“rooms smell bad”

Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“rooms smell bad”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

we went to the bloc hotel on st 15th as a late valentines nite the bed was comfy and the sheets were clean.but the room smelt funny we arrived at 3.30 we assumed it was just cus it just been cleaned so i left it .room 209 it was .we went out for a meal and came back and it was still there the bathroom floor had no sealant in it so it was filled up with water and moved when you stood on it god knows how many germs it had in there. it got to much in the end so at 4.30 we got up and got a taxi home when we checked out we wernt even asked why he just called us a taxi it started off good nice and mod but went down hill sorry bloc staff on from desk were nice though

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for informing us about the issues in your room. We urge guests to inform the Hotel Team if they ever encounter a problem, they are ready to help no matter how big or small the issues are!
The General Manager has personally inspected room 209 and has planned maintenance accordingly, however there was no smell or movement from under the tiles, but we appreciate some days have passed since your stay.
It is normal for guests to check out at all hours, especially when Birmingham is an internationally hub, I have sent on your concerns and we will ensure all guests are asked about their stay on check out, regardless of the hour. We are pleased to hear that our Team are still friendly & nice and are commended on their customer service skills in nearly all of our reviews!
Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and giving us the information to constantly improve our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Overall our experience at the Bloc Hotel was great, I loved the tv imbedded into the side wall, comfy bed, the ideal location and the neon light to give the room a futuristic feel. The only downfall is that considering we payed £50 for the room we discovered that no tea and coffee is issued and has to be purchased from reception I feel
If this was addressed it would push the room to be a 10/10 overall. Andy

• Stayed February 2013
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Perfect review - Short & Concise! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback, this will be taken into consideration for future bloc hotels. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I booked this hotel for myself and my partner as we were staying in Birmingham for the weekend for a gig at the O2 Academy. The location in the Jewellery Quarter is wonderful. A nicely quiet road just up the road from St Paul's square, which happened to look beautiful in the snow. The road was so quiet it kept you away from the hustle and bustle from the city centre yet was still only a short walk from those busy areas. There's plenty of restaurants around the area and you even get discounts in certain restaurants for staying at the hotel! Out taxi journey to the O2 Academy was only £5 as well and it would've taken us a while to walk there! The rooms are wonderfully modern, and even though we had a room with no window it wasnt a struggle as the temperature was easily changed with the system in place. Beds were amazingly comfy, television was great although the remote was a tad old-school considering the hi-tech room. The wet room shower was lovely! Water drained away quickly and was not a problem in the slightest. The glass walls and door are frosted, and my partner found it very handy to be able to watch the rugby whilst in the shower! Wi-fi was free, which was great for us and someone was always there to help at reception. Our only problem was the noise outside our room at night since it was a weekend. Both saturday and Sunday night we had load people sat in the corridor outside out room talking very loudly and even knocking on our door one night. So the rooms aren't very soundproof. However this didn't take away from the overall view of the hotel. I absolutely loved it and would happily stay again. Great value for money!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank avery_x
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
The Bloc Team took a long time debating on where to place their first hotel and the picturesque Jewellery Quarter won hands down. Such a great review to read as you have highlighted all the points we aimed to get perfect for our hotel; comfy bed, great showers, state of the art climate control, free wi-fi & a brilliant TV. I’m happy to hear the reception team were helpful, as always!
We are constantly reviewing feedback in an effort to improve the hotel, and you will be happy to hear that soundproofing is under constant review and we have some big changes to come in the months ahead. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bloc Birmingham soon
London, UK
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Room small but clean and perfectly formed.

Location is a bit "dead" but within 10 mins walk of city centre.

