“What more to expect for £29?”

Awentsbury Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #105 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Oxford
“What more to expect for £29?”
Reviewed 29 October 2009

If you're looking for something cheap and clean close to the Edgbaston University campus look no further! I've paid £29 for a room with a comfy bed, a sink, a kettle, a TV and free Wi-fi. Shower and toilet are just a few steps down the corridor and well kept (don't take a single room with shower, it's very crammed!). Shower is a bit weak-ish but that seems to be a UK trademark! Breakfast is ok, nothing more nothing less. Some might find the fact that it's an old house with old furniture and old carpets off-putting, I found it rather charming!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank 10629

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I stayed at the Awentsbury "hotel" for a government science course for the week and felt completely unwelcome, in the way and at times down right furious. The owners of the Awentsbury act as if you are putting them out with almost any request (e.g. wireless internet key, TV problems, wake up calls), begging the question why they bother to run a hotel since they seem to be so irritated by customers. I was alone for my course and didn't really fancy my safety in the Selly Oak area at night, plus I don't like eating in restaurants alone, so I thought I would order in a take-away. The female owner asked me why don't I have a larger lunch, buy sandwiches elsewhere and said that I would make a mess of the place if I ate there. Brilliantly, she communicated these comments to her daughter while standing in front of me "I don't want her eating here!" etc., instead of actually talking to me, which was appalling. Finally, hilariously, the kitchen dining room was often a bit dirty (e.g. dirty napkins put back on the table), and I didn't make a mess with my take-away....
I really would not stay here again, ever.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Norwich
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Where do I start!

On arrival it took a good 15 minutes to get anybones attention, to the point I was tempted to call them from the sad excuse of a reception. Having booked 6 months previous and confirming our 2 double rooms on a 2 night stay 1 week before arrival I didn't expect anything to go wrong. That said we were only booked in for 1 night. (Un)fortunately different rooms were available for the second night so no big deal.

The first room consisted of 2 reasonable single beds, one dilapidated shower and a 1970s pink plastic vanity case and matching sink with NO toilet. All of this incased in one grubby little room. One of the shower walls was actually coming away leaving brickwork... lovely! The posted photo's really do speak for themselves.

Thinking things couldn't get any worse we moved to the next room! This was a small room with 2 beds, 1 sink, no toilet, and no shower. One bed had a beam running across the pillow area, and the other a small window with no curtains. On getting into bed one of the springs went, much to the others amusement! To make matters worse still the 5 rooms on that floor had to share 1 toilet and 1 bath/shower which can only be described as rancid. Once again the pictures speak for themselves.

The staff were not unpleasant but vacant in the brain department. If you have seen the league of gentlemen I could only describe them as 'very local'!

Breakfast was adequate. Possibly the best part of the stay, which incidentally doesn't make it great!

Basically don't even think about staying there, but the photo's are worth looking at for a laugh! The best part of the stay was going home. Checking out was just as difficult as checking in.

Luckily as a group of 4 lads we did see the funny side! Definately not one for couples.

There is a Premier Inn about 1 mile up the road. I will be checking that out on my next stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Greensteven
Ireland
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Where to begin with this hotel.Booked a double bed got 2 single beds.Booked it for convenience as it is advertised as being close to city centre/nia where i was going for a concert.Its about 8 miles outside city and about the same to nia so it cost a fortune on taxies.Its totally out of the way.Went to have a shower after i arrived and couldnt even stand under the shower as ceiling was coming down over the bath and there wasnt a drop of hot water in the taps.There was a tele in the room with only 1 chanell on it.There was a beam right over my head in the bed i was in which i nearly hit off.Also could hear people in next door room so couldnt get any sleep.Supposed to stay there for 3 nights checked out after 1.It was a nightmare wouldnt let my dog stay there.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seangilmartin1
Reading
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Very dated hotel, noisy room, basic/dated facilities, very little options at breakfast, a trip back to the 1970's

Stayed September 2008
plymouth
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I enjoyed my stay and the location was good. Breakfast was poor and service not very good.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business