“Joe M Nottingham”

Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Joe M Nottingham”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Just ignore his review he's professionally miserable
I like bloc
But then again I'm easily pleased
I like it for it's no frills but attention to detail attitude. Clever business strategy (if deliberate?) based on assumption that many travellers business or pleasure don't want to eat in their hotel, and locating in an area with an abundance of nearby eateries suggest this.
Word to the wise though. Do something mire creative with your reception / lounge area (Joe agrees with this)

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Staff were very helpfull and friendly, unfortunately there was no kettle in the room you had to pay for hot drinks in reception I don't think this is acceptable as nite nite the same sort of hotel has this! Also was woken up numerous occasions by girls screaming and laughing in corridor at 2.00am also the walls were paper thin as I could hear everything from next door I won't say what I could hear but it wasn't pleasant! Thought I was in a swingers hotel I.e grunting! This was from 3.00am onwards.And after all that the man next door was snoring all night! Absolutely horrendous night sleep! Also the housekeeper was tapping the door 20 minutes before check out which I think is just rude, I could hear her doing this to everyone else's door too! So all in all I would never stay here again rather pay an extra £20 and stay at a decent hotel were I can actually sleep!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marcus W
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Unfortunately all I can do is apologise on behalf of the noisy neighbours you encountered during your stay as we do not have any control on what happens inside the rooms unless a guest reports any issues to reception. We do however during the day and night conduct security walk rounds and monitor the CCTV to make sure that guests go back to their rooms quietly and do not hang around in the corridors.
Checkout at BLOC Birmingham is at 11am. After this time the housekeeper will knock on room doors to make sure that the rooms have been vacated as some people assume check out is at 12noon. I would be interested to know what day this was so I could check the CCTV.
I will pass on your kind comments regarding the staff.
Once again thank you for your review.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We booked this hotel as it seemed similar to Citizen M which we had stayed at previously.

The rooms are small, however by having a smart use of space you don't really notice it as much. The beds were lovely and comfy, TV built into the wall and a full wet room with an AMAZING shower. The rooms were very clean, and access out of hours was easy. The location was great with plenty of lovely shops, restaurants within walking distance.

One weird complaint was the lift makes a really loud noise which was actually quite scary when first going in..

Other than that a good enough hotel for a weekend away but perhaps wouldn't want to stay for much longer than that due to the size of the rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Great review, thanks. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Bloc no doubt think they have a great concept in providing no frills ultra cool accommodation but it just didn't work for me. On first view the price of £55 per room might seem reasonable but when you realise that your room is circa 12 square metres including the wet room it starts to look like very poor value for money. As a property consultant I find it hard to disassociate the room cost from floor space when I could have had a room at 4 times the size in a nearby location for the same cost. Some of the bloc model is just plain annoying... As a business man I desperately needed somewhere to work so retired to the lounge to find six inch high tables and low vinyl covered pouffe's as seating. No power points to plug laptops into and actually no chance whatsoever of comfortably completing any work. Moreover, what makes this situation so utterly ridiculous is that no one ever uses the lounge. I know this from a regular guest who says that it is completely under utilised. I'm unsure what section of the market Bloc are trying to appeal to but as a businessman I would never go back, for an economy work stop over I would never go back and for a luxury overnight stay I would never go back... In summary, no reason whatsoever to ever go back. Bloc may think they are too cool to worry about value for money or providing basic facilities for business travellers but the seasoned traveller will see straight through the business model and see that Bloc offers incredibly poor value for money.
Other annoyances included doors being slammed all night which woke me up on three separate occasions (I was on the ground floor) and a general lack of storage space in rooms that can only be described as claustrophobic.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your constructive review. I'm sorry to hear that BLOC Birmingham was not to your liking. From the majority of TripAdvisor comments people seem to like the concept however we are aware that the product may not appeal to some people like yourself who associate size with cost.
You will find that BLOC Birmingham is competitively priced against other budget hotels within the city and that we do not portray to be a 4/5 star full service hotel however we do pride ourselves on design, quality and comfort.
I'm sorry to hear that you could not find the electrical points in the lobby area to charge your laptop. These are located on the floor by the seats in various locations. Reception would have been only to pleased to show you should you have asked.
People tend to use the lobby as a meeting place before going out to work in the morning and before they go out to sample Birmingham's restaurants and nightlife.
Once again, thank you for your review.
Wateringbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Bloc hotel is truly different than any other hotel I have been staying at. A friend recommended
the bloc hotel while I had to stay overnight in Birmingham. When I arrived after a tiresome train journey I was checked in ultrafast and given my room card to open the door. I was extremely surprised about the slick and chic rooms with flat screen TV and high speed internet via Wifi or if you brought your internet connection cable via cable.The room was not big but perfect. Well thought out with exceptional space management design. And now the best: I took a shower but this is not a normal shower. It is called a monsoon drench shower. It was a first for me but now I want one for home. I never thought I would write about having a shower but this was simply the best. There is a big square with a lot of holes in it on the ceiling (like a shower head) and that is were the 'drench' is coming from. As there is not a shower cubicle the whole bathroom is part of the shower. Water galore. The towels were soft and thick just to complement this fantastic showers. Not the usual thin and sometimes rough hotel towels.
There is no restaurant in the hotel but plenty of vending machines in the foyer. And as there are lots of good restaurants and pubs nearby it didn't matter a bit.
And of course I better mention the staff who were friendly,funny and helpful.
Anyway, got to go and see where I can get one of these showers.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank John-Paul H
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your review regarding your first experience at BLOC Hotel Birmingham. If you liked BLOC Birmingham you wait until BLOC Gatwick opens! All I can say is..........WOW!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend and just wanted somewhere in a good location to rest at between shopping, restaurants, bars and clubs. This was perfect. The room was small but perfectly formed. I opted for an upgraded room with a window and I'm glad I did. I've stayed at Nite-Nite up the road before which didn't have that option and it did feel weird not knowing the time of day/weather until you got up and went out. The quality of the fixtures and fittings meant I didn't feel like I was in a budget hotel. The design meant we didn't feel claustrophobic and the staff were warm and welcoming. Only drawback was that I wasn't told that 'late checkout' at a cost of £20 meant that I had to leave at 1:30pm so I was a bit put out to be told that on return to the hotel at 4:30pm! But to their credit, a big deal was not made of the issue and I was ready to leave anyway so no harm done.
Bed was comfy, bathroom/shower great. Just wish there was underfloor heating as the bathroom floor stayed wet after being used.
I'll be back, and look forward to the new 'long stay' apartment rooms being available :-)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Great review thank you.
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night by myself, the rooms are small but I knew this already, they are very well laid out and really well designed! No window which I also knew about, this felt strange but was good in one way as it was pitch black when the lights went out and I slept so well! Beds are really big and comfy! Nice TV mounted into the wall! Ceiling shower is also divine! Only things I can really moan about are no kettle for a cuppa you have to pay for a hot drink. I'd stay here again, I like modern and it's good just to have a sleep and not too expensive!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MrAdyyy
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for the review. Hopefully you will be back to visit soon!