“Pro's and Con's”

Ranked #29 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Luton, United Kingdom
“Pro's and Con's”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for two nights and I would definitely come back although there were a few disappointments. Me being me, I checked the bedsheets which had a few stains and many hairs. As the sheets were not tucked in very well, I pulled it back to fix it and discovered many hairs underneath. I was not best pleased, I am presuming they keep the same mattress protector sheet but replace the top sheet... consequently I asked for new clean sheets which me and my husband put back on ourselves and completely re-did the bed. After, we were able to relax. The cleanliness of everything else was spot on, the bathroom was sparking.

The bed is very comfortable and the staff were polite although I got the feeling that the receptionist wasn't best pleased when we asked for new sheets within an hour of being there. The shower has two options, either through the normal shower head or a power shower from the above... both were great. Although the water got everywhere after, it wasn't that much of a problem, we just used a hand towel to dry the floor and toilet.

We was also a bit disappointed with the view, we were on the first floor and faced an office, the staff could see directly into the room. A bit frustrating as you pay for a window room but do not feel comfortable having the blind up - so basically defeated the whole point of having a window as the blind was always down anyway.

Free wifi is a brilliant touch and the tv too. It definitely has a 'luxury' feel for a budget hotel. We didn't mind the distance as the walk was ok to the town centre and there are nice bars/ restaurants in the jewellery quarter too. Parking is not far and having discounted parking is definitely a must. We probably wouldn't have stayed if we had to pay £14.50 for parking for per 24 hrs...

Maybe we are just a bit fussy, I would rate THIS experience a 4/5 but no doubt if we returned and we had a better view and no problems with the sheets... it'll be 5/5.

Room Tip: I would say say a top floor room with a window - not facing an office would be the best.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loz r
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for your review and for bringing to our attention the issues that were mentioned. Following this, I have had a meeting with our Head Housekeeper to ensure that the maids double check all linen before placing on the beds and that standards are maintained throughout the hotel.
In regards to your room with a view, a city view room can be requested at the time of booking. The hotel has 4 floors and unfortunately not all rooms can benefit from city views.
I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
Cheltenham
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I would just like to make a note about other peoples reviews, you have to expect a small room and you do have to pay an extra £5 or £10 if you want a room with a window.

The reception area is warm, welcoming and very modern. The receptionist was helpful.

The room is very clean and tidy albeit small. The bed is very large and has a nice cosy feel to it with an easily accessible TV.

The bathroom is a wet room and the shower is hot, powerful and has a very large head. The shower is perfect for couples.

I look forwards to my next visit. Thanks Bloc hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel C
Great description and review of the hotel, thank you.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Some places benefit from keeping it simple and this is definitely one.
I paid 40 pounds for a room with no window, as I am an extremely light sleeper and it was worth twice as much. One of the best night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel. The bed was super comfy and it was extremely quiet without the street noise. Very clean too. Though Caroline Street is not exactly a major roadway. Was genuinely tempted to book another night just to sleep there again. The wet room shower is great (I had 3 goes in it). Excellent location, less than 5 mins walk from St' Paul's Sq and it's wide array of bars and restaurants. Only took me 20 minutes to walk from New Street too. Well worth a stay. Only thing I would say is that while the room's are great for one with their compact design, I would think two people might trip over each other (but I can't deduct a mark for a theory I haven't tested. They do a continental breakfast for around 5GBP, but I didn't go for this, so can't let you know about the quality of it. Will definitely stay next time I am in Birmingham. For around 10 quid more than the godawful Travelodge down the road, a steal.

Room Tip: Go for a room without a window for a beaut sleep.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and had a great nights sleep. When the hotel opened, a lot of thought went into the choice of mattress, pillows, duvets and linen. Hopefully, from your comments and other reviews, it looks like we got this right!
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Agree wholeheartedly with a previous reviewer who gave 1 star. Came away with my husband for a relaxing break, not much relaxing you can do in a cold box with no windows, thin duvet and pillows, no carpet, no kettle and not enough room in the room to even be able to get out of the bed from both sides. We clearly misunderstood the description on the website, boutique to me, denotes some element of luxury and service. A more accurate description of this hotel would be modern budget hotel rather than boutique budget hotel. Very disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the hotel and that it didn't meet your expectations. We realise that our product may not appeal to everyone that stays however the positive responses have been overwhelming so far.
sheffield
Reviewed 1 February 2012

stayed at the bloc recently for a weekend away with our friends. extremely clean, very comfortable bed and a fantastic shower. we enjoyed the pods and all we needed. receptionists very helpful and really friendly. will definitely stop here again, great value for money. definitely luxury on a budget!! 15minute walk to city centre and £5 for a taxi onto broad street

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for you review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My girlfriend booked me this Bloc Hotel for my birthday. We stayed at the Bloc Hotel on a two night on 30th Jan until the 1st of Feb 2012.

At £45 it was a bargain! The service from the lady on reception was extremely good, she was very friendly and helpful.

The fixtures were definitely well thought out, and certainly had a "luxury" feel. The bed was rather large and extremely comfortable and the shower was amazing. The bathroom 'module' is a wet room so you need to think what order to do things in and make sure the shower is pointing at the WC but quite frankly it adds to the funkiness of the hotel. The towels were big and soft and the mattress wonderfully comfortable. No frills but you can get decent coffee and snacks from vending machines if needed.

This is a modern pod style hotel. £50 for one of the most comfortable night but that was the best offer but it's normally £90 per night. we've had in a hotel. Its a new hotel and clean and spotless. Would highly recommend for a cheap yet smart quiet stay just out of the city centre but in good walking distance (about 10mins).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kbtang
What a great description of your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Hopefully you'll be back in Birmingham to stay again soon!
Stoney Stanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We booked the hotel for a weekend in Birmingham, we went into town to the Christmas market, the hotel is a ten minute walk from the centre of town. It is in a lovely area near St Paul's church and the Jam House bar. We like this style of hotel and usually stay at the Nite Nite but Bloc rooms are bigger and it just feels nicer as its not right at the noisy heart of the city.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you for your kind comments.