“Unbelievable hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Coventry
“Unbelievable hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

I have stayed at the Bloc on several occasions during the last few months! The rooms are outstanding and set the perfect cosy atmosphere with superb walk-in shower facilities! The hotel itself is spotless and the staff are fantastic. The receptionist was so helpful with any help we required and the location of the Bloc is perfect and it is easy to access all areas in the centre of Birmingham. The hotel definitely represents value for money and would recommend it without reservation. I have stayed in many city centre hotels but this was by far the best and I look forward to the next time I have the opportunity to stay there!

Room Tip: All excellent
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rob U
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon! Many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

My wife and I decided on a few days away and we chose a city break in Birmingham. We did quite a bit of internet research looking for a hotel. We checked out all the usual suspects, but happened on Bloc hotel. We got what we thought was a good price (cheaper than all the other 'name' hotels) at £160 for three nights.
What do you get for your money? Well, the rooms look very modern and trendy with moody purple light and immaculately clean, much better than many hotels I've been in. Its a small room, but no worse than many hotel rooms. Ok, there is no tea and coffee facilities in the room, and only a very small bedside table and stool. There is no 'bright light' that you would be able to work by, but I could quite easily read my magazine by the light that was in the room. The beds were very comfortable and the shower was the best I've used in any hotel I've been in.
I think we were lucky with our room, we had an inside room so when you turned the light out it was pitch black (better than most city centre hotels) we weren't on a main corridor and had few adjoining rooms, so it was very quiet. Having said that my wife and I always take earplugs - you never know if you will get the neighbours from hell ;)
The hotel is well situated, it's a 15min walk into the city centre but there is a great cafe round the corner if you need a good breakfast and many pubs and restaurants just around St Peters square across the road. We managed to get free parking on the road for a day the other couple of days we parked on the ncp around the corner and got a discount card from the hotel that meant a cost of £7 for two days! This alone will bring the cost of your stay down if you are driving, compared to the other city centre hotels.
We chose this hotel based on the reviews on here, I'm so glad we we chose this hotel. Bloc are upfront about the size of rooms etc and I thought the rooms were better than they say!
I've stayed in many hotels around the world both on business and pleasure and I would say that this room is amongst the best I've stayed in. Staff were always friendly and greeted us with a smile.

1 Thank str4tc4t
Wow! Glad you liked the hotel. Thank you for your review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a great city centre location and is perfect for a one or two night stay. The concept of the hotel is great! It's ideal for a short city centre break, it's modern and spotlessly clean and only a short walk to the centre and the station! Would definitely recommend a luxury room with a window as it could become a little claustrophobic. We thoroughly enjoyed the massive shower and the comfy bed! Would definitely recommend and stay again!

1 Thank Pink879
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your review.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Bloc hotel located about 20 min walk from city centre... Parking nearby at reduced cost was good. Room was clean and of a good standard... Room didn't really feel small and the bed was comfy. Flat screen tv was nice also. Lighting in the room could be improved and no tea/coffee making in the room. Drinks are available but costs £1.50 a cup! The small wet room was a bit strange and glass design doesn't leave much for privacy :-)

Can't say we found the staff particularly friendly.

Overall clean, comfortable hotel good for a one night stay in Birmingham, :-) not like a normal hotel but still a good value place to stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Thank you for your review. Your comments regarding the tea and coffee making facilities have been taken onboard. In previous reviews the employees have been praised for their friendliness and customer service. I'm sorry to hear that you did not find the staff particularly friendly during your stay, however should you like to let us know when you stayed I can find out who was working and apply some extra training to the team. Once again, thank you for your review.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business mid week, hotel was quiet, although could here the person next to me flushing toilet and plugging stuff in etc.. Only slightly more than a normal hotel. Was disappointed there was no tea or coffee facilities in the room but only downside really! Bed was massive and comfy and the linen and towels were all of a high standard. Would go back!

1 Thank Nixy23
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thanks for your review and comments. Your comments have been taken onboard.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

Booked a one night stay at the bloc hotel to visit friends. I had read previous reviews and was unsure what I would find when I got there. To my delight I found a comfortable, clean, well run, good value hotel with a quality feel. The rooms are small but perfectly formed with a clever use of space. It had all the space me and my girlfriend needed. The shower was a delight, and probably the best hotel shower I have experienced in a long time. The bed was more comfortable than the one in my own house. I had an excellent nights sleep. I had read some reviews complaining about the size of the rooms. This surprised me because the hotel website clearly explains that the rooms are small. Also there were complaints about the lack of parking this is also not a problem at the hotel has a tie in with the local NCP multi story carpark with a bargain price of £3.50 for 24 hours. That is very cheap compaired to other hotels in the city. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Birmingham, and I am looking forward to my next visit. I only wish there was more bloc hotels around the country.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
What a fantastic review, thank you! You can be sure to start seeing other bloc hotels opening up shortly with the second hotel, bloc Gatwick opening in Summer 2013!
Beith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

This was an absolute steal. Great location, very small but very comfortable rooms with a real luxury feel. The very quiet air con make for a fantastic sleep in the huge bed. The location made for an easy stroll back from the bars around St. Paul's. I cannot wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. By the sounds of it you'll be back soon!