“Slow service, average food”

Cafe Rouge - Birmingham New Street
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were disappointed with this Cafe Rouge. It is in a wonderful location, right in the heart of pedestrianised Birmingham with pavement tables. We sat and sat and sat (for 30 minutes) withouit sight of a waiter or waitress. So, we went inside to ask if we could have service and eventually a waitress appeard who was clearly rushed off her feet. The meal was OK but nothing to get excited about - a mushroom ommelette with chips was fairly tasty and goats cheese salad very straightforward. Obtaining the bill was an bequally challenging experience. This is not the place to go if you are in a hurry.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I don't know whether we had the same waiter, as the previous reviewer but ours gave exactly the same impression that he wanted to be anywhere but Cafe Rouge, serving customers. His manner was very off-hand and unfriendly throughout out meal. The supervisor was much more pleasant and greeted us pleasantly, but that was where the good service ended. The food was the usual average Cafe Rouge fayre, nothing to write home about.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have always found Cafe Rouge a fail safe option. I don't know Birmingham so thought it would be a known quantity-and quality. I was wrong. It was 9.30 and they started packing up around us as soon as I got in. The waiter gave the impression he couldn't wait to get out of there. I had the fixed menu. The watercress and Stilton soup was tasteless and the equivalent to ravioli was inedible. In fairness-and this is why I have given 2 stars instead of none-they didn't charge me for the meal and gave me a small glass of wine. This was a different waiter-maybe he just wanted to get rid of me so he could go home-but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was better customer service than the first waiter. The toilets were filthy-dirty toilet basin and mirrors so filthy you couldn't see anything but splash marks and stains. I know it was the end of the night and the staff work hard through the day but there is no excuse for a customer experience to be so bad if you are intending to take their money.

1  Thank Calamity999
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed in Birmingham for one night for my boyfriends birthday. On the night we found this restaurant and went in to eat. They pre warned us they were busy and we would have to wait 45 minutes, but the place seemed worth the wait. We sat down in the middle of the restaurant, but moved to a table by the window when a table became available. It was a really cosy atmosphere and we enjoyed a few drinks whilst waiting for our food. The food only took around 20 minutes to be served. the food was lovely and the staff were attentive. Would recommend this restaurant and would return again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Enjoyed a lovely Paysanne salad here the other night. Fresh and tasty and the waiter recommended a lovely white wine to accompany. Excellent service from the friendly waiter and barman. I would certainly go back there the next time I am in Birmingham.