“Weekend Stay For NEC Event”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45
Ranked #50 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Anytime-anywhere
“Weekend Stay For NEC Event”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South during the Clothes Show Live at the NEC.
The Hotel is a great base for both the NEC and Birmingham City Centre situated about a ten minute drive from either location.
Inside the Hotel is modern and stylish, very clean and as the building itself is small it is easy to find everything that you need ie; restaurant, lifts etc
The staff at Reception were both very friendly and attentive during check in, recommending travel routes to the NEC and offering advice on bus times etc. I genuinly felt as though the team were interested in us as guests without being intrusive.
Breakfast was included in the room rate which was a welcome surprise. Small selection of hot items, and all the usual continental choices you would expect. It was all self service so we were able to have as much as we liked (which we did!)
Overall we had a great stay at this Hotel and despite our initial misgivings on location found it an ideal base to travel between the two areas of the city - highly recommend staying here.....

Room Tip: You should be ok at this Hotel rooms wise, all are modern, stylish and are quite obviously newly bui...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dangel37
Daniel Y, Reception Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
We really appreciated your positive and informative review of our hotel. I will be passing all of your comments onto the relevant departments and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This hotel is new, clean and large rooms. I was really impressed especially I got the room for under £40. There is a secure car park within the complex. I was extremely pleased. Also if you walk out of the hotel and got to the right, there is a great indian restaurant. Reasonably priced and great food.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fitzy06
Thank you for your review, we're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. As a Holiday Inn Express, we strive to be a Great Hotel that Guests Love. I will also be sure to pass your positive comments onto Balti King next door!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Spent another great night at the holiday inn. Went to staff party and stayed rather than getting taxi home. Room brilliant clean tidy and bed comfortable. Staff polite and helpful, breakfast ok. Special thanks to Daniel and and Katy who located my lost!!!purse and manager Zoe who ensured we were all happy with services. Not located in the better ares of Birmingham but parked car in secure parking and can't fault anything . Well done in time of recession great to find a hidden gem

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tyson2_10
Thank you for leaving such a positive review of our hotel. We're glad to hear that everything was ok with your stay - I will be sure to pass your comments onto the staff.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Great hotel and fab location for Solihull, Birmingham city centre, the airport, NEC and M6/M42 but for heavens sake, DO NOT PARK YOUR CAR IN THE SURROUNDING ROADS!

One of the people in my party didn't park it in the hotel car park and for some reason thought it would be a good idea to park in the road next to the hotel, Kathleen Road, he came back the next morning to find his car keyed from one end to the other and a note left on the window screen!! Apparently, the hotel has been contacted by residents from this road asking them to inform guests not to park in this road as parking is extremely limited for residents as it is.

You have been warned! :-/

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank janeyjane1
Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and it is unfortunate that a member of your party received damage to their car due to parking it in a nearby road. We do provide on-site secure car parking for a small charge, but for guests whos vehicle exceeds the height restriction, or who choose not to use our car park, are advised to park in neary Geraldine Road (not Kathleen Road), as there is space next to the hotel that isn't directly used by residents. Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2012

First thing about this hotel is the elavator it is crazy slow. I would use stairs but use a wheelchair so a bit difficult.

The room was an accessible with shower which I hate as I prefer a bath. The room was nice and big though. Why was it at the end of the corridor I wonder. I had to push my wheelchair all the way through the thick carpet. Don't understand why they put the room al the way at the end.

Bed was a big let down it reminded me of the cheap Ibis beds with matress on what felt like a hard wooden base. The shower was at its highest setting was a bit of a challenge to get it down to a managagable height. Looks like they don't expect a wheelchair user to use the accessible room.

First morning I left room and towels had been left at door so I had to move them as I use a wheelchair and can't step over them. Then came back that evening the room had not been cleaned. I suppose a couple of towels dumped at room door constitutes cleaning the room here.

Still a decent new hotel with a computer at reception. This you may need as the free wifi I got 56kps download just about dial up speed.

The car park is nice as its covered but you have to pay for it but I would say it is worth it.

Room Tip: Get a low floor as it takes a long time to get to high floors in lift.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mac147
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. We have taken your comments on board and will be ensuring the shower heads in accessible rooms are lowered in the future. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

stayed in this hotel when 3 rooms were booked for us under that persons name for 3 nights for our company event at the NEC.
On the first evening (Thursday) we waited nearly and hour after ordering our 3 meals despite being the only ones in the resurant.
We returned from our event on the Friday evening to discover a hotel resturaunt that doesn't serve evening meals on Fridays and Sundays. Very little else locally so we finished up at KFC.
We came down to breakfast on Saturday morning to discover hot breakfast is only served after 7.30. We needed to be out by that time so had to make do with toast on Saturday and Sunday.
As we were very tired from long days we decided to eat in the hotel again on Saturday evening. There was only us 3 and another couple there. My two colleagues both ordered side dishes with their meals which only arrived when we had almost finished eating. When this was commented on the barman/waiter simply laughed and walked off.

Altogether not a pleasant experience and I wont stay again in this hotel.
I would add that that the person who booked the rooms for us was not staying with us so has no implications in my personal comments and feelings of those of us who did stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Daniel Y, Reception Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your recent stay with us. Let me take this opportunity to apologise for the service you experienced. I assure you that this is not the normal service you would expect from our hotel and I have already documented your comments. I am sorry that our offerings did not meet with your expectations and will certainly look into this. It is the feedback we receive from our valued guests, like yourself, that enables us to target problem areas and, as you have pointed out, on this occasion our restaurant service let us down and we will take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. If you would like to contact my General Manager Zoe Jeyes directly(gm@hiex-birmingham.co.uk) to allow us the opportunity to investigate further with regards to your comment regarding our employee who served you I would be most grateful.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Stayed for a Saturday night after football visit to city centre, and en-route to NEC/Airport. What a fantastic hotel. Spotless clean, great comfort - beds, showers, and facilities, really stylish design, a perfect value for money rate, great staff and overall ace. The place to stay in Birmingham if you want the Airport/city centre or NEC.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 396IanH
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We cannot overstate how nice it is for our staff to hear that guests have enjoyed their stay and that they will be staying with us again in the future. The fact that our hotel is conveniently located between the NEC/Birmingham Airport and the City Centre on the main A45 is very handy for a lot of our guests, including yourself. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you should you stay with us again in the future.