“Very very good. ”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
Description: Carters of Moseley is a Michelin Star restaurant offering a luxury multi-course tasting menu, with particular attention to the best produce, foraged flora & wild fauna indigenous to the UK. The style of cooking will use ancestral techniques like fire & fermentation blended with a modern spirit of creative culture. The wine list focuses on artisanal growers who practice modern & traditional styles of natural farming & winemaking.
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

Ticked all the right boxes for me. Staff very knowledgeable on all the food, chef very picky where he sources his ingredients and excellent tasting food and wine. It was really good but didn't blow me away. We are going to come back next month with another friend.

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (893)

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Visited for a joint Birthday celebration.. food was exquisite, service was exemplary.. we had the 3-course dégustation and the staff were so knowledgeable! *VERY* locally sourced ingredients. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

The food we ordered was excellent and we went for the wine paring too, which we all enjoyed. However, the menu and what you could choose was complicated. It needs simplifying and making clear what you can and cannot have depending on whether opting for the three, five or seven course menu. There is a lack of flexibility unfortunately but that aside, the service was pretty good and we would return.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

Fabulous three course lunch to mark a friend's birthday. Service was extremely good - polite, friendly staff who were all very knowledgeable about everything on the menu. Food delicious. I had the tomato, smoked ricotta & Tamworth back fat starter which was wonderfully creamy yet light. Main course lamb was unbelievably tender. Cherry tart and meadowsweet ice cream for dessert was divine! Good accompanying wines. Pleasant atmosphere. Quality all round. Will be back.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

We made a very last minute booking for Carters (2 hours notice) online. Love the look of the place, nice little bar area in the window to sit if you fancy a pre-dinner cocktail. Open restaurant, not too crowded and you can see through into a kitchen full of staff beavering away.

The menu comes in a choice of 3, 5 or 7 courses - but you can't choose which of them you have.

We initially opted for the 5 course menu. I'm fussy when it comes to dessert courses in restaurants, I have a food preference of no fruit, coconut, almond or goats cheese for them. It’s me being awkward, so I do have realistic expectations of what a restaurant can do. For restaurants who also offer an À La Carte menu and I would opt for a dish from that, aka the chocolate one.

We had a last minute booking with no notice for Chef to prepare something, so wasn’t expecting them to be able to magically rustle up something with the ingredients they won’t have. I proposed some alternatives, maybe one of the other starter courses instead of one of the desserts, or one of the starters with cheese instead of the remaining dessert course. None of this was allowed – if you have having the 5 courses you can only have the 5 prescribed, same for the 3 course menu and everyone on the table must have the same dishes at the same time.

After some objections and back and forth to the kitchen we were able to agree (and it did seem to be quite begrudgingly) on skipping both desserts for myself and replacing them with the cheese course without supplement whilst my husband had the desserts.

I will admit I was rather annoyed by this attitude, but the worst was to come. We thought why not try the complete menu and up to the 7 course option as the two we were missing really appealed. One of the courses came with a pile of truffle on top of it. I think truffle is vile, the smell of it awful and the taste just ruins any dish for me.

So we asked for the full 7 course menu, the cheese option for me and no truffle on my pork. Absolutely impossible! There was no way Chef would allow the dish to be served without the truffle, it couldn’t be left off, it couldn’t be served on the side so it didn’t ruin the pork. It was the first time a restaurant has refused to serve a course because I don’t like an element of the dish.

I will admit the attitude of inflexibility in the menu really did set the experience off very negatively, not really the relaxed evening of good food and wine we were looking for. The food was very tasty, well prepared, very well presented and tasted good. But I can’t really think of any really stand out dishes that got me excited – though the two British cheeses were both excellent. And this in part comes down to the service issues at the start just putting a real cloud over the experience.

The front of house team was excellent, really good consistent service throughout and the wine list is interesting, some nice more unusual choices on it which was great to see!

I won’t be rushing back, the lack of flexibility in the menu (i.e. which course you can have) really puts me off. And the attitude that you can’t remove something from a dish because it will ruin Chef’s vision for it despite the fact you really don’t like that ingredient is something I’ve never experienced before and puts me off visiting again.

6  Thank FozzyO