One (minor) comment to management if they're reading: one very small sachet of shower gel and a single drinking cup is not enough for a double room!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KingOfThePond
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Bloc Hotel Birmingham.
I’m surprised to hear that you found the Jewellery Quarter quiet. We have an abundance of bars, restaurants, tourist locations right on our doorstep! I always suggest speaking with the helpful Reception Team who will recommend some of the best places to visit whilst staying with us.
Thank you for informing us that you only had one shower gel & cup in your room.
I see that you have travelled as a couple; the Housekeeping Team prepare the rooms based on the number of guests booked in that evening. So if they see there are two guests they double up on everything. Please accept out apologies if this was an inconvenience during your stay. Just ask at reception or call down and we will deliver more toiletries to your room on request. In the meantime I will forward your comments to the Housekeeping Team to monitor. Thank you again for staying with us at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews on trip advisor I was expecting alot more than I got when I arrived. I paid for a superior room which benefits from a window however the window did not open which made the room stuffy and I felt a bit trapped. I appreciate the idea of a 'wet room' but this resulted in the bathroom floor being soaking after use and the surrounding area of the outside of the bathroom also soaking wet. I had to put a towel down to prevent water from spreading around the very tiny room. The heating in the room took around 3/4 hours to warm the room and there was no kettle which is in my eyes a necessity in every hotel. The biggest down fall was the size of the room and the fact it had no natural ventilation and no fresh air. I did feel trapped and abit cage. There was no where to store my belongings. Most of them had to stay on the plastic floor. If you are looking for a comfortable stay do not come here. Plastic flooring, wet bathroom, no storage, no ventilation, not spacious in the slightest. Also you can hear everything happening outside your room. Myself and my partner was awaken at 8am by the sound of cleaners stomping around and vacuuming. Not to mention the very rude cleaner who knocked on our door at 11.01am implying we need to leave straight away. I didn't like the feeling of being rushed when I was about to leave anyway. The location was the best part about the hotel. All in all I would not stay here again. I prefer carpeted flooring, a window that can open, dry floors and a kettle.

• Stayed January 2013
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that bloc’s concept was not to your liking.
The wet rooms are angled on a slight gradient and therefore water should not reach into the room but drain away efficiently, even with the amazing monsoon drench shower on full power.
All rooms are fitted with individual, state of the art, Mitsubishi climate control units, as they supply filtered cool air and heating to the room they can take up to 20 minutes for the system to change settings and for it to be filtered into your room.
We do not hide that the concept of bloc features 10sqm rooms and are inspired by Japanese pods but the smart design makes them the ideal room for short stays. We supply three brackets with a hanger; additional hangers can be collected from reception, and storage space underneath the bed.
Check out is at 11am, this ensures that are rooms are prepared and inspected for check in at 2pm.
Kettles are not provided in the rooms, however, tea and coffee can be purchased at reception.
I will speak to the housekeepers regarding the noise you experienced, we time the housekeeping to ensure smallest disruption as possible; on weekdays the maids arrive around 9am and on the weekends they arrive at 10am.
We have generally received outstanding reviews but we are aware some guests prefer traditional hotels to the quality and design of bloc. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Had a great night at the hotel, all the fixtures in the room were top quality. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, got back at 5am this morning and the gentleman in reception was cheerfully and had a quick conversation whilst I waited for the lift. The only problem I found was that in the room I had with no window there was no way to turn the white light off that is behind the blinds, I found it a little annoying when trying to get to sleep, but its only a minor inconvenience that won't stop me from returning next time I'm in bham. Well done!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank tudrummer
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
The Team are always very happy to receive positive feedback from our previous guests and we make sure that all of these comments are passed on!
The light behind your blind should turn off along with the main room spotlights. If you could please forward your room number or name and date of stay to bookings@blochotels.com we will make sure our maintenance team fix this as a priority.
We look forward to welcoming you again for your next visit to Birmingham.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Clean and stylish rooms coupled with courteous helpful staff and a great location make this a fantastic hotel. There are some lovely places to eat nearby, I ate both nights at Pasta Di Piazza, they were always busy, nice atmosphere and good food reasonably priced. The surrounding area of the Bloc hotel is very nice and with the hotel well within easy walking distance of the city centre. I stayed here whilst on business so had a double room to myself, I’m 6ft 4 and had no problem fitting in the bed which was really comfortable, towels are great and the shower is fantastic! They are small rooms and you might struggle as a couple but for one they’re great when travelling light. I’ve used similar hotels in New Zealand so knew what to expect re the size. This is a great concept and very well delivered by the ever helpful staff and excellent service. I will stay here again and will recommend these to work colleagues . The only disappointing thing about this hotel is that there aren’t more of them! A+

Room Tip: I had a room with a window, I can imagine that the rooms without windows may feel a little closed in...