“Quirky!”

Bloc Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights whilst visiting the gadget show at the nec. On arrival we were greated by a lovely girl on reception. Very friendly and helpful (as were all the staff during our stay). She gave us individual passwords so both our phones and laptop were linked on to the Wifi and we were able to check in a few hours early as our room was ready. Room was compact, but it was clean, cosy and the mood lighting was a nice touch! Bed was big and comfy, extra pillows were provided too. Shower in the wet room was amazing and easily big enough for two ;-). Only downside was no drink facilities in room, but the coffee machine in reception is fab! We'll definitely stay here again.

Some fab restaurants in the area so advise you to avoid Pizza quarter take away! Was cold, wrong order and had to wait forty minutes despite ordering on line. Dubious staff hygiene too :-(

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank purplesuzyq2
Laura S, Ops Development Manager at Bloc Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Great review, thank you. Hope you enjoyed the Gadget Show.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,028)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel as I was watching a show at the nearby NIA Arena (about 10 min walk) which is very handy. The hotel on the whole was very good; clean, comfy, stylish. Perfect for a night. I liked it so much I planned to stay a few more times during the coming year as I have shows booked at the NIA, however I been put of by what I experienced the morning of checking out. At 8.15 in the morning, the cleaners started to clean and with it making the loudest noise they possibly could; banging, smashing, knocking hover against the doors, the hover being switched on and off every 5 minutes, banging trolleys against the walls. It was horrendous. This woke both me and my partner up, and we couldn't even get back to sleep as the noises were going on for over an hour. Not only did the cleaners make the loudest noises I have ever heard in a hotel, but the lift was very loud and vibrated the walls when someone got in it, especially if your room is by the lift.
I was really disappointed as I was looking forward to coming back to stay, because nearly everything was fantastic but if I'm going to be woken up at that time in the morning I would rather stay else where.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
With reviews written like this it helps if it mentions the floor/room that was stayed on/in then the CCTV cameras can be checked and the housekeeper in question can be spoken to.
One thing that has changed since your stay is the time that the housekeepers start work in the morning. Mon-Fri they start at 9am. Sat-Sun they start at 10am.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked this hotel as I wanted something different for a surprise anniversary trip for my partner and didn't want a run of the mill travel lodge etc. The hotel itself is located in Birmingham's jewellery quarter which is about a 15 minute walk from the centre of the city and worth it as it's outside all the hustle and bustle in a mostly quiet location.

On arrival the reception staff were polite and helpful. Our room was on the third floor at the front of the hotel. It was petite, but very trendy with a purple light by the window. The bed was right up against the window and was larger than a standard double and very comfortable. There was a HD TV set within the wall opposite the head of the bed. Overall feel of the room was very modern and classy, especially with the really well designed bathroom. I looked forward to getting back to it after a long day exploring Birmingham.

The bathroom was in a mostly(!) frosted glass compartment. The main shower head was a massive square about 40cm x 40cm and made for lovely long spa-like showers. This is a wet room though so don't bring your PJ's in with you as they will get drenched!

There is a bedside unit to one side of the bed (the side not up against the window) but this is the only place to put anything as there is no other shelf or sideboard. There are three hooks behind the door to hang coats and stuff.There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room so if you like a coffee first thing bring a travel kettle as there is space and a plug socket for this on the bedside unit. There was a coffee machine in reception but you'll have to pay and it was out of order during my stay. I couldn't get the WiFi to work, but to be fair I didn't ask reception for help with it either. The AC in the room was really useful, with the control easy to understand and within reach of the bed. It made for a nice little extra.

I paid extra for a room with a window and feel that without this it would have felt a bit claustrophobic in the room. Generally though it was what I wanted, a bit different, definitely trendy and in a really nice part of town. Everything was really clean and looked in good condition. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a room with a window.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Natalie A

Thank you for your detailed review. It's reviews like these that help other guests decide whether this is the hotel for them.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We chose to stay in Bloc for two nights and really enjoyed it. We'd actually been a couple of years before and were impressed then so knew we'd be coming back. The rooms are clean, simple and compact. The bathroom is pretty small and its worth leaving just about everything (towel, other toiletries, wash bag) in the bedroom when you want a shower because it does get very wet and steamy in there. We also booked a room for friends and they enjoyed their stay too. A little freshening up of the paint and finish would help because we thought this probably hadn't been done since the first time we stayed but it wouldn't put us off coming again. The staff on reception were wonderful too - friendly, kind and accommodating.

Room Tip: We chose to have a a window because we were staying two nights but a windowless room was great when...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VioletAnnie

We aim to please! Glad to hear you still enjoyed BLOC second time round and thank you for recommending us to your friends. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I enjoyed the simplicity of the room, and slept well. If you just want a bed, and not all the extras that don't need to pay for, then this is ideal.

Pros
- Comfy linnen and bed
- Friendly staff
- Clean, modern
- Good value for city centre location
- Pretty central location, depending where you need to get to, 10 min walk from ICC

Cons:
- No storage space other than the bed, made it difficult to tidy stuff away
- Poorish noise insulation vertically

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nickthevet

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Great room layout, comfortable bed and great shower. The wi-fi was non existent and the air con didn't work but for the price and location it is worth trying this place. A short walk into central Birmingham and plenty of nice restaurants just around the corner.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank yggdrasil1

Thank you for your review. The review mentions that the wifi was non existent and that the air con in your room did not work. I would like to know on which day and room this was so I can check if it was reported to reception. I have checked with reception to date and the hotel has not received any queries regarding the wifi being non existent on any days or indeed any queries regarding the wifi access codes given out to guests not working.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Not a great stay overall - two things really bothered me.

1) The windows don't open. I realise this is becoming quite common in newly-built hotels and I've no idea how this has come to be acceptable. So the first room I was allocated smelled bad and felt really stuffy. The receptionist was helpful and was able to get me another room which didn't feel quite as stuffy or smelly. Still, the carpets in both rooms, and in the corridors in fact, were worn and really quite dirty, with lots of stains, etc. Disappointed to find the rooms not as fresh and clean as I'd like them.

2) Sound insulation is poor so you can hear your next-door neighbour(s). Mine watched a lot of tv until late. I don't think they had it on particularly loud, but the walls are thin. I used earplugs but could still hear them, so I didn't sleep too well. I'd also get woken up by doors slamming in the corridor through the night, although I must point out this may not be an issue for rooms not located right near one of the fire-doors.

On the plus side, all receptionists were friendly and helpful, and it's in a nice and quiet part of town, at least on my stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Marie L

We do not use carpet within the hotel. What is used is a product called BOLON flooring. BOLON's unique structure incorporates a specially formulated yarn which is woven into textile flooring. The result is an ultra hard wearing yet easy to clean product which eliminates the issues associated with traditional textile carpets such as flattening, wear and loss of colour.
May I thank you for your review and kind comments regarding the staff you encountered during your stay.