“2 night weekend break & a fab hotel clean clean & did i mention clean”

Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My wife and i stayed here on the 15/7 till the 17/7 and what a gem of a hotel. Great check in and a very nice young lady on reception who managed to show me how to work the coffee machine with a hangover! Very clean hotel with a great choice of bars and not forgetting the rectory bar down the road which is great for food or drinks. Would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone and hopefully would like to see this hotel chain in swansea soon . Good hotel with simple ethics and style at the same time.

1  Thank jackarmy07
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and praising the hotel on its cleanliness. We have a great team of housekeepers who do their best to keep the hotel clean and it's great to hear your comments. Thank you once again. We look forward to you staying with us in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Bloc Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed over the weekend for a friends do, I arrived from Birmingham New Street Station and it took me 20 mins walk to get from there.

Reception is very new and nice and got my room with no problem. I got there early but was able to check in which was very handy.

The room was very modern with a wetroom with 2 showers, one overhead and the more standard one. I stayed in a no window room but I liked how they added a fake window with a blind that simulates light behind it as if was real.

For an over night room I could not fault it. The only gripes I would have was that the free wifi did not work for me in the room but only in the reception, not sure if this down to my phone though. The other thing I would like to mention is that while I like the room for my own personal use I don't think I could if I was sharing. The door to the wet room and a bit of the wall is all see through glass. Me and a friend had to wait out side my room when a female friend used the toilet.

Other then that it all good and value wise good for Birmingham

Room Tip: Book early to get cheaper rate, if you don't mind no windows you will pay even less.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank lamblamlamb
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Hi. I hope you had a good night out with your friends? You will be pleased to hear that we are currently working on sourcing a solution so as it provides people with more privacy in the wet room should they be sharing a room. Work on the wet room glass starts this week in the hotel, so hopefully next time you stay the work will be complete. You mentioned that you had problems accessing the wireless internet on your mobile phone. We have not any reports on this before but would happily investigate it should you like contact us and let us know which room you stayed in. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Although rooms are small and basic. It was very comfortable and clean. Really comfy bed, hot shower and fluffy white towels. Great if you are only staying the one night. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance. Excellent value for £45. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room with a window, I believe not all rooms have one.
2  Thank Linda186466
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Truly excellent hotel situated about 10 minutes walk from city centre, surrounded by great bars and places to eat.

The room is small but perfectly formed as they say - really comfortable bed, LED TV, and great en-suite shower room within a kind of glass cubicle. Amazing shower and even better knowing it only cost £50 per night (extra £5 a night for the window).

There's no phone in the room, no room service and no bar, but plenty available a couple of minuets walk away. There is a vending machine for snacks and coffee etc.

Give it a go - wish there were more Blocs in other cities!!

3  Thank glennharrold
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

What a great review to be written about the hotel, thank you. I think you describe it very well so other people can get an idea about Bloc if they looking to stay with us. Keep your eye out and about as hopefully you will see Bloc Hotels popping up in other cities soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We wanted a comfy but affordable place that was close to town for a night out - The Bloc was amazing - the rooms may be small but they are so comfy - the bed is amazing but sadly my handbag wasn't big enought to take the pillows :)
Its good to see a hotel that understands what people need when they spend most their time out and about.
Recommended!!!

1  Thank April077

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. The beds are sooooooo comfy, I know exactly what you mean! Many of our guests never want to get out our beds especially when check out out comes round at 11am. We do our best to try and provide what our guests want from staying in a hotel, so if you have any more thoughts on how your stay could be improved please do let us know.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

This was my first time i stayed at Bloc. Absolutely loved my stay and would highly recommend it. Having travelled most of the UK and always going for the same style of hotel (ie: Travelodge / Travel inn) I found this experience refeshing (hence the need to add a review). The hotel is very funky, modern and very clean. The rooms are a comfortable size. One of the key points for me was how polite the staff were (Lisa) on reception was very friendly and welcoming which made a refeshing change, I would definitely stay agian and hope more Bloc hotels pop up all over the UK.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SAJ90
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Hey, thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Lisa. As I've mentioned before, it's so nice to hear that people enjoy our product and give praise on the level of customer service received from our team.

Reviewed 8 July 2011

For a hotel to operate at the budget end of the market it has to compromise on space and facilities however, Bloc has achieved this with style and panache and with a level of customer service that makes the whole experience a pleasure.

The attention to detail is evident through the selection of materials, textures, lighting and finishes. Few unsightly joints, not a fixing visible and even the air conditioning grille has been rebated so as to avoid an ugly protrusion. The hotel lacks a restaraunt, bar and gym but its location has been chosen to more than compensate for that with the Jewelery Quarter and St Paul's Square a few minute walk away you are surrounded by fantastic bars and restaurants. Bloc has set out to offer luxurious accomodation at very affordable prices, not to take on the food and beverage market. It has stuck to its strengths and done it very well. I will definitely use it again.

Room Tip: Ask nicely!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Heddwch7
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

'Style and Panache' what a great choice of words! It's good to see that you have grasped the concept of our hotel and the attention to detail that went in to choosing the materials, textures, lighting and finishes. Your exactly right in saying that we have not taken on the food and beverage market, but hey, who would want to with all the scrumptious restaurants located in St Paul's Square?