cupboard) proved to be the source - and added a goodly whiff of drains to the overall smell. The ancient shower cubicle was mouldy and grubby as was the paintwork. Given the lateness and the knowledge that we would be unlikely to find anywhere else we settled down for the night with the en suite doors firmly closed and the bedroom window open. Surprisingly, the twinbeds were comfortable and warm though the bedding tired and very faded.

According to the menu on each table, breakfast apparently offered a choice of cereals or porridge - though when I asked for the porridge I was informed by the above woman there was none left - no apology. Breakfast was well cooked and otherwise perfectly satisfactory.

We paid £70 for the twin room and breakfast - and clearly don't expect a modest B&B to offer the same facilities as a modern hotel. However, at no point during our stay were we given a friendly welcome or even treated to a smile - the woman we encountered even managed to convey in some way that it was our fault the porch door had been left open and that there was no porridge!

We decided to stay over in Birmingham for a further night - and I think it says it all that we opted to stay in our daughter's room in her student house rather than try to book another night at the Awentsbury Hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sal53
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I turned up on a wet Sunday night after a 4 hour drive, I was met by the owner who seemed to be on a different planet, the room I was assigned was smaller than a prison cell, I had requested an on suite bathroom, which wasn't obvious to start, only after you opened a bi-fold door was the sink in front of you, toilet to the left, shower to the right, I must say though, this was the only good point of the stay, a good shower. There was not an area to sit down stairs in the evening, your room (cell) or nothing ! The single bed was uncomfortable and the rooms were noisy. Worst week of my life.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank David13bun
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely stay. Very comfy bed. Great price. Man at reception lovely. Woman at bfast however. Attitude stinks! We paid £18 for 3 full bfst (sausage,egg,tomato,beans & egg). My sister & I only wanted 3 items of bfast menu and I asked for an extra egg. The woman muttered 'we dont usually do that' in which I immediately replied 'sorry?' She shrugged it off and I got my egg. Im sorry but if im paying £6 for 3 items I think I can take my sisters egg on my plate! There was a woman and 2 children sitting beside us. Woman ordered 3 full bfasts in which the woman asked twice 'will they eat it all?' Ridiculous!! Who cares! Believe it or not.... both childrens bfast were missing a sausage and the mum looked terribly angry in which she had a right to be! I counted 6 glasses available for juice and there were at least 12 of us. My other friend asked for a glass and the woman muttered 'yes ill have to clean some' advice..... put 12 glasses out! Simple. After a lovely stay this really ruined our visit. Only complaint I have

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank clairebecca
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I stayed at The Awenstbury to visit the University and the Bullring for some shopping. The hotel is in beautiful surroundings next to a church in a very peaceful neighbourhood. The room was simple but very clean and the bed comfortable. The hotel was a little old fashioned however this is to my taste as I get bored of bland hotels with no personality so this was perfect. I had to travel into the centre one day of my stay and the young manager was particularly helpful in advising on transport and later recommending places to eat locally. Breakfast was always fairly quick and very tasty with a full English, cereals, toast, juices and yogurts on offer. An enjoyable stay and I will be back for my next trip, would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Wendy B
Reviewed 21 April 2013

When we first arrived at this hotel, I thought booking.com must have had an error in its database and we had accidentally booked a hotel that had been closed down. The overgrown shabby garden the dilapidated garages and firmly locked front door were all suggestive of abandonment. However, on noticing the large box of Kellogg’s cornflakes in a window, I suspected that the hotel may have life within. We rang the doorbell, and after a few minutes the door slowly creaked open to reveal the scowling, unwelcoming face of the proprietor. Despite the fact that I’m a professional, middle-aged woman I was viewed from the beginning as fitting the profile for a potential scumbag. She eyed me with suspicion and directly challenged the unbooked presence of my son and his girlfriend who had come in with me to carry my bags. To my surprise I was asked to pay immediately for the room without even seeing it. I refused to do so. When we saw the room, it was such disappointment due to its poor décor and threadbare towels. However, the worst horror that was no en-suite and only one tatty shower-room existed for the entire floor. However, I had come down to attend a hospital appointment with my son, was already stressed, and decided I had little choice but to stay. I spent a restless and miserable night not helped by the paper thin curtains. As we had been told to dump keys in the morning on the table it was already made clear that no-one would be around to hear complaints. The only good thing I could say about this hotel is the excellent location which is very convenient to both the Queen Elizabeth and the University. With a big revamp and new management with some hint of social skills it could be a charming little gem. However, I cannot recommend this hotel under the present management and will not stay again.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family