“Fantastic conservation, lovely penguins.”

National Sea Life Centre
Ranked #25 of 280 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive and be wowed by the many strange, beautiful and fascinating creatures of the deep as you journey through the amazing underwater world of The National SEA LIFE Centre Brimingham. Prepare for astonishing close views of everything from humble starfish to tropical sharks. To get any closer you'll have to get wet!
Manchester, United Kingdom
180 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Fantastic conservation, lovely penguins.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This has a lovely atmosphere, I like the walkway above the entrance, it gives the place a bigger feel. The penguin area is nicer than the London sea life, however the Centre feels smaller. Birmingham has the 4D cinima, so swings and roundabouts. It would be better if they have some more seating, a cafe (not vending machines). My top tip would be to go towards the end of the day, the masses of day trippers have gone, but note they close the tills / entrance door 1 hour before the Center closes, but this means you will see all the exhibits, get good photos etc.

Visited May 2014
SLC_Birmingham, Public Relations Manager at National Sea Life Centre, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
HI Vicky

Thanks for the great review, and for passing on your tip about coming later in the day, we do tend to be quieter after 2pm.

I am pleased you loved the penguin exhibit and the 4D cinema. Sorry you felt we were smaller than some of our sister attractions, we are actually the same size as London sea life.

We have taken on board some of the guest feedback about seating and have added new seating around the centre, meaning there are plenty of rest stops and nice places to take in some of our amazing creatures for a little longer.

We hope to welcome you to the centre again soon.

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Engand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great penguins!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

A good half a day out! Loved the penguins and the turtles! Was good value if you book online in advance!

Visited May 2014
Hi, and thanks for your review.

I am so glad you loved the new penguin exhibit and thanks for passing on the advice about booking in advance! We hope to welcome you again soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Too small, too pricey”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Been to Blackpool and London SeaLife Centres in a past year and both of them left a better impression than the one in Birmingham. Might be due to the fact that they're all pretty much the same and therefore, I haven't seen anything new.. However, Birmingham SeaLife is way small than other two and I wouldn't say it's worth the money either (even with a discount).

Visited May 2014
SLC_Birmingham, Public Relations Manager at National Sea Life Centre, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hello, and thanks for your review.
I am sorry you were not fully satisfied by your visit to us, we take guest feedback very seriously and will always try to improve where we can. We are actually a very similar size to both of the sister sites you have mentioned and whilst we share many similarities we each have our own charm. For instance we have the only Hammerhead sharks in the UK, a colony of Gentoo penguins, giant green sea turtle, and many many more. I hope you will visit again soon, and perhaps take a more leisurely visit around the centre, if you do I am sure you will change your mind. Do let us know either way.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not bad, but could be better !!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Visited here with 2 of my children and my sister, it was quite pricey to get in, but was an enjoyable hour. You do get a stamp so you can return later in the day if you wish too-we didnt as once you've seen it, there really isn't much to pull you back. Would definately say its wirth a visit, but would only go if there was an offer available. We used the kelloggs offer, but still expensive !!

Visited January 2014
SLC_Birmingham, Public Relations Manager at National Sea Life Centre, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review the attraction.

I am pleased you enjoyed your visit with your family. I am sorry you felt there wasn’t much to pull you back after you had been through the attraction. I wonder if you were able to take advantage of the many talks and feeds we have on throughout the day. Many guests, use our multi entry system to get to all of the talks and really get the most out of their day with us. I am surprised you felt we were only an hour visit, most guests spend around two to two and half hours with us. I wonder if you were able to appreciate all of the finer qualities of the creatures we look after in just an hour. I hope you will visit again, and attend some of the feeds and talks we have on at the centre, if you do i am sure you will find there is loads to learn and do within the attraction. We hope to welcome you to the centre again soon!
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Go by train print off a national rail discount voucher for cheaper entry.”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Sea life is expensive but plenty of discount vouchers online or keep a look out for coupons on cereal boxes for but one get one free entry. If you pre plan and go on the national rail website you can also get buy one get one free on entry if you print off a voucher and show at reception, along with your train tickets. Lots to see in the centre, would be nicer if there was more interactive things to do but still enjoyable. Gets very busy though so you feel a bit cramped and like you need to rush through.

Visited June 2013
SLC_Birmingham, Public Relations Manager at National Sea Life Centre, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip advisor.

Thanks for sharing your tips on vouchers to come and see us. As you say there are always some out there, we also offer 40% online, which is a great way to beat the queues.

I am sorry you don’t feel we have enough interactive things in the centre, our new quiz trail will hopefully change your mind on this, we also have our interactive rock pool.

I am sorry you feel that we sometimes get busy and you feel rushed, if you would like to share anything more on this please email us at slcbirmingham@merlinentertainments.biz . We do take great care to make sure that guests have a great day, and your multi entry visit means you are able to avoid the busier times of the day and come in when we are quieter if you would like.

We hope to welcome you and your friends and family to the centre again soon.