All reviews national holidays post code leisure facilities sauna and steam room cadbury world full english business trip restaurant staff an overnight stay tea and coffee stayed for one night gym motorway nec
Reviewed 8 September 2016

I have stayed at this hotel regularly over the past year- I can honestly say that I have never had a bad experience. The staff are friendly and accommodating - nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable and roomy - The food inclusive of their RGB and breakfasts are very good - again any special requests have been immediately provided without any fuss. The location is perfect for those on business or leisure with access to all major motorways nearby I personally could not recommend this hotel and their staff highly enough and will always stay here when in the area.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Park Inn by Radisson Hotels
K R, Front Office Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2016

Dear Isabella,

Thank you for your five star review & feedback, it is very much appreciated. I am very pleased to read you are enjoying your stays with us and that we exceeded your expectations during your visits and glad to read that we are your preferred hotel for your stays when in the area. We all look forward to see you very soon in the hotel.

Reviewed 8 September 2016

Spent a couple of days here recently. Much to like, Plenty to feel less satisfied about.

The room was great. Spacious, extra size bed and comfortable. The view less so - over a parking area with a couple of HGV trailers ( I presume the hotel rents space out to such), and then houses beyond. But that is not a problem.

The food was variable. I ate one night out of the two in the restaurant. On a Friday night, there were only a couple of other diners - which would make you wonder immediately.

However, the dinner was tasty. Although I never understand why a starter such as pâté comes with insufficient toast. After all, that must be the cheapest part of the dish. But the steak was good, and the pudding fine. Albeit, I felt the whole meal was slightly over-priced for the quality it offered.

Being honest, I pointed out that the bill had only charged for a glass of wine, whereas I had had a bottle. It really shouldn't be too difficult to get such things right, when the dining area was, effectively, almost deserted.

There was a family there for the two days I stayed, who were at the meals I had (one dinner, two breakfasts). They had seemingly endless numbers of children, and appeared to have some connection with one of the members of the bar staff.

Fortunately, I like children. That meant that I had no problem with their offspring effectively running riot. There were several toddlers or infants, and they were in and out of all sections of the dining area, including up to and around my table whilst I was eating. As I said, no problem for me. However, it certainly would be an issue for others. And the fact that a member of staff was linked to them could detract from the ambience of the hotel.

A couple of notes about breakfast. On the first day, I have to say that the sausages were severely over-done - perhaps had been left on the range for too long. They were as wrinkled as a Shar-Pei dog.

The buffet only offered scrambled eggs. However, I discovered that a guest could have fried eggs - but only if requested. Now, this is a great thing! It could be a real selling point - "your eggs will be fried fresh to order". As far as I could see, though, there was no sign or message to say that you could even have fried eggs, let alone done to order - it only emerged if you happened to spot that another guest had them brought out (on the second day, I asked if this was possible for mushrooms - not on the range - and was told that would be fine. I don't want baked beans with a breakfast - and I don't think it is that odd to want mushrooms. Why was this option not also displayed?).

On the second day, this issue was compounded. As I then knew that fried eggs could be had by order, I was happy to wait. However, I noticed that there was a period of at least ten minutes where the scrambled eggs had run out, before fresh supplies were put out. All the guests who arrived for breakfast in the meantime had to assume that the other ingredients of a breakfast on display were all they had to choose from.

The dining area had one of those rotary toasters, where you pop in your slices at the top, then wait for them to do a "circuit" and slide out at the bottom. However, the setting was such that one "lap" of the toaster merely produced slightly crisp bread. Most guests were putting their slices through for a second circuit. It really shouldn't be beyond the wit of the restaurant staff to realise this, and increase the setting for the toaster. I guess, however, that they have "always" set it to X and will continue to do so, since that is how it has always been.

Oh, and on the second day at breakfast, they ran out of marmalade. Now, I have to say that a proper "full English" has always included, for me, a slice or two of toast and marmalade to "round it off". Not jam. Not honey. Marmalade. So, it shouldn't be too much to ask, to have marmalade available.

But, they didn't, on that second day. I was given an apology by a waitress, that they had "run out". But, frankly, that is not good enough. IF the marmalade was only available in those tiny individual mini-portions that many establishments use, then I could perhaps accept that someone had forgotten to order the next "batch". However, here, the marmalade (and jams) was set out in big "Kilner" jars, with a spoon. Each jar must contain hundreds of portions. It's really not difficult for any professional dining area manager to be aware of any impending shortage of any such element of what is offered.

I should also say that the receptionist when I checked in on the Friday night was one of the most helpful people I have encountered in many years of using hotels. She was pleasant and cheerful, and went out of her way to make me feel welcome. When, later, I queried something about Wi-Fi access, she answered my questions clearly and positively, and also said that if I continued to have problems, I should bring my laptop back to her at reception, and she would sort it out for me. That turned out not to be necessary, but she was one of the highlights of my stay.

I would have liked to use the spa or pool, but it transpiredt that it was not open as late as the website suggested. However, I praise the hotel for having a civilised time for check out, of midday. That meant that I could have breakfast on Sunday morning without having to get up early, and still have time to get back to the room and not rush to get out.

I hope the above helps to show the reason for my title - overall, a reasonable hotel. But, with just a "little" extra effort, it could be significantly better.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2016

Stayed at this hotel to visit friends in Birmingham. Hotel was nice and clean. Staff helpful and polite. We has dinner and breakfast there and it was good. Drinks were on the high side. Not much around the hotel to do. Need your own transport to get to places around this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends

Dear Family C,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel for visiting your friends in Birmingham. I was very pleased to read you had overall an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

A few weeks after using the conference facilities I received a £100 'charge' from ParkingEye. This was despite me entering my car registration details at reception.

Assuming this was just a mix up I appealed via ParkingEye and sent them the conference receipt. The date and time on the receipt corresponded exactly with the time I was parked, so I expected that this would be the end of the matter....

It wasn't. They are continuing to pursue me for this charge. I tried contacting the hotel directly, but they will not help because I have already had my appeal turned down.

The parking at this hotel is simply extortion and it seems Radisson are happy to be complicit in it.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback, I was very disappointed to read that you had some issue with car parking. I will contact you directly to discuss your review further to allow me to investigate the matter.

Reviewed 5 September 2016 via mobile

Went on mystery tour ended up at park Inn lovely hotel next to Walsall footy food was fine although we struggled to get desert we wanted been last in breakfast super shower bit iffy as went all over floor an out into room but worth money

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
K R, Front Office Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2016

Dear Beryl399

Thank you for your review & feedback, it is very much appreciated. It was pleasing to know that your mystery tour ended up at our hotel and you had an enjoyable stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Khalil Rehman