“Good port of call in lovely area of Birmingham”

Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #28 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Booked two rooms for a catch up with a friend. It really is two rooms for the price of one - around £100 for two pod like rooms...
Room small but functional with excellent wet room, tv and mood lighting.
Not sure I'd want to share with a friend mind as you can look over into the bathroom ... You'd want to be on intimate terms me thinks...
That aside, excellent place and location and will stay again when next in Brum.
Hope bloc expands to other destinations around the UK

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank deansw1
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

You will pleased to know that bloc hotels are expanding! Bloc Hotel Gatwick will be a 244 bedroom hotel opening in Summer 2013 and Bloc Hotel Birmingham will be adding 24 long-stay apartments scheduled also to open at the end of the Summer 2013. Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Bloc Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 9 November 2012

Use this place on every stay in Birmingham, would not choose any other. Rooms are small, but comfortable, very well designed. Staff service is as always first rate, always a pleasure to deal with them.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank VoiceOnRadio

It's always nice to hear that the hotel continues to meet peoples expectations a year and a half after opening. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Three of us who used to work together decided to meet up in Birmingham. In addition to a lot of time spent "catching up" we would visit the Jewellery Quarter and also do some early Christmas shopping in the city centre stores.On consulting Trip Advisor we chose to stay at the Bloc Hotel - convenient location, reasonable rates and very good reviews.
I have just returned home after two nights at the hotel and it exceeded my expectations in all respects - spotlessly clean, a convenient wet room with its amazing waterfall shower and user friendly controls, luxurious bed and bedding, high speed free internet access, top of the range TV and a choice of quality eating places within easy walking distance of the hotel.
The staff were all so helpful and friendly and committed to ensure we had a very positive experience.
We could have paid so much more for a lot less.

Room Tip: Speak to Reception and let them help you make the right choice
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank rainb0w44

Many thanks for your review. I will pass on your kind comments to the staff.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

As I strolled into the building I felt as if I had loaded up a game of Mass Effect; the colors and decoration were appealing and vibrant. The receptionist was very helpful gave us our cards. The room was quite comfortable with excellent climate control, although my companion was very weary of 'dry mouth' caused by continuous and prolonged air conditioning. For sight seeing and casual visitors to Birmingham this room offers everything you need, however for storage space you may as well leave your clothes and items in your travel bags and slide it under the bed (hanger area is very, very minimal.) The shower is practical, although I am not a big fan of showers which saturate the majority of the washroom. There were a few vending machines, and a good convenience store just up the road. Our bed was comfortable and the tv had a very generous selection of channels. It must be said that the picture was also crisp and the audio was of a high level of fidelity. Very clean and of a pleasant odor. I will return again one day.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Richard H
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Futuristic Hub............Great description of the hotel, thank you! We look forward to you returning in the near future.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

This is the perfect hotel for young people or those on a tight budget. The room my boyfriend and I had was called a compact double and it was very small, like a pod actually. The bed was clean, changed each day and spare pillows available under the bed, this was a bonus. Don't expect the normal facilities of a hotel, there is no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms because they are too small to for it and don't expect a wardrobe or ironing board, again the rooms are way to small to provide these. So, the hotel really is only ideal if you need a central location to the city and a place to sleep and wash, it's more of a stylish hostel than a 'hotel'. The lighting is unique and we enjoyed laying in bed under a purple light... Very atmospheric. However, the lights could be brighter in the rooms on day dimmer, it was dark outside and in our room.

There are vending machines in the building which sell dry snacks and water. And downstairs in reception there is a coffee machine costing £1.50 per small cup!

£160 for three nights- bargain. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Travel lightly- don't bring anything that may need ironing or hanging up. There is no place to h...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fitzy_Witzy

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Just so you know for next time you stay that the hotel has an ironing room located on the ground floor which is open 24hrs should you need to iron anything.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I have stayed at the Bloc on several occasions during the last few months! The rooms are outstanding and set the perfect cosy atmosphere with superb walk-in shower facilities! The hotel itself is spotless and the staff are fantastic. The receptionist was so helpful with any help we required and the location of the Bloc is perfect and it is easy to access all areas in the centre of Birmingham. The hotel definitely represents value for money and would recommend it without reservation. I have stayed in many city centre hotels but this was by far the best and I look forward to the next time I have the opportunity to stay there!

Room Tip: All excellent
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rob U
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon! Many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

My wife and I decided on a few days away and we chose a city break in Birmingham. We did quite a bit of internet research looking for a hotel. We checked out all the usual suspects, but happened on Bloc hotel. We got what we thought was a good price (cheaper than all the other 'name' hotels) at £160 for three nights.
What do you get for your money? Well, the rooms look very modern and trendy with moody purple light and immaculately clean, much better than many hotels I've been in. Its a small room, but no worse than many hotel rooms. Ok, there is no tea and coffee facilities in the room, and only a very small bedside table and stool. There is no 'bright light' that you would be able to work by, but I could quite easily read my magazine by the light that was in the room. The beds were very comfortable and the shower was the best I've used in any hotel I've been in.
I think we were lucky with our room, we had an inside room so when you turned the light out it was pitch black (better than most city centre hotels) we weren't on a main corridor and had few adjoining rooms, so it was very quiet. Having said that my wife and I always take earplugs - you never know if you will get the neighbours from hell ;)
The hotel is well situated, it's a 15min walk into the city centre but there is a great cafe round the corner if you need a good breakfast and many pubs and restaurants just around St Peters square across the road. We managed to get free parking on the road for a day the other couple of days we parked on the ncp around the corner and got a discount card from the hotel that meant a cost of £7 for two days! This alone will bring the cost of your stay down if you are driving, compared to the other city centre hotels.
We chose this hotel based on the reviews on here, I'm so glad we we chose this hotel. Bloc are upfront about the size of rooms etc and I thought the rooms were better than they say!
I've stayed in many hotels around the world both on business and pleasure and I would say that this room is amongst the best I've stayed in. Staff were always friendly and greeted us with a smile.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank str4tc4t

Wow! Glad you liked the hotel. Thank you for your review.