“Unseated” 2 of 5 bubbles

New Alexandra Theatre
Ranked #40 of 275 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The New Alexandra Theatre, commonly known as the Alex, is a theatre on Station Street in Birmingham, England.The theatre currently seats 1,371 and hosts a busy programme of touring drama, West End shows and stand-up comedy. It was the home of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company between 1990 and 1997. In January 2006 the Alexandra Theatre changed management once again, to be managed by Live Nation, a company that specialised in concert promotion and large venue operations. It is now owned by the Ambassador Theatre Group, and after a minor refurbishment the group renamed the theatre the New Alexandra Theatre.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
285 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Unseated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Crikey we have been going to the Alex since we were 16...(now 64) and they have the same seats still......these last 12 years they have destroyed my back and I have taken a cushion for the last 3 years.......................It is a really lovely theatre and we love to support it but......we have had our last visit until the seats are renewed......my back has had enough.

4 Thank Andy K

Birmingham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“South Pacific”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I managed to get front row tickets, unfortunately we wish we hadn't.
If this had been a amatuer dramatic show it would have been ok.
The only hi-light in the show was the character of Emile De Becque would stood out a mile compared to the rest of the cast, who were average to say the lease.

Lincolnshire UK
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Risk of DVT in Grand Upper Circle”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

When people of average or less than average dimensions are having difficulties getting comfortable with no space to put their feet then it does not auger well for a chap of 6'5" with size 12 feet. At least I am slim build so that was one challenge less. I have never bonded so much with neighbouring theatre-goers as we shared our discomforts. Small seats, no foot space, worn arms, some with exposed wood where the padding used to be, sticky floor. A shoddy experience in "Grand" Upper Circle seats H16 - 18. There are warnings when booking about the steep incline but the risk of a deep vein thrombosis needs to be highlighted too. Especially for those faced with a long drive home afterwards (best part of three hours). Close to giving a terrible rating but parking was straightforward in The Mailbox, staff were generally friendly and Penn & Teller were utterly amazing.

2 Thank pjlincs
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“West Side Story”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I have only been to this theatre once which was to see West Side Story in April. We were sat in the Upper Grand Circle in the first two seats in the front row, and the view was awful! We missed a significant section of whatever was happening stage right, where quite a lot happened actually. Also, I was very disappointed with the show which, I believe, was hyped up too much and couldn't live up to the movie. However, the customer service is excellent and the staff are very friendly and helpful!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank alexl437_12
Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Box Office”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I went to see Rock of Ages with my girlfriend and the customer service at the box office was disgusting. We got served by some guy named Matthew who had a right attitude problem when it came to sorting our tickets out. Customer service skills of this guy certainly wasn't his forte! Won't be coming back.

Visited May 2014