“Ideal hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bloc Hotel Birmingham

Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Ideal hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

I was really impressed by this hotel - the room was really chic and clean and I loved the monsoon shower. The room was actually bigger than I imagined from the reviews (we had a room with a window) and perfectly adequate for a night or two. Shame there were no tea / coffee facilities in the room but wasn't much effort to go down to the lobby and the coffee was great. We got free parking on the street right outside which was a bonus.
I thought the area was lovely too - first visit to Birmingham and nothing like I imagined! We really enjoyed walking round St.Paul's square; had cocktails at the Rectory and an amazing meal at Cucina Rustica and had a potter round the Jewelley Quarter and into the town centre on the Sunday.
The hotel was amazing value for money, would recommend it 100% and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

1 Thank hellsbells35
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Glad to hear you had a nice weekend and most of all glad to hear that you were impressed by the hotel! St Paul's Square is such a lovely part of Birmingham. You mentioned that this was your first visit to Birmingham, so hopefully we look forward to you staying at Bloc Hotel again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

This hotel is really quite unique for UK budget hotels, like a mini St Martin's Lane or Sanderson, Bloc was reminiscent of the Hudson in New York - fabulously chic, wonderfully comfortable, budget spent on all the right aspects, and although minimal I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I'd even prefer staying here to the 4* hotels in the area. I HIGHLY recommend it for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Book a room with a window if you can
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
WOW, thank you for your kind comments and mini comparisons! It's really nice to hear that you prefer to stay us rather than other 4* hotels within the area. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I'm writing this review from the comfiest bed I've ever slept in, in the Bloc Hotel.

When my boyfriend booked a room here, I was nervous it would be too small for me, as I get a little claustrophobic. But, I was completely surprised - the rooms are a perfect size. Gorgeous big bed, comfy fluffy pillows, and lovely squishy mattress. The UV light thing is a really cool modern touch to the room. It's literally the funkiest place I've ever stayed.
The bathroom/wet room is fabulous. And an amazing shower. Good god.
I'd move in tomorrow.

Love it, love it. As I only live 20 minutes from Birmingham, I will definitely be coming back. I'll be making excuses to stay overnight in Birmngham.
T

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate your comments about the hotel and of course the 'fluffy pillows' and 'squishy mattress'. It took us a long time to choose the correct ones. Hopefully you will be back soon!
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Think of being on a ship in a small cabin, albeit a very comfortable ship. This is the image of a Bloc room. Compact, clean and comfortable. The hotel lacks any facilities what so ever but you know this when you book. I stayed on the first week of opening and one time since and on both occasions the staff were excellent (particularly Laura who I met on the fist night...super enthusiastic and clearly loves working for the company). As a regular traveller I wish there were Bloc hotels in every city...would certainly put travelodge out of business!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BlocHotels, Operations Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Many thanks for your review and comments. Hopefully you will see more Bloc Hotels opening up and down the country very soon!
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

My wife and i stayed here on the 15/7 till the 17/7 and what a gem of a hotel. Great check in and a very nice young lady on reception who managed to show me how to work the coffee machine with a hangover! Very clean hotel with a great choice of bars and not forgetting the rectory bar down the road which is great for food or drinks. Would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone and hopefully would like to see this hotel chain in swansea soon . Good hotel with simple ethics and style at the same time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and praising the hotel on its cleanliness. We have a great team of housekeepers who do their best to keep the hotel clean and it's great to hear your comments. Thank you once again. We look forward to you staying with us in the near future.
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed over the weekend for a friends do, I arrived from Birmingham New Street Station and it took me 20 mins walk to get from there.

Reception is very new and nice and got my room with no problem. I got there early but was able to check in which was very handy.

The room was very modern with a wetroom with 2 showers, one overhead and the more standard one. I stayed in a no window room but I liked how they added a fake window with a blind that simulates light behind it as if was real.

For an over night room I could not fault it. The only gripes I would have was that the free wifi did not work for me in the room but only in the reception, not sure if this down to my phone though. The other thing I would like to mention is that while I like the room for my own personal use I don't think I could if I was sharing. The door to the wet room and a bit of the wall is all see through glass. Me and a friend had to wait out side my room when a female friend used the toilet.

Other then that it all good and value wise good for Birmingham

Room Tip: Book early to get cheaper rate, if you don't mind no windows you will pay even less.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank lamblamlamb
BlocHotels, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Hi. I hope you had a good night out with your friends? You will be pleased to hear that we are currently working on sourcing a solution so as it provides people with more privacy in the wet room should they be sharing a room. Work on the wet room glass starts this week in the hotel, so hopefully next time you stay the work will be complete. You mentioned that you had problems accessing the wireless internet on your mobile phone. We have not any reports on this before but would happily investigate it should you like contact us and let us know which room you stayed in. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Although rooms are small and basic. It was very comfortable and clean. Really comfy bed, hot shower and fluffy white towels. Great if you are only staying the one night. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance. Excellent value for £45. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a room with a window, I believe not all rooms have one.
1 Thank Linda186466