“chic - boutique”

Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here on business trip. Very clean, rooms small but ample enough. No tea or coffee facilities in the room, but you can purchase in the reception area.
The staff were friendly and really helpful. very good value for money.

Room Tip: I would think that all rooms are at a high standard
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank DoddFamily
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Short but sweet! Thank you for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel.
I only booked it a couple of hours before I was due to stay at a cost of only £35. What a bargain, it had everything I needed very comfortable bed, brilliant tv and style.
I can understand the few niggles other reviewers had. Tea and coffee would have been nice and if there's 2 people staying together I would say you'd have to be pretty intimate because there's no privacy, but I thought it was brilliant and will definitely stay there again. Plus it's free parking on the street from 6pm to 8am

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Bel04

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you'll be back soon!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

A great hotel in the city centre. It was the cheapest option by far for us to stay here so risked it but it was great. you don't get much (as stated on the website etc) but what you do get it excellent and good quality. The bed is big and so comfy, flat screen tv, easy wifi connection, amazing waterfall shower, 2 big pillows each and big soft towels. there are no extras like hair dryer, tea/coffee in the room but there are coffee and vending machines (hot drinks are £1.50) if you need them. The staff are friendly efficient and helpful, let us leave our bags with no charge and reception is manned 24 hours. Its a short (10-15 min) walk into the main bullring area but the area itself in the jewellery qtr is great, good restaurants and pubs all around. We paid an extra £5 for a window and got a nice view too. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kate L

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Just to let you know for next time, hairdryers can be borrowed from reception. Please ask on arrival. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

As someone who used to work just round the corner, it's great to see the new developments oin the St Paul's/Jewellery Quarter area. Proximity to the latter is a great benefit of Bloc, but is only 10-15 minutes walk from the city centre in an area I'd consider as very very safe. As an ex local it was thus easy to find, a big illuminated entrance, with quick check-in, and an area of seating /TV in reception. A quick lift or short walk took me to my second floor room, with clear, modern signage making all areas of the hotel easy to find.

Room numbering is unusual, distinctly funky, but easy to follow. The room is exactly as previously descrived, a bed and a bathroom. Not somewhere you'd want to spend much time but how many people actually use yhe desks, wardrobes and ironing boards larger chains provide? Well not me! The room actually has a feeling of spaciousness - colours, lighting and design combined to give a 'feel good factor'. The bed takes up half the room, but is big, soft and comfortable. Towels provided on the bed, as big & fluffy as advertised. Set in to the wall at the end of the bed is a Samsung flat screen TV - better than anything in a comparably priced Traveldoge type hotel.

There are vending machines on 1st and 3rd floors which were not the rip off some hotel vending machines, just right for 1am munchies. Come morning, and if it were not for a text message waking me up I'd probably still be in the bed now! The lack of window is not a problem and despite my friends using it as a point of ridicule, it is very cleverly designed around with the appearance of lighting coming from behind a recessed blind. To turn on the flights I fumbled towrads the light switches - it all happened automatically to give dimmed, purple lighting rather than harsh white lights, Whether design or accident it works for me!

The shower/wet room is also excatly as advertised, good shower or roof mounted 'rain' type shower. I wonder though, if the amount of water per room is limited as the pressure dropped off and remained low when using the sink afterwards. Definitely do not leave any papers/reading material in the bathroom when using the shower!

In summary, a superb place to get your head down, and if all you want is a sleep and a shower there's probably nowhere better than the Bloc. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Don't worry about paying extra for a window.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank n37077

Thank you for your review. It's so nice to hear your comments regarding the hotel. Not only that but it's a perfect description of the hotel for other people to read, who have not yet stayed.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for two nights and I would definitely come back although there were a few disappointments. Me being me, I checked the bedsheets which had a few stains and many hairs. As the sheets were not tucked in very well, I pulled it back to fix it and discovered many hairs underneath. I was not best pleased, I am presuming they keep the same mattress protector sheet but replace the top sheet... consequently I asked for new clean sheets which me and my husband put back on ourselves and completely re-did the bed. After, we were able to relax. The cleanliness of everything else was spot on, the bathroom was sparking.

The bed is very comfortable and the staff were polite although I got the feeling that the receptionist wasn't best pleased when we asked for new sheets within an hour of being there. The shower has two options, either through the normal shower head or a power shower from the above... both were great. Although the water got everywhere after, it wasn't that much of a problem, we just used a hand towel to dry the floor and toilet.

We was also a bit disappointed with the view, we were on the first floor and faced an office, the staff could see directly into the room. A bit frustrating as you pay for a window room but do not feel comfortable having the blind up - so basically defeated the whole point of having a window as the blind was always down anyway.

Free wifi is a brilliant touch and the tv too. It definitely has a 'luxury' feel for a budget hotel. We didn't mind the distance as the walk was ok to the town centre and there are nice bars/ restaurants in the jewellery quarter too. Parking is not far and having discounted parking is definitely a must. We probably wouldn't have stayed if we had to pay £14.50 for parking for per 24 hrs...

Maybe we are just a bit fussy, I would rate THIS experience a 4/5 but no doubt if we returned and we had a better view and no problems with the sheets... it'll be 5/5.

Room Tip: I would say say a top floor room with a window - not facing an office would be the best.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loz r
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thank you for your review and for bringing to our attention the issues that were mentioned. Following this, I have had a meeting with our Head Housekeeper to ensure that the maids double check all linen before placing on the beds and that standards are maintained throughout the hotel.
In regards to your room with a view, a city view room can be requested at the time of booking. The hotel has 4 floors and unfortunately not all rooms can benefit from city views.
I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I would just like to make a note about other peoples reviews, you have to expect a small room and you do have to pay an extra £5 or £10 if you want a room with a window.

The reception area is warm, welcoming and very modern. The receptionist was helpful.

The room is very clean and tidy albeit small. The bed is very large and has a nice cosy feel to it with an easily accessible TV.

The bathroom is a wet room and the shower is hot, powerful and has a very large head. The shower is perfect for couples.

I look forwards to my next visit. Thanks Bloc hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel C

Great description and review of the hotel, thank you.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Some places benefit from keeping it simple and this is definitely one.
I paid 40 pounds for a room with no window, as I am an extremely light sleeper and it was worth twice as much. One of the best night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel. The bed was super comfy and it was extremely quiet without the street noise. Very clean too. Though Caroline Street is not exactly a major roadway. Was genuinely tempted to book another night just to sleep there again. The wet room shower is great (I had 3 goes in it). Excellent location, less than 5 mins walk from St' Paul's Sq and it's wide array of bars and restaurants. Only took me 20 minutes to walk from New Street too. Well worth a stay. Only thing I would say is that while the room's are great for one with their compact design, I would think two people might trip over each other (but I can't deduct a mark for a theory I haven't tested. They do a continental breakfast for around 5GBP, but I didn't go for this, so can't let you know about the quality of it. Will definitely stay next time I am in Birmingham. For around 10 quid more than the godawful Travelodge down the road, a steal.

Room Tip: Go for a room without a window for a beaut sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Tokkas
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and had a great nights sleep. When the hotel opened, a lot of thought went into the choice of mattress, pillows, duvets and linen. Hopefully, from your comments and other reviews, it looks like we got this right!