Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Priceline
US$196
US$180
1,059 results
All reviewswet roomjewellery quarterno windowrooms are smallcity centrevending machinewindowless roomst paul's squaremonsoon showernearby ncpjam housestorage spacecomfy bedair conshort staygreat showerbedside table
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Not a great stay overall - two things really bothered me.

1) The windows don't open. I realise this is becoming quite common in newly-built hotels and I've no idea how this has come to be acceptable. So the first room I was allocated smelled bad and felt really stuffy. The receptionist was helpful and was able to get me another room which didn't feel quite as stuffy or smelly. Still, the carpets in both rooms, and in the corridors in fact, were worn and really quite dirty, with lots of stains, etc. Disappointed to find the rooms not as fresh and clean as I'd like them.

2) Sound insulation is poor so you can hear your next-door neighbour(s). Mine watched a lot of tv until late. I don't think they had it on particularly loud, but the walls are thin. I used earplugs but could still hear them, so I didn't sleep too well. I'd also get woken up by doors slamming in the corridor through the night, although I must point out this may not be an issue for rooms not located right near one of the fire-doors.

On the plus side, all receptionists were friendly and helpful, and it's in a nice and quiet part of town, at least on my stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Marie L
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We do not use carpet within the hotel. What is used is a product called BOLON flooring. BOLON's unique structure incorporates a specially formulated yarn which is woven into textile flooring. The result is an ultra hard wearing yet easy to clean product which eliminates the issues associated with traditional textile carpets such as flattening, wear and loss of colour.
May I thank you for your review and kind comments regarding the staff you encountered during your stay.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Enjoyed the experience, apparently it's the "pared down chic" concept- I'm not sure what that is, but I liked it.
Good night's sleep.
Great shower.
Staff very pleasant and helpful.
Did not like the tiny simplified TV controller - not a big deal.
Would have liked tea/coffee in room but I have read BLOC's comments on this.
Flying from Gatwick soon and may try BLOC's new hotel there.

Room Tip: Don't expect a window.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank McCeeBee

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. If you enjoyed BLOC Birmingham wait until you've stayed at BLOC Gatwick!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Myself and a friend decided to go with this hotel for the Men's Roller Derby World Cup in March. It was perfect for an event such as this (out all day, only coming back to sleep) as it was little hassle to come in and out and the room was small, but affordable and really good quality for what you pay. I wouldn't say come here if you're looking for a romantic vacation away or anything like that, but more for the business trip type or if you're going to be out all weekend. The bed was MASSIVE and really comfy, tv built into the wall and mood lighting was awesome. I will say one thing we found hilarious was the fake-window you get when you don't get a window. (Psst, getting a window makes literally no difference in my opinion, room was still enjoyable) It's basically a wall with a curtain which shows through fake morning-light. Rather confusing at 3am but apart from that really cool! The showers are awesome, though I will say try to turn on the roof-shower rather than the detachable one as I had an incident with my clothes being on the towel rack and accidentally turning on the detachable one! Best shower I've ever had though. Never wanted to get out!
The staff were really helpful and friendly, answering any of our questions and the parking discount was great! If the event is hosted in Birmingham again I'll definately be coming back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erin T

That's what BLOCs all about! Hopefully we can welcome you back soon. Great review, thanks.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Just ignore his review he's professionally miserable
I like bloc
But then again I'm easily pleased
I like it for it's no frills but attention to detail attitude. Clever business strategy (if deliberate?) based on assumption that many travellers business or pleasure don't want to eat in their hotel, and locating in an area with an abundance of nearby eateries suggest this.
Word to the wise though. Do something mire creative with your reception / lounge area (Joe agrees with this)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Staff were very helpfull and friendly, unfortunately there was no kettle in the room you had to pay for hot drinks in reception I don't think this is acceptable as nite nite the same sort of hotel has this! Also was woken up numerous occasions by girls screaming and laughing in corridor at 2.00am also the walls were paper thin as I could hear everything from next door I won't say what I could hear but it wasn't pleasant! Thought I was in a swingers hotel I.e grunting! This was from 3.00am onwards.And after all that the man next door was snoring all night! Absolutely horrendous night sleep! Also the housekeeper was tapping the door 20 minutes before check out which I think is just rude, I could hear her doing this to everyone else's door too! So all in all I would never stay here again rather pay an extra £20 and stay at a decent hotel were I can actually sleep!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marcus W
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Unfortunately all I can do is apologise on behalf of the noisy neighbours you encountered during your stay as we do not have any control on what happens inside the rooms unless a guest reports any issues to reception. We do however during the day and night conduct security walk rounds and monitor the CCTV to make sure that guests go back to their rooms quietly and do not hang around in the corridors.
Checkout at BLOC Birmingham is at 11am. After this time the housekeeper will knock on room doors to make sure that the rooms have been vacated as some people assume check out is at 12noon. I would be interested to know what day this was so I could check the CCTV.
I will pass on your kind comments regarding the staff.
Once again thank you for your review